Callum Wilson

Strawberry

how long's a scan normally take, anyway? #worrying. their inability to build a perfect squad to account for something like this in one window suggests, as i have been correctly saying all along, that the regime is in over their head and don't know what they're doing.

Edited by thomas

16 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

And the premium for taking a brilliant player away from his club at the 11th hour.

Think we just have to stick with the strategy now, and hope Wilson doesn't miss too much.

Agreed, I can’t see them changing their plans and approach at all now.

Just now, thomas said:

how long's a scan normally take, anyway? #worrying. their inability to build a perfect squad to account for something like this in one window suggests, as i have been correctly saying all along, that the regime is in over their head and don't know what they're doing.

And don’t forget all the straw posters who laughed at you when you said this.

Guest reefatoon
7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You lot keep assuming they are viewing Chris Wood as a complete dead weight like we are. They're not.

Then that’s even more worrying.

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You lot keep assuming they are viewing Chris Wood as a complete dead weight like we are. They're not.

They haven't got much choice after spending £25m on him. They are hardly going to publicly admit they bought a donkey.

Its massive that a striker with a similar return to Wilson is recruited. 

I know he averages half a season, but he delivers goals when he does feature.

Need a 10 goal striker why he doesn't play, because Wood and none of our current group will get anywhere near that.

Its becoming obvious now we need to act.

7 minutes ago, thomas said:

F6568463-2C6D-46E6-BDC1-2DCCA35CB9BD.gif.43e062f6bc1857f54d382d8e6a7efef7.gif

9 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Hasn’t taken long for the toys to be thrown out of the pram I see? :lol:

Just wait til the window shuts.

Some are already straining at the leash..

Guest reefatoon
6 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

35 points in 17 games with Wood as the forward. I believe our overall average is 2 ppg, so arguably we are more effective with Wood in attack.

You think he will be the right replacement for Wilson then for us to push on this season? Personally I wouldn’t want to be facing the season with him as our main striker if Wilson is out for any period of time. 

37 minutes ago, jack j said:

Deserve everything we get is a bit dramatic like. We've signed over half a team in less than 9 months. One of them has turned out to be shite

Ffp is obviously holding us back so we can hardly just go and throw 100 million to sign a couple like isak and maddison which I'm sure they'd love to do

Everyone knows Wilson is a crock and even if he isn't injured now he will get injured at some point in the future. We more than likely have Pedro but in the off chance we don't and if we don't get the attacker(s) in we need then the window has been a failure. I have faith but fuck me, our last signing was 1st July. Its now the 23rd August. :lol:

Not bedwetting which seems to be the word of the forum whenever someone has a minute bit of concern. I have faith that they will sort it in the coming 8 days. But ngl, just am a tad disappointed that this hasn't been sorted by now given the time it's been since our last signings and Ekitike knocking us back.

Just now, reefatoon said:

You think he will be the right replacement for Wilson then for us to push on this season? Personally I wouldn’t want to be facing the season with him as our main striker if Wilson is out for any period of time. 

Obviously Wood isn't what we need to push on. But to be fair, pushing on from 70 points total [with 4 games to spare] is expecting a bit much.

11 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

35 points in 17 games with Wood as the forward. I believe our overall average is 2 ppg, so arguably we are more effective with Wood in attack.

He did his job, we avoided promotion so we can hardly gripe about losing £25m, but that still isn't going to make him any more useful to us this season, neither does it mean we'll get our money back if we decide to sell. It's a write off basically, we'll need a proper alternative to Wilson if we want to do anything significant this season.

If this does turn out to be something serious then you'd hope the people in charge would be willing to bring in a striker now, assuming one Ashworth and Howe really like is available.

Seems inevitable that we'll bring in a big money striker at some point in the next couple of years, I have to believe it's financially feasible to do it now if the desire is really there.

Haven't really followed the transfer stuff too closely, anyone able to give me a summary of what the assumed reason is that we're not spending really big this summer? 

Hypothetically, would you rather pay 30/35m for a Broja loan/obligation now or keep our powder dry somewhat and sign an Isak next summer for 55/60m?

I'm asking this question because I believe this is exactly what we are doing.

12 minutes ago, LV said:

Just wait til the window shuts.

Some are already straining at the leash..

Come on, most were saying since last season a striker is necessary. I'm not bothered if we do nothing, but it won't help us. If we lose him for a few periods over the season or for most of it, then I genuinely dont think Wood will offer much at all.

Just my opinion, dont get me wrong though, if it was a minor injury and he misses 4 games and we look again in January, I could live with that, but if he doesn't make enough appearances due to injury, I feel we need more.

Call it overreaching, but his history particular with us, has shown he gets injured a fair bit.

21 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Come on, most were saying since last season a striker is necessary. I'm not bothered if we do nothing, but it won't help us. If we lose him for a few periods over the season or for most of it, then I genuinely dont think Wood will offer much at all.

Just my opinion, dont get me wrong though, if it was a minor injury and he misses 4 games and we look again in January, I could live with that, but if he doesn't make enough appearances due to injury, I feel we need more.

Call it overreaching, but his history particular with us, has shown he gets injured a fair bit.

It looks like a ready made stand-in replacement for Wilson was never a top priority. Maybe they (Howe and co) thought they could keep him healthy (unlikely). Or maybe they thought they could get by with Wood in any case (more probable). We'll likely never know the rationale. After Botman, it did look like their priority was getting in attacking options up front for whoever they decided to play there, but none have materialized.

TBH I understand frustrations overall with their slower, conservative growth strategy especially after we get told we're "the richest club in the world" and our strong finish last season + good start to this one. It'd be nice to go hog wild, pedal to the metal and just see where we can go. But, my joke post above aside, I don't think failing to do so is malicious or incompetent - a place where a lot of vented frustrations eventually wind down to accusing them of. And I think it pays off in the long run.

Edited by thomas

@thomas I guess people who managed to have conversation with Howe, have managed to uncover that we are active in the market, but he wasn't giving anything away, claiming Pedro was not accurate, and that decisions are going on in the background that he's not involved in.

You have to take what you can from that.

I'd assume we will still be looking to bring one or two in still 🤞🏻

4 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure we have the finances to go out and get a lead number 9 now tbh. When the likes of Pedro are going for 30 then a proven player is likely to cost double.

In my opinion this guy is looking like a lead striker that is ready to go. Don't really see him as a backup guy anymore, I think he's too good. Hard to believe he's 21 years old really. He plays like a senior experienced striker, and he's available for £30 million.

Icon_CI_SPORTS_20220320_43220121.jpg

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

His record shows he has like, as hard to believe as that may be :lol:

Not the way we play though.

I was getting at, from now onwards, of course most strikers have found double figures once or twice in their careers, but utter shite if they hadn't [emoji38]