Football governance

Nobody

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Any point in a poll asking who would watch any Super League games, leave cost of watching it, would you? Absolutely no chance I’d watch a single match, not even if we were in it, glorified show matches when it comes down to it. I’d rather watch us in The National League than effectively kill all other football.

Would I fuck, not even if it was free to air on BBC 1.

7 minutes ago, RS said:

President of Real Madrid, 74 year old billionaire Florentine Perez reckons :

"Young people are no longer interested in football.  We have to raise more money organising more competitive games.  "This is not a league for the rich, it's a league to save football"

All this in a closed league with no relegation, not involving the top European clubs and very little chance of young people actually attending a game. 

He's sort of right. Young people aren't interested in attending football matches as much these days, certainly not in our country. A study of Premier League season ticket holders a few years ago had the average age of a Premier League supporter at 45. This of course is mainly in part to Premier League clubs pricing their young fans out though over the past 20 or so years which has ended up costing them a generation of supporters.

My son is 8. He's football daft but in his class at school there's only 2 others (from 30) who are interested in football. 

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

He's sort of right. Young people aren't interested in attending football matches as much these days, certainly not in our country. A study of Premier League season ticket holders a few years ago had the average age of a Premier League supporter at 45. This of course is mainly in part to Premier League clubs pricing their young fans out though over the past 20 or so years which has ended up costing them a generation of supporters.

My son is 8. He's football daft but in his class at school there's only 2 others (from 30) who are interested in football. 

They’d be better off fucking off to create their own esports super league tbf

Young kids are not ever that interested in football though. Playing it of course - and participation figures are still enormous at youth level. But not following a team or watching one - it's just not something that translates to short attention spans or is something that accessible to young kids.

I don't think kids really get into football (ie watching/going to games) until they're in mid teens - probably even later for most. It is something you grow into later in life. I think the idea that there is less teenagers/20-30 year olds interested in football now is a total nonsense. The opposite is true in fact. The sport is more popular than it ever has been. 

8 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It’s probably due to the fact that a lot of families can’t afford the prices of attending games. The whole glitz of falling in love with football was actually going to games and getting that personal experience 

Edited by et tu brute

Fans need to boycott everything to do with the six, not watching the games, not betting on them, not following them on social media. Anything that devalues their brand and makes them be seen as toxic from businesses/media/sponsors.

2 hours ago, BlueStar said:

I do like the way Fernandes' broken English insta quote of "Success can't be buy!" has become a rallying cry. :lol:

Something that's been lost a bit in how evil it is is potentially how shit it is, even as a cynical money making scheme. Will people really watch it?  So the idea is you get these clubs to constantly play against each other because you look at a Man City-Barcelona Champions League semi final, and see the PPV and ad revenue for that and think you can rake that in every week?  The appeal of these clubs is the huge worldwide interest they have amongst millions of fans, and all the fans are saying "This is shit, don't want it", but you think that's fine because there's supposedly millions more waiting in the wings in China and Singapore who haven't particularly paid much attention thus far but are gonna want to invest the time and money on watching the same match every three weeks?  You've seen how foreign fans get involved in premier league teams, it's not just watching the players, they want to get on the forums, adopt the rivalries, learn the songs and the history.  That's the "cool" thing about football to non-footballing countries, not 90 minutes where, if you're not particularly familiar with what you're watching, nothing much really seems to happen. And you think you're going to have sponsors lining up to throw money at a football competition football fans fucking hate and will resent anyone who bankrolls it?  

Part of me hopes they go through with it and, if the 6 are in the Premier League or not, after the initial morbid curiosity dies down nobody really cares about it, players don't really want to play in it and it's just mentioned as a footnote on the inner pages and at the end of the sports bulletin like a shit Club World Cup that's going on in the background while people are engaged in their local competitions, with the big six either not there at all or playing a second string.  And hopefully everyone chucking money into ESL involvement or Juventus shares loses the lot.

The few thousand that attend each game against billions worldwide. It's all in the marketing and whilst I wouldn't have a clue how o market this to the world, I think JP Morgan might be in contact with the type of people that think they can.

We'll see.

13 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It's the virtual world, innit. Why bother trying to satisfy a number of fans that is restricted to the size of your multi million pound stadium, when there is a whole world of fans that can be accessed virtually.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Anyone got quotes from Sir John Hall from back in the day? I’m sure he was an advocate of this mid 90s. Just as well Ashley saved the day by making us too shite to be considered.

Ashley would definitely have the club competing in this league if he was given the chance. You’re right he’s fucked that over for himself though.

Edited by et tu brute

Guest neesy111
5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Anyone got quotes from Sir John Hall from back in the day? I’m sure he was an advocate of this mid 90s. Just as well Ashley saved the day by making us too shite to be considered.

He was actually but there was talk of a super league created by uefa back then.

Guest reefatoon
23 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Any point in a poll asking who would watch any Super League games, leave cost of watching it, would you? Absolutely no chance I’d watch a single match, not even if we were in it, glorified show matches when it comes down to it. I’d rather watch us in The National League than effectively kill all other football.

I'm dying to watch Liverpool Globetrotters V Real Rich Madrid, but if I miss it, I will just catch the next time they play each other 2 weeks later. 

Edited by reefatoon

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Ashley would definitely have the club competing in this league if he was given the chance. You’re right he’s fucked that over for himself though.

Club’s are starting to come out condoning this, let’s see if Ashley/Charnley will, I’ll not holding my breath 

6 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

It's the virtual world, innit. Why bother trying to satisfy a number of fans that is restricted to the size of your multi million pound stadium, when there is a whole world of fans that can be accessed virtually.

Well you've hit the nail on the head really.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

Well you've hit the nail on the head really.

Absolutely. They’ve maxed out their earning potential in the current structure and are moving on to the next more lucrative scheme for themselves. It will never be enough. 

Guest reefatoon
21 minutes ago, 54 said:

It's boring because teams can't compete with you lot anymore, due to the massive gulf in income, creating matches where teams play to try and not get beat. All competition died ages ago because of greed you fucking nasty old whopper of a cunt.  Bring it back to a more even keel and get the excitement back. Hope that's a glass of hot piss you rancid bastard.

8 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

He was actually but there was talk of a super league created by uefa back then.

Aye remember him talking about it on either one of the Black & White videos or something. Was just seeing that video going around from the 90s where he’s on the TV talking about Newcastle v Barcelona in the Super League.