In memoriam

James

The two first (out of three) to win the World Cup as both player and manager passing away with just a few days apart. Giants of the game! 

31 minutes ago, Flip said:

The two first (out of three) to win the World Cup as both player and manager passing away with just a few days apart. Giants of the game! 

In every way.

37 minutes ago, Flip said:

Great rivalry between Beckenbauer and Bobby Charlton too on the international stage, both gone within a couple of months

Knew of him before I knew anything about him. Our PE teacher in middle school would always be shouting at someone 'who do you think you are, Beckenbauer?' When trying to do something clever. 

RIP.

The intro to Italia 90, my first World Cup, on ITV had a football spinning around and the icons of previous world cup on the panels:

Charlton, Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Rossi, Maradona

and we've lost them all in a head-spinningly short space of time

6 hours ago, joeyt said:

Great rivalry between Beckenbauer and Bobby Charlton too on the international stage, both gone within a couple of months

Sky Sports Gold wasn’t worth watching most of the time - but the first ever programme on it was Bobby Charlton’s Football Scrapbook (?) [memory might have programme name wrong] where he watched an old game with a former player.  First one was Charlton and Beckenbauer watching the 1966 WC Final.  It was like a director’s commentary in a studio.  Not sure if it ever made its way to YouTube - I had it on VHS which would have been in a dump somewhere in Northumberland for a couple of decades 

At international level, he started off in central midfield, and then became a sweeper, playing behind an orthodox centre back. I don't think he had to put in many tackles from there, but could control the game from behind his team mates. (That probably wouldn't work in modern football) That's my recollection, anyway. 

Another one of my near-contemporaries gone. (Sigh)

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Mel Blyth (fella who destroyed Tony Green's career) has passed away.

How did he destroy his career ? 

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

First World Cup Final I can remember (just turning 6). RIP

I was 11 I think it was my first worldcup memories. Seen bits of the Mexico worldcup but wasn't a fan then.