Callum Wilson

Strawberry

On 03/10/2022 at 13:46, Lush Vlad said:

Came in here to post this.  I never realised it until we signed him.  Lovely smile, handsome chap, kind face.  Absolute shithouse of the highest order.  

That body check on, I think it was Ream?  Knew exactly what he was doing.  Always chirping and chipping away at defenders.  Decided to get stuck into the Fulham fans a bit with his celebration, even :lol:  Which seems harsh, they are like polite Rugby Union fans, probably even more tame, really.  Trippier was having none of it and seemed to be pushing him away.  

Not sure who we rely on more out of Bruno, ASM and Wilson.  But my God, the way we attack is totally different and so much better with Wilson leading the line.  He regularly seems to be marshalling the wide men and demanding the ball off the midfielders.

Just a great 9.  Really hope he can last at least get 10-15 games in a row without getting crocked again.    

Bruno, ASM, Isak, Wilson.

Can't wait to see them all on the pitch at the same time and I just pray it clicks. If it does - we'll batter a decent team eventually.

Every time you see one of the wide men failing to get the pass in, when you watch the replay he'll inevitably be pointing both arms at his feet screaming they should have put him in regardless of how good their own position was. The best strikers have that selfish streak, and he's up there with the best, that's for sure.

3 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Can't see Southgate selecting him as he's just too much of an injury risk 

It's fine. It's not like Tammy and Toney got too many minutes in the last 2 games. 

I love Wilson, he's great.

Only 10 touches vs. Fulham, only one more than Mitro, but scored once and nearly scored two more times. I mention the number of touches because it may contradict certain expectations about what a forward is and should or shouldn't do. The usual stuff like "focus of the attack", "hold the ball up" etc. doesn't really apply. What he does do is find space in dangerous areas and exploit it ruthlessly when given the ball there.

• 2 weeks later...

Felt for him when he was subbed, he looked a bit forlorn. Can barely recall a single decent cross which he might have converted. I'm prepared to give Miggy a pass as he does so much other good work, but Murphy, fuck me.

Been reading a ton about Wilson and it's clear as day that he's massively underrated in the whole - if he was able to stay fit for an entire season he'd be a 20+ goal striker but you'd really get to see him bully and press so well. His execution of Howe's pressing system is really incredible. When you look at his physical presence, leadership and yes, the shit housing - he's so vital to the way we play. 

25 minutes ago, Ste said:

Said on his podcast that Man United players even said it was a penalty for us. 

Also said he would have done the same as Ronaldo as he thought the free kick had been taken.

Can guarantee Shearer would have tried but I bet he'd have laughed it off when it got pulled back rather than sprint into the ref's face with 8 of his mates.

37 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Can guarantee Shearer would have tried but I bet he'd have laughed it off when it got pulled back rather than sprint into the ref's face with 8 of his mates.

Aye, that’s the key difference.