Football governance

Nobody

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I bet they thought this was going to be met with great fanfare and people wanking over how great this was going to be. :lol:

Some will have been so naive as to think exactly that.  But some can't even grasp the concept of promotion and relegation, so fuck them.

9 minutes ago, Wullie said:

This is how I feel, I really think call their bluff on this, throw them out of the domestic leagues and see how much interest they actually get in their vanity project (without the current European champions or the runners up.)

As I said the other day, football is quite a dull game for about 85 out of 90 minutes, if you're lucky. It's what at stake that makes the later stages of the CL so exciting. Nobody goes out of their way to watch a group stage game between Atleti and Spurs and after the novelty has worn off, even less people will want to watch that fixture in this thing.

I'd be interested to see if one or more of them ends up with an ESL Mike Ashley in charge if they spend the first few seasons not competing at the top. You go to the board and say you've got $300m you can spend on three superstar players who might score you a few goals and let you finish 5th, or you can just give that out as bonuses to the board and dividends to shareholders, and then you might finish 10th, but who gives a fuck because your income is from just being in the league and being in matches against Real Madrid with ETORRO graphics all over the screen - not from prize money.

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

Some will have been so naive as to think exactly that.  But some can't even grasp the concept of promotion and relegation, so fuck them.

if anybody is shaky on this its Chelsea/Man City they don't need the money and I'm baffled as to why they signed up in the first place they're in it for PR purposes 

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I bet they thought this was going to be met with great fanfare and people wanking over how great this was going to be. :lol:

Chelsea and citeh will pull out. Imagine them being the ‘good guys’ in all this. [emoji38]

1 minute ago, BlueStar said:

I'd be interested to see if one or more of them ends up with an ESL Mike Ashley in charge if they spend the first few seasons not competing at the top. You go to the board and say you've got $300m you can spend on three superstar players who might score you a few goals and let you finish 5th, or you can just give that out as bonuses to the board and dividends to shareholders, and then you might finish 10th, but who gives a fuck because your income is from just being in the league and being in matches against Real Madrid with ETORRO graphics all over the screen - not from prize money.

This is such a great point, wow, I hadn't thought of that.

1 minute ago, jdckelly said:

if anybody is shaky on this its Chelsea/Man City they don't need the money and I'm baffled as to why they signed up in the first place they're in it for PR purposes 

Afraid of missing out. This founding BS is the carrot and they took it. 

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The boards of these clubs will have been fed a steady diet of absolutely slick as fuck glossy videos with pumping upbeat soundtrack, showing delighted fans crying with joy at their superstars competing in an elite league.   I'm sure some of them are doing a double take.

Even if it falls flat on its face, those clubs responsible need to be made examples of anyway.

Expulsion from the league if they go ahead with it. Massive points deductions  if they don’t? Is that even possible?

Just now, BlueStar said:

The boards of these clubs will have been fed a steady diet of absolutely slick as fuck glossy videos with pumping upbeat soundtrack, showing delighted fans crying with joy at their superstars competing in an elite league.   I'm sure some of them are doing a double take.

I doubt it. Nobody involved in this is capable of producing any slick content or marketing. 

Just now, Froggy said:

From what is being reported, they can't pull out. They signed a binding contract. Fan backlash and a reaction they didn't expect aren't going to be grounds for a termination.

Hope so. Utterly fucked themselves if so. The other 3 won’t pipe up now and no other team will accept an invitation, it’ll be 12 teams playing each other forever. Purgatory.

1 minute ago, BlueStar said:

Considering the state of their website I doubt they had slick as fuck anything :lol:

4 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

This is the future of arsenal and spurs. Imagine how irate their fans will be on YT channels, then [emoji38]

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

For me there's only two ways to go about it:

i) stop it at all costs, then significantly punish all involved.

ii) let them go, kick them out of all competitions and start the lengthy process of rebuilding the PL 'brand' (shudders).

As discussed before, Super League happening is dependent on the clubs still playing in their national leagues so option 2 isn't really an option.

i) they'll be allowed to do what they want as their army of lawyers wins

ii) they'll chicken out because of the threats and negotiations start on how to make life a little easier for the great top 6 in the future so this doesnt happen again.

2 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

But it’s not like they weren’t warned of fan opinion when project big picture reared its ugly head. 

Just now, Dokko said:

But it’s not like they weren’t warned of fan opinion when project big picture reared its ugly head. 

They had the backing of a few key pundits at that point, though (Gary Neville being one)

Didn't Man City only sign up on Saturday? As much as I hate the money they've spent, they actually developed the area and made it more like a community club again. Didn't think Man Utd and Liverpool could get more hated as before, but congratulations, they are now. Arsenal and Spurs hahaha. Begging this works out or they're completely fucked.

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

What we've ended up with here is exactly what was being discussed when they invented Big Picture as their own custom made alternative.  It's like that scene in The Simpsons, "first you said you didn't want me to buy a horse; now you want me to take it back.  Make up your mind!"

8 minutes ago, Sima said:

There’s some good news and bad news. The bad news is they’ve created a league that no matter how well you do in the Premier League, you’ll not be able to join it. Those of you who do get invited one day will not be permanent and you’ll not earn the same as the rest. I know, gutting.

On a more positive note, the good news is, us 6 have been invited, so...every cloud. You’re still thinking about the bad news aren’t you?

1 minute ago, nufcjb said:

Didn't Man City only sign up on Saturday? As much as I hate the money they've spent, they actually developed the area and made it more like a community club again. Didn't think Man Utd and Liverpool could get more hated as before, but congratulations, they are now. Arsenal and Spurs hahaha. Begging this works out or they're completely fucked.

Man United and Liverpool didn't sign up for this shit, Henry/FSG and the Glazers did. Man United/Liverpool as a club hate this as much as everyone else.