Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

The bottom line with VAR for me isn't so much about the game delays, the removal of in-the-moment excitement (which of course is still a huge factor).

it's the fact I feel like we're still not coming to the right decision, and it's only serving to hold a huge magnifying glass over how bad the decisions are.

Like most I was happy to give it a go but in its current format it quite simply cannot continue. Cliche but it's true - it's killing the game.

I don't actually have a huge problem with VAR being used for that, for consistency I just think it is generally being over used. I don't think it's VAR's fault either that the ref couldn't see that was accidental conduct that didn't impede Son who was clearly trying to buy it. It feels like refs feel like there are hundreds of fouls going on at all times and so when VAR comes along they are always obligated to give them. However I feel if VAR is there for anything it is to check game changing moments like fouls that might be missed. If the ref didn't see it checking it feels within the spirit. How the VAR ref didn't take one look at it and tell the ref on pitch 'nothing in it' and that be the end of it I will never know. VAR was wanted because of refs missing things or getting it glaringly wrong, not because every minor coming together needed 5 minutes of contemplation. 

I think it’s very useful for offside decisions as these are hard to call for linesman due to the speed of the game. But they need to improve how it’s used for that because it’s still not working like it should 

8 minutes ago, duo said:

I can't think of one positive thing VAR has brought to the game - can anyone?

It has made the fame so much worse. Cheating has become more prevelant, not less. 

Was actually quite refreshing watching the WC qualifiers without VAR, could watch the game properly then and celebrate a goal as it went in. 

Guest neesy111
10 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Completely. Been saying it for a while. He'll be sacked if they don't win the cup. 

Hope so.

What's Jose's contract there? If we're taken over I'd love our new owners to go for him. It might be a disaster but I think it's time we saw him at a club not with realistic aspirations of being guaranteed a position among the elite. He might do great things with smaller expectations. 

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

What's Jose's contract there? If we're taken over I'd love our new owners to go for him. It might be a disaster but I think it's time we saw him at a club not with realistic aspirations of being guaranteed a position among the elite. He might do great things with smaller expectations. 

Not sure if its true but is was mentioned that it would cost £30 million to get rid of him

1 hour ago, andyc35i said:

I think it’s very useful for offside decisions as these are hard to call for linesman due to the speed of the game. But they need to improve how it’s used for that because it’s still not working like it should 

I'm with Wenger in thinking offsides should be fully automatic at the top level and the ref would just get a notification on his watch if something was offside - remove the human aspect completely from that equation.

22 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

It's been changed tons of times and a wrong offside has always been shit, which is why the human element needs to be removed.

I still think its impossible to judge it to within mm's, how can you tell the exact moment the pass leaves the foot ?