Callum Wilson

Strawberry

I did wonder whether Wilson has been protecting his hamstring. I don't think he's been going at full pelt, and in my suspicious mind, I wondered if he was saving himself for the World Cup. It now looks like there's a longer term problem (surprise, surprise)

Isak looks better in a withdrawn or wide role, so it wouldn't surprise me if we still went for Pedro. 

Edited by Cronky

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I do wonder whether Wilson has been protecting his hamstring. I don't think he's been going at full pelt, and in my suspicious mind, I wondered if he was saving himself for the World Cup. It now looks like there's a longer term problem (surprise, surprise)

Isak looks better in a withdrawn or wide role, so it wouldn't surprise me if we still went for Pedro. 

He looked a bit off pace against Forest I thought but until he came off against City he was moving pretty well. I think he’s always prone to injuries as we’ve seen.

Hamstrings are very tricky to manage particularly at this level. Even if it’s minor it will be a few weeks out. You wonder if this move for Isak comes after knowledge he may be out much longer. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

17 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

He looked a bit off pace against Forest I thought but until he came off against City he was moving pretty well. I think he’s always prone to injuries as we’ve seen.

Hamstrings are very tricky to manage particularly at this level. Even if it’s minor it will be a few weeks out. You wonder if this move for Isak comes after knowledge he may be out much longer. 

I just don’t think we can take the risk at this stage of our growth plan on someone who is already feeling an injury three games in. Fantastic player but totally unreliable fitness across a 40+ game season.

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

I just don’t think we can take the risk at this stage of our growth plan on someone who is already feeling an injury three games in. Fantastic player but totally unreliable fitness across a 40+ game season.

I agree. You can’t look to push on in the league and have cup runs relying on Wilson up front. It’s totally unrealistic. 

He's one of those players that he wouldn't have been anywhere near Mike Ashley's Newcastle without the injury problems.  So in a weird way, we only have him because his hamstrings are made of play dough.

It's so shit for him on a personal level.  He has the ability to play for England and be a 15-20 goal Barclays striker.

52 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Massive shame because he's class. Hopefully if Isak is good, Wilson coming on for 20-30 minutes or the odd spell of games here and there might mean he's a handy squad player moving forward and can manage his issues better.

Yeah good point. This might be how we can get something out of him whilst limiting his injuries.

We all know that Howe doesn't throw new players into the mix immediately. By the time Isak is ready to take on a full game, it'd probably be after Wilson recovers. I'd be surprised if Isak starts at Wolves.

1 minute ago, Emotic said:

We all know that Howe doesn't throw new players into the mix immediately. By the time Isak is ready to take on a full game, it'd probably be after Wilson recovers. I'd be surprised if Isak starts at Wolves.

I think it depends on the situation. With Trippier and Pope he didn't waste much time.

10 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Agreed, which is why I feel the Isak move wasn’t a direct result of the Wilson injury as some have suggested.

Edited by SUPERTOON

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agreed, which is why I feel the Isak move wasn’t a direct result of the Wilson injury has some have suggested.

Completey agree with this, they wanted him earlier than this week, just Real has finally agreed to lower the price as no one has paid the release clause and they want to cash in with time to reinvest.

32 minutes ago, Conjo said:

3 weeks can quickly develop into 3 months if his recovery doesn't go as planned and he has set backs. We saw that last season with his calf injury. Thank god we're getting Isak.

When he got injured last season he’d played every game pretty much as we had no other striking option. I hope the improved fitness and full pre-season means it’s only a small hamstring injury. I think they’ll manage him better to avoid longer term problems and if Isak comes in that’ll work in his favour anyway. He’ll have to accept that his body just isn’t up to playing every game but he still has a massive role to play.