Football governance

Nobody

Could be the end of the World Cup and Euros as we know it I guess, if anyone good enough to be bribed into the ESL is banned from it.  Be like team sports at the Olympics with it coming down to which country happens to have the best of the rest along with some gifted amateurs. Then of course if you win the world cup the ESL will hoover up your star men and in the next tournament you'll be shit. 

Who are Chelsea going to loan all their superfluous squad members to if ESL players are banned from domestic leagues?

1 minute ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Greed took over the moment Chelsea and Man City were allowed to be funded by oil money to hoover up most of the last 15 titles between them. It’s obviously a joke idea if they stayed in the PL as well as this super league but if they left the PL then that gives the rest of us hope and a chance to win things for once as that’s the only way it’s going to happen. Things just carry on as they are then Man City will just continue to buy titles with their oil money. Removing them only makes English football better in my view.

do we all not want Newcastle to get taken over with and start buying things with erm oil money?

4 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Theres nothing stopping each countries FAs from banning players from their national team is there?

You don’t have a right to be picked for the international team so I can’t see a legal comeback. It would be like when the England Rugby team would only select domestic players (don’t know if that’s still a thing)

dunno about England Rugby but Irish Rugby definitely still have that policy Irish player Simon Zebo went to france a few years ago and hasn't been picked once since 

Edited by jdckelly

Would be nice if the ‘Legacy Fans’ of the teams formed new clubs and started at the bottom of the Pyramid like AFC Wimbledon. Leave the empty shells behind to play in their bullshit competition and eventually get their clubs back with fan ownership

12 minutes ago, Hhtoon said:

As much as I want the PL to come out and take action now, they need to check the legal position first. The Super League teams have a bit of an advantage at the mo as they've been planning this and they must feel they have a strong legal position to support them staying domestically.

Fucking hope not though, want them gone or totally humiliated

If UEFA or the FA can prevent ESL players from representing their countries, that would be a massive pain in the arse for the money league.

1 minute ago, Candi_Hills said:

If UEFA or the FA can prevent ESL players from representing their countries, that would be a massive pain in the arse for the money league.

honestly I'd think they'd like that, why risk their assets playing for somebody who's not them 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, but only because the broken structure of football means it’s the only way to compete. 

Imagine a PL in which the greedy 6 have left and we're bankrolled into becoming as strong as the teams in the mega league. We'd walk it every year and it would fucking stink.

The thing that annoys me most and should annoy all other football fans the most imo is the intent behind this when you look at the structure and the numbers. It's essentially just content creation. With the lack of competition for entry and the structure of the rounds and the prize money there is really 0 competitive incentive. It's just there to be there. And to drive ad revenue by its existence and it's starting with what it see's as the most "attractive brands" to ensure the highest audience figures possible. More than anything it just all sounds so fucking boring and unspectacular. 

2 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

honestly I'd think they'd like that, why risk their assets playing for somebody who's not them 

Exactly what was said on Sky when they were quoting a board member of one of the big six, said they'd love that.

2 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

Players do like playing for their countries though. It would make them think twice about who to sign for and could go a long way in undermining the ESL.

Just now, Candi_Hills said:

Players do like playing for their countries though. It would make them think twice about who to sign for and could go a long way in undermining the ESL.

thing is its funny what a big wad of cash can do to someones opinion 

3 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

Imagine a PL in which the greedy 6 have left and we're bankrolled into becoming as strong as the teams in the mega league. We'd walk it every year and it would fucking stink.

Yep. Football is fucked now it’s too far gone. There should have been salary and spending caps as well as a certain amount of your squad having to be homegrown/ from your academy from just after the PL started, or certainly before the 100k plus a week contracts became the norm. Should have been a limit of £25 a ticket and standing sections too. It’s too far gone and this implosion has been coming for a a while. 

12 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

And whilst you perhaps couldn't exile the clubs from the competition I would wager you'll be able to stop players playing in domestic leagues and cups if they are playing in the Super League. Certainly they could be barred from International selection, looking at Rugby Union as an example. 

That's a really good point. Someone like Jonny Wilkinson only moved to Toulon after his England career was over. I half remember Toby Flood moving to France when he was earlier in his career and could have perhaps played for England a few more times instead. All the money was in the French league then, perhaps still is judging by what Saracens did or tried to do. 

I do think it's easier (but still very worthwhile) for rugby to adopt a take the money or play for national team stance because money is relatively new to the sport having only been officially professional since the mid 90s whereas football has had a headstart on greed. 

To mix yet more further sporting similarities, this whole thing goes away if the football authorities fully ostracise the rebels like in the World Series Cricket days (but perhaps with more long term success). 

Apparently the government are considering options such as making the ESL a national interest, so the games legally have to be broadcast on free to air TV, which would massively devalue the broadcasting rights.

Not giving them work permits when required.

Not giving them policing permits, so games can not be policed and therefore can not go ahead.

Taxing them, and heavily.

Edited by Stifler

1 minute ago, jdckelly said:

thing is its funny what a big wad of cash can do to someones opinion 

True, but they do still like their world cups. I couldn't see someone with Ronaldo or Haaland's drive sacking off their country. You'd have to think the likes of Bayern, Dortmund, PSG (for now), oil-rich Newcastle and a few other good sides would become pretty attractive places to play. The super league wouldn't have it all their way, I don't think.

17 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Theres nothing stopping each countries FAs from banning players from their national team is there?

You don’t have a right to be picked for the international team so I can’t see a legal comeback. It would be like when the England Rugby team would only select domestic players (don’t know if that’s still a thing)

I think the issue would initially be that they are contracted to those clubs now so seems unfair to ban them mid-contract. Hopefully new signings would be fair game if they want to take that route... would certainly highlight player priorities