Football governance

Nobody

54 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

I suspect that Man City and Chelsea aside, they are all in serious financial trouble.  It's a gambit for survival.

Which is entirely of their own making. They could have worked together with the rest of the football pyramid to bring players wages, transfer fees and agents under control, which they have driven the spilling rise of, but that would have reduced their advantage and opened up the door for other clubs to compete more with them.

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

Which is entirely of their own making. They could have worked together with the rest of the football pyramid to bring players wages, transfer fees and agents under control, which they have driven the spilling rise of, but that would have reduced their advantage and opened up the door for other clubs to compete more with them.

The state owned teams would just win everything then though

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

In fairness, that probably is what they should do if they are serious about it. But if any of them fold they'll come down like a pack of cards. Just got to keep the pressure up until someone breaks.

Just now, TaylorJ_01 said:

In fairness, that probably is what they should do if they are serious about it. But if any of them fold they'll come down like a pack of cards. Just got to keep the pressure up until someone breaks.

Well all it needs is just 1 club to retreat and then they can be lobbied to vote or abstain to take action against the other 5 clubs.

Its a clusterfuck

Guest reefatoon

Have to say, I haven't enjoyed football for a long time, find it boring as fuck, so I am quite enjoying watching this all fuck itself up the arse. At last we have a bit of entertainment for a change.

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Have to say, I haven't enjoyed football for a long time, find it boring as fuck, so I am quite enjoying watching this all fuck itself up the arse. At last we have a bit of entertainment for a change.

I feel exactly the same. Put Sky Sports on last night, watched it from 7pm - 8pm to hear what Neville and Carragher had to say, switched it off at 8, and then put it back on at 10 to see if they had any more interviews lined up. I'm not that bothered however it all ends up, I've discovered other interests away from football these past few years, but I'm enjoying all the drama and outrage!

38 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

honestly one of the things I don't get and maybe the amercians on here can explain it to me what the fuck is the appeal of the regular season in nfl etc 

You probably have to enjoy American football as a start.

For one, it’s a far more equitable league. Perennially bad teams in the NFL are so because of bad management/coaching, not because they’re financially poor. Any team can go from bottom of the league to a contender within a season or two. And playoffs are terrific entertainment.

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

You probably have to enjoy American football as a start.

For one, it’s a far more equitable league. Perennially bad teams in the NFL are so because of bad management/coaching, not because they’re financially poor. Any team can go from bottom of the league to a contender within a season or two. And playoffs are terrific entertainment.

Another thing about US sports is they actually have a balancing mechanism which is the draft which helps attempt to keep things competitive. 

President of Real Madrid, 74 year old billionaire Florentine Perez reckons :

"Young people are no longer interested in football.  We have to raise more money organising more competitive games.  "This is not a league for the rich, it's a league to save football"

All this in a closed league with no relegation, not involving the top European clubs and very little chance of young people actually attending a game. 

Any point in a poll asking who would watch any Super League games, leave cost of watching it, would you? Absolutely no chance I’d watch a single match, not even if we were in it, glorified show matches when it comes down to it. I’d rather watch us in The National League than effectively kill all other football.

24 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Find this more funny the more I think of it. Just the audacity of it. :lol:

Saying they’ll go and get all the best referees too. :yao:

If they are taking the Premier League referee’s then fucking go for it lads, god bless you all.

Just now, Tsunami said:

Any point in a poll asking who would watch any Super League games, leave cost of watching it, would you? Absolutely no chance I’d watch a single match, not even if we were in it, glorified show matches when it comes down to it. I’d rather watch us in The National League than effectively kill all other football.

It'll be added to my Ashley ventures shit list, personally. I'll get rid of Amazon Prime and stop shopping there as well, as hard as that is these days. 

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

You won't be able to watch the Premier League anymore either TBH, it'll be killed stone dead. Unless the clubs are kicked out.

There is definitely benefits of the US sporting model. It has checks and balances in terms of salary caps, equitable self-correcting mechanisms in terms of draft picks etc. That can make the system a little bit fairer for the teams involved in it - so long as your city has the critical mass and ownership capable of buying into it in the first place. 

But it's borne out of a totally different culture and structure. The power has already been historically consolidated in these teams/franchises from the very beginning, and fans have coalesced towards those sides, and that is the status quo that is accepted. The ladder has never been there anyway so it can't be pulled up.

Doing it in European football is just so fundamentally different because you're pulling up the drawbridge on historic 100+ year old clubs that have previously won titles, trophies and have competed at the top level in Europe. You're also pulling it up on thousands of other clubs that exist within the league pyramids of the various countries where the possibility is always there that one day you could do that. 

Edited by ponsaelius