Football governance

Nobody

4 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Exactly.  They 75% thing will be for normal ops, not when 6 teams are actually breaking the rules of membership.  Get them to fuck.

Aye, but there doesn't seem to be an automatic link between breaking a rule and expulsion as a sanction.

I am in law, although I'm not an expert, I expect the PL will be able to sue for an injunction or damages due to a breach but it would have to be done through the courts rather than through the PL's own procedures... Perhaps they'll need to do arbitration first. :hom:

Just now, Shearergol said:

Other clubs would be far too worried about loss of earnings. TV money will plummet.

That's the problem.  Loads of other clubs will have their finances predicated on the status quo, so it's not quite as simple as Take Your Toys And Fuck Off.

Thank god we're the Balance Sheet Champions.  Might count for something :lol:

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Other clubs would be far too worried about loss of earnings. TV money will plummet.

It will plummet in any case.

The next lot of TV rights were just about to go out to tender. They will be worthless until this is sorted out.

They will plummet even if the big 6 remain the EPL because it reduces the PL to a lesser competition, with the big 6 playing reserve teams.

It will turn the PL into the League Cup.

12 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Of course, we all know that the governing bodies of football are bastions of integrity, transparancy and fairness....

I bet someones been to Asda and bought a shitload of brown envelopes.

I didn't suggest they were all those things. I meant keeping their integrity on their current stance on this specific matter.

8 minutes ago, Rosenrot said:

Aye, but there doesn't seem to be an automatic link between breaking a rule and expulsion as a sanction.

https://resources.premierleague.com/premierleague/document/2020/09/11/dc7e76c1-f78d-45a2-be4a-4c6bc33368fa/2020-21-PL-Handbook-110920.pdf

Page 96.

So what he’s also found there is that expulsion is an option but it would need 3/4 of the clubs to vote for it. Which is why they (Super League) have 6 clubs signed up to it. Spurs are essentially the veto on any immediate action being taken.

Its absolute treachery! Cunts 

The idea of the teams playing in the Super League and the PL is so utterly terrible from a format point of view.

You have a ropey first 5-10 games to the season in the PL and suddenly you're out of the running. You're guaranteed qualification to the next season's Super League but have no chance of winning the league. Essentially the rest of the league campaign is made up entirely of dead rubbers. The play-off system keeps you alive a bit longer in Super League, but a few more losses and that's over too - no threat of relegation there either. You're left playing 30-40 dead rubber matches with no jeopardy or motivation.  Cup competitions will probably have been sacked off to facilitate it all too.

All three leagues affected here must have the balls to realise they have the upper hand long term. The success and brand of these clubs is based upon their place within the wider football ecosystem. It would be painful in the short term but PL/Serie A/La Liga would be better without them and eventually would thrive. 

Edited by ponsaelius

The idea of clubs being more dependent on match-going fans and less on TV deals sounds cracking to me. All those squad-fillers on £40k a week will have to make do with £15k. I'm guessing they won't be ditching football for a career driving Uber.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The idea of the teams playing in the Super League and the PL is so utterly terrible from a format point of view.

You have a ropey first 5-10 games to the season in the PL and suddenly you're out of the running. You're guaranteed qualification to the next season's Super League but have no chance of winning the league. Essentially the rest of the league campaign is made up entirely of dead rubbers. The play-off system keeps you alive a bit longer in Super League, but a few more losses and that's over too - no threat of relegation there either. You're left playing 30-40 dead rubber matches with no jeopardy or motivation.  Cup competitions will probably have been sacked off to facilitate it all too.

All three leagues affected here must have the balls to realise they have the upper hand long term. The success and brand of these clubs is based upon their place within the wider football ecosystem. It would be painful in the short term but PL/Serie A/La Liga would be better without them and eventually would thrive. 

Agreed. I keep reading that nobody will want to watch the domestic leagues anymore, that's crazy talk.

Nobody's going to choose a glorified friendly tournament over a real one once the novelty has worn off.

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I'm looking forward to the blue pitches with a huge Pepsi logo in the centre circle and drinks brinks sponsored by Gatorade.

Could they not just make it a five a side tournament held in a cage on a big ship?

Don’t forget the time outs to bring you important messages from their partners. 

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I'm looking forward to the blue pitches with a huge Pepsi logo in the centre circle and drinks brinks sponsored by Gatorade.

Could they not just make it a five a side tournament held in a cage on a big ship?

Where MOTM gets to choose which member of the opposition to lob over board into shark infested waters?

Now this is the sort of shit I can really get on board with.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

Seems like I'm the only person not outraged by this. Football sold its soul many years ago. This is just a by product of what the Premier League and its broadcasting partners, mainly Sky have created since the 1990s.

I class myself as a "traditional" supporter. Been going since the early/mid 80s but over the last few years my interest in the sport has been decreasing rapidly to the point where I watch very little live Football on TV, and I include my own team in that. I'll watch 5/10 mins then inevitably my attention strays to other things and I end up switching channels.

If what happens here ends up triggering some sort of "reset" in the English game I'll be delighted, but first these 6 clubs need to be told, once you're gone, you're gone for good and let's get back to a more level playing field in the English game.

I am outraged but yes, I agree this all started with the PL and Sky and has been rumbling towards this for years. 

I agree with Neville as well but the facthe was ranting on a station which helped contribute to this didn’t escape my notice.