Football governance

Nobody

11 minutes ago, Wullie said:

This is how I feel, I really think call their bluff on this, throw them out of the domestic leagues and see how much interest they actually get in their vanity project (without the current European champions or the runners up.)

As I said the other day, football is quite a dull game for about 85 out of 90 minutes, if you're lucky. It's what at stake that makes the later stages of the CL so exciting. Nobody goes out of their way to watch a group stage game between Atleti and Spurs and after the novelty has worn off, even less people will want to watch that fixture in this thing.

Aye, it's absolutely shit even if you do forget just how horribly cynical it all is.

Becomes even more shit if they can't even get the biggest teams from some of the biggest countries to join, it's destined to fail before a ball has even been kicked. Half the teams currently signed up already play each other at least twice a season ffs, it's going to be so engaging watching a Liverpool - Chelsea clash that means nowt for either team for the fourth time in a season :lol:

They have completely forgotten that football is about the nerves & the story behind the games. As has been said, take that away and even if you have the best 22 players in the world ok the pitch, it'll just be dull as fuck. 

Btw, while Atletico are obviously a big club, when Simeone leaves they could easily become the new Arsenal in La Liga for example.

So it seems clear that this is a universally despised idea outside of the board rooms of these clubs. 

Given that, how exactly do they intend to repay the bank funding it  (JP Morgan?). 

Lets assume fans of the 6 involved sign up for pay tv/streaming or whatever, where is the rest going to come from? Asia? Well renowned for paying for live events. South America? Far more interested in their own leagues. North America?...Don't care what people say, football (soccer) will always be a distant 4th choice for them behind NFL/NBA/NHL.

If it goes ahead, can't see it lasting more than 2/3 seasons

3 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Didn't Man City only sign up on Saturday? As much as I hate the money they've spent, they actually developed the area and made it more like a community club again. Didn't think Man Utd and Liverpool could get more hated as before, but congratulations, they are now. Arsenal and Spurs hahaha. Begging this works out or they're completely fucked.

No. They’re billionaires pouring  money into their investments. It’s business. When it comes to the crunch they couldn’t give a shit about Manchester or its people.

10 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

The boards of these clubs will have been fed a steady diet of absolutely slick as fuck glossy videos with pumping upbeat soundtrack, showing delighted fans crying with joy at their superstars competing in an elite league.   I'm sure some of them are doing a double take.

8 minutes ago, triggs said:

Considering the state of their website I doubt they had slick as fuck anything :lol:

Was probably just one basic line chart showing a hefty $$ annual growth 

1 minute ago, Kasper said:

Maybe they should sack their managers to change the conversation.

I’m seeing it more for Arsenal & Spurs mainly due to the fact they’ve been nowhere near ‘Super League’ status for a couple of years on the pitch, which is fair game imo.

Just now, Froggy said:

Man United and Liverpool didn't sign up for this shit, Henry/FSG and the Glazers did. Man United/Liverpool as a club hate this as much as everyone else.

The club are the fans, the owners are something separate, newcastle fans should know this more than any.

I do think though the fans of some clubs need to understand humility, relegations and promotions are something never experienced by many supports of these clubs, it’s something that should change imo (send the 6 to the bottom of the pyramid).

You can’t know white without black, and you can’t understand joy without pain. You need grounding and a lot of fans simply skip this and success isn’t appreciated and isn’t earned. It’s those fans that the owners tap in to when deciding shit like this and the top clubs have more of them than ‘legacy’ ones. 

14 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

if anybody is shaky on this its Chelsea/Man City they don't need the money and I'm baffled as to why they signed up in the first place they're in it for PR purposes 

A fear of being left behind?

It just takes one or two of the clubs to pull out and the entire thing will fall over IMO.

Woke up today a bit confident that a couple of clubs will wobble, as reported. I certainly don't think they'll find more clubs to join the 12 - then if Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool or Barcelona start getting cold feet, that's when UEFA/PL threaten them wtih the harshest punishment. FINISH HIM.

Really like how everyone has pulled together, fighting for the same thing. We're even cheering on PSG and UEFA, man :lol:

1 minute ago, gazza ladra said:

I suspect that Man City and Chelsea aside, they are all in serious financial trouble.  It's a gambit for survival.

Definitely. Perez gave the game away yesterday. They’re scrambling around and if the governing bodies hold their nerves and sanction them as threatened they’ll lose their nerve.

Just now, Ketsbaia said:

Woke up today a bit confident that a couple of clubs will wobble, as reported. I certainly don't think they'll find more clubs to join the 12 - then if Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool or Barcelona start getting cold feet, that's when UEFA/PL threaten them wtih the harshest punishment. FINISH HIM.

Really like how everyone has pulled together, fighting for the same thing. We're even cheering on PSG and UEFA, man :lol:

Shame this couldn’t be done for equally if not more important issues like racism. 

I'm quite enjoying the fact that everyone is calling out all 6 clubs with the exception of Chelsea, everyone just assumes that they are cunts, we hate them anyway and of course they will follow the money with no regard for anyone 

4 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

I suspect that Man City and Chelsea aside, they are all in serious financial trouble.  It's a gambit for survival.

Definitely, many of the clubs have faded glory, legacy costs and will be tanking cash.

Teams simply have to play and compete within their means. It'd be much better for competition. Financial fair play should really be ensuring this.

2 minutes ago, christ said:

Definitely. Perez gave the game away yesterday. They’re scrambling around and if the governing bodies hold their nerves and sanction them as threatened they’ll lose their nerve.

I really don't think that is the case for us at least. We have less debt now than when the Glazers took us over, and that's after the crippling affect of a pandemic. The only reason we remain in the debt is because the Glazers continue to take money out of the club. What they have taken out for themselves since they took over would have cleared our entire debt 3 times over.

7 minutes ago, christ said:

Well then they have nothing to lose. If it's that bad, what choice have they got? They spent themselves into a corner. It's ESL or bust.  

If the governing bodies call their bluff, we could see a few really big clubs "do a Leeds".  (please please please)

Edited by gazza ladra

If it fails the clubs involved still need to be punished, more than just points deduction, demotion to the bottom tier of football.

Sorry for the proper fans and that, but this is serious shit.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

Just now, gazza ladra said:

Well then they have nothing to lose. If it's that bad, what choice have they got. They spent themselves in a corner. It's ESL or bust.  

If the governing bodies call their bluff, we could see a few really big clubs "do a Leeds".  (please please please)

Could be a case that the balance sheet champions actually become champions. GWWA