Callum Wilson

Strawberry

22 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Can't wait for a few Callum goals in the next 3 games followed by another "few weeks" injured with "a tweak" that turns out to be over 2 months

Well that's why we laid out all that money on Isak. But it's the players either side of him who are the bottleneck, there's just not enough coming from out wide or from Willock.

5 minutes ago, Menace said:

I'd find a way of playing both up top, moving Isak to the wing isn't whats needed.

He wouldn’t be playing as a winger though, he would replace Almiron who plays a lot narrower than a winger would

10 minutes ago, Menace said:

I'd find a way of playing both up top, moving Isak to the wing isn't whats needed.

Jesus christ. 

Do you honestly think if you pick Isak in the position that shall not be named [because it confuses some people] he'll spend 90 mins running the line?

People who say play him in that position are taking into account the way he actually plays the fucking game. If the game plan works he'll be in that dreaded position for a maximum 5% of the match.

The problem we are addressing is a lack of finishing ability in the box, the solution is to pick such a player in a position that allows them to get into the box.

Maxi, Isak and Wilson up top has 3 players that can actually put the ball in the net at the PL level. You compare that to recently Isak + any 2 other senior players on our squad, it's no wonder we're not scoring. It'll be night & day with those 2 back.

All comes down to service though. We're still struggling to give whoever is up top decent chances. I do think Fulham will try to come at us, being at home and all, so it could give us plenty of chances to exploit gaps with through balls. Here's hoping.

4 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

All comes down to service though. We're still struggling to give whoever is up top decent chances. I do think Fulham will try to come at us, being at home and all, so it could give us plenty of chances to exploit gaps with through balls. Here's hoping.

I think we wwill be better at sides that come at us as we can't break one's down that don't. 

2 hours ago, NWMag said:

He wouldn’t be playing as a winger though, he would replace Almiron who plays a lot narrower than a winger would

Well said. Isak can play anywhere across a front 3 and might benefit from getting the chance to run at people more. He doesn’t need to operate as an out and out winger though. I think Howe will play him as part of a 3 with Wilson central (god forbid Almiron on the right again Christ)

Edited by ExiledGeordie

I think it's important that they find a way to get Wilson and Isak playing effectively together. They're the goals so ideally we can get them sharing the pitch as much as possible. 

Howe has been wedded to the 4-3-3 since the turn of the year; I could be wrong but a look at the line-ups suggests Man City at home on 19 December as the last time we didn't set up this way. It's crucial that Howe finds another way of playing if we're going to have any chance of sustaining our form. Not saying our philosophy should be to adapt to every opponent, a la the Pardew days, cos that's no way to play the game. But to have some adaptability, in order to get the most out of the squad. 

Shelvey and Bruno could probably manage the CM in a 4-4-1-1, but we've not got the wide men for that; you're looking at Fraser, Murphy and Ritchie as our only orthodox wingers. I would be really curious to see what a 3-4-1-2 might look like with this squad, with the width provided by wing-backs rather than the set-up above, or sticking with 4-3-3 and putting a striker on the wing. 

Pope

Schar          Burn        Botman

Trippier                                       Targett

Bruno      Shelvey 

Joelinton

Isak                    Wilson

Could even put Miggy in that Joelinton position, in a reprisal of his role under Rafa, buzzing around the attackers and making space. In fact he'd probably be more suited than Joe, who could play in Shelvey's position above. 

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think it's important that they find a way to get Wilson and Isak playing effectively together. They're the goals so ideally we can get them sharing the pitch as much as possible. 

Howe has been wedded to the 4-3-3 since the turn of the year; I could be wrong but a look at the line-ups suggests Man City at home on 19 December as the last time we didn't set up this way. It's crucial that Howe finds another way of playing if we're going to have any chance of sustaining our form. Not saying our philosophy should be to adapt to every opponent, a la the Pardew days, cos that's no way to play the game. But to have some adaptability, in order to get the most out of the squad. 

Shelvey and Bruno could probably manage the CM in a 4-4-1-1, but we've not got the wide men for that; you're looking at Fraser, Murphy and Ritchie as our only orthodox wingers. I would be really curious to see what a 3-4-1-2 might look like with this squad, with the width provided by wing-backs rather than the set-up above, or sticking with 4-3-3 and putting a striker on the wing. 

Pope

Schar          Burn        Botman

Bruno      Shelvey 

Joelinton

Isak                    Wilson

Could even put Miggy in that Joelinton position, in a reprisal of his role under Rafa, buzzing around the attackers and making space. In fact he'd probably be more suited than Joe, who could play in Shelvey's position above. 

Sorry, but there's no way you can convince me that putting Burn into our first XI ahead of Maxi is a good idea

To me it's quite simple, you've got 90% of it  -

Pope

Schar   Botman

Shelvey 

Bruno       Joelinton              

Isak                                  Maxi

Wilson

I'm not in favour of shunting Isak out onto the wing at all. However, given our genuine lack of quality on the flanks I think it's probably our best option until January. 

I've no idea if he can play on either wing, but he's certainly a much better footballer than Fraser, Almiron, Murphy etc.