Elliot Anderson

joeyt

If he can keep developing physically and improve his reading of the game - yeh. 

Longstaff really knows his role and how to dovetail others. But Anderson is technically superior. He has nicer footwork, see’s cuter passes, better short passing etc.  but Anderson looks a little slower, less stamina and despite good feet not as agile as he should be. 

On 25/09/2023 at 19:39, Gawalls said:

Let’s not get carried away

I read an article today whereby Pat Nevin thought Elliot Anderson was going to be "exceptional" in the Premier League.  Maybe I'm a bit more knowledgeable than you.

It might be fourth division but when they went into a game needing eight goals and he had something like two goals three assists... that shows some real character I think.

Excited to see what this dude can do, I hope he gets some real minutes this season. I do feel like it's kind of shit or get off the pot at this point though, we need to see it this season or I'm not sure we ever will.

17 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

It might be fourth division but when they went into a game needing eight goals and he had something like two goals three assists... that shows some real character I think.

Excited to see what this dude can do, I hope he gets some real minutes this season. I do feel like it's kind of shit or get off the pot at this point though, we need to see it this season or I'm not sure we ever will.

It's not meant as a criticism - I think Anderson is a very talented player, and hopefully will be a part of the first team squad from years to come.  But he isn't playing 4th tier defenders at the moment - he needs to be (and is) far more careful re taking risks.

6 hours ago, Miercoles said:

He's 20

14 hours ago, Rod said:

I read an article today whereby Pat Nevin thought Elliot Anderson was going to be "exceptional" in the Premier League.  Maybe I'm a bit more knowledgeable than you.

There's a lot of wiggle room between 'going to be exceptional' and 'he reminds me of Foden'

Former Chelsea and Everton winger Pat Nevin speaking to BBC Sport on players who have caught his eye: "One player I had seen a little before was young Elliot Anderson up at Newcastle. I couldn't quite make my mind up from his performances last season. Was he going to be a very good player or an exceptional one? I have now got to see him in the flesh a few times this season and the answer is clear, he will be exceptional. 

"He caught my eye not only because of his match intelligence and skill, but the fact that he is already keeping star signing Sandro Tonali - who cost over £60m from AC Milan - out of the team.

"There was also a more personal reason for my interest. Elliot hasn't chosen between representing Scotland or England. He was in the last Scotland Squad but withdrew at the last moment with an 'injury', though he played a few days later for his club. As a Scot I obviously hope he chooses Scotland in the end, but I have no doubt England manager Gareth Southgate has been on the phone and I do not blame him."

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

"He caught my eye not only because of his match intelligence and skill, but the fact that he is already keeping star signing Sandro Tonali - who cost over £60m from AC Milan - out of the team.

:lol: :lol:

5 hours ago, KDT said:

He's 20

Exactly. Why does he need to shit or get off the pot at this stage? I feel too many of us expect everything all at once. Elliott's a hugely promising talent, but it's still a big step up to be performing at that level week in week out.

If anything, I've been surprised at the impact he's had recently, he's definitely looking more equipped for the challenge this season. With Barnes, Joelinton and Willock all out at the moment, he's got a big part to play over the next few games, but let's not carried away one way or the other.

5 hours ago, Gawalls said:

There's a lot of wiggle room between 'going to be exceptional' and 'he reminds me of Foden'

I think Elliots' style and the way he carries the ball is very similar to that of Foden.  Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting he's as good as Foden ........ yet.

He's growing game by game. Defensively he's so strong in the tackle, but also seems to have a good partnership with Gordon going forward. Only a matter of time until his first goal comes. 

Think he lacks a bit of finesse at times, seems to run into players a lot, but then he does that when they have the ball as well so it works both ways. He's in their faces a lot and can't be much fun to play against. I think our press is much better when he's playing.