Joe Willock

I think he is overrated on here like many others are at times. He’s a good player for games when there’s tons of transitions. 

I think that Willock, like a number of other players, are all part of a greater thing that just hasn’t had the chance to run this year.

Willock and Joelinton are so effective when both in midfield. Like how Murphy plays better with Trippier behind him. 

2 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Looked overly eager today, needs to get some composure back in his play.

I think that's fair. He brings a lot of assets to our game like pace and skill, but he does still lack the composure of a truly top player.

Shows glimpses. But still not fully at it and a bit infuriating in the final third.

I love his casual, languid style. Just seems to stroll about, whilst actually being incredibly fast without looking like it. 

But it’s annoying when it comes to making a decision in and around the box. He usually doesn’t make one in time or it’s the wrong one. 

Really important player for us. Hope he is back firing soon. Arguably my favourite player in the squad. 

I think a problem is that all of our good footballers were on the left today for a lot of the game with Tino, Gordon and Willock. And when the ball goes over to the other side it was Longstaff, Krafth and Murphy

So it put a lot of emphasis on our left side being really intricate as we had extremely little threat on the other side

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I think a problem is that all of our good footballers were on the left today for a lot of the game with Tino, Gordon and Willock. And when the ball goes over to the other side it was Longstaff, Krafth and Murphy

So it put a lot of emphasis on our left side being really intricate as we had extremely little threat on the other side

That was very noticeable.

He's always been a streaky player , never got why some thought  him coming back into the team was suddenly going to make us class again.

Edited by Geogaddi

Felt like we were down to 10 when he was on, offered nothing and gave them more space on that side. Would rather of had Ritchie on I think!

This lad got a lot better when he was injured, like. :lol: 

Can't give him too much stick; this is the thing with long term injuries, players can sometimes take a good while to find their feet again. 

I thought he was like a lot of our players tonight. Just bang average at best and nothing that really stood out as good or bad. Never got going or got into the game. 

Reactionary I know but based on recent performances and the "relatively" small fee considering age and English tax, we paid for him. If we have to sell, would anyone be happy to move him on in the summer to free up funds. 

Really shit today but there is clearly a good squad player there and he should not be sold before the likes of Longstaff!

1 minute ago, nufcjmc said:

Reactionary I know but based on recent performances and the "relatively" small fee considering age and English tax, we paid for him. If we have to sell, would anyone be happy to move him on in the summer to free up funds. 

I know he wouldn’t fetch much. But Longstaff has to be first to get moved on for FFP purposes. Home grown counts as pure profit or some shite? 

No idea who would be interested in Willock or what his value would be after a long term injury. But I’d rather lose him

than Joelinton. Even though he is one of my favourite players. 

His strengths as a player really rely on him being sharp. Quick feet in tight areas, that change of direction and burst of pace to beat a man.

Him looking increasingly like he's a bit injury prone doesn't bode well IMO.

23 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Taking wider things into consideration such as likelihood of clubs wanting to sign him compared to Longstaff, then maybe yeah. But I'm not enthusiastic about the idea.

He's having a bad time at the minute but I think he just needs to hit his stride again. These injuries have disrupted a key moment in his development as a player, but I don't think we should be abandoning hope.

42 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

This lad got a lot better when he was injured, like. :lol: 

Can't give him too much stick; this is the thing with long term injuries, players can sometimes take a good while to find their feet again. 

Also his best spells in the side were with Joelinton, they seemed to interchange down the left very effectively. He's not been so effective this season, but might still be working his way back into the team. He was out for a long time.

Just now, 80 said:

Taking wider things into consideration such as likelihood of clubs wanting to sign him compared to Longstaff, then maybe yeah. But I'm not enthusiastic about the idea.

He's having a bad time at the minute but I think he just needs to hit his stride again. These injuries have disrupted a key moment in his development as a player, but I don't think we should be abandoning hope.

I agree that longstaff is the first out the door above the other outfield players but if you don't have a buyer you cannot sell. Also with long term injuries they sometimes don't come back the same player. 

I guess thanks to ffp maybe gone are the days of 40m for bog standard English prem players so he wouldn't attract a hefty fee anyway.