Joe Willock

33 minutes ago, Erikse said:

That midfield keep being mentioned as someones percieved strongest one, but has it really ever worked that well? A few games maybe, but this midfield 3 had some issues last season. I remember us calling for Longstaff to come back from injury as soon as possible at the end of last season. It looks good on paper (Joes + Bruno), but it just hasn't really worked yet, unless there's something that I'm forgetting. Ofcourse that doesn't mean that it can't work in the future though.

I don't recall which combo worked that well, the problem with two Joes + Bruno would be both Joes seem to work better on the left. Then Tonali and Bruno hadn't really quite hit it off during Sandro's short stint in the side before the ban. I would expect after a year's training Tonali should have a lot better understanding of his role in our side.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I'm not a fan of Longstaff, but the one thing he does give you is plenty of box to box running, same as Willock. He's just much worse on the ball if and when he gets it. But at least that allows Bruno to play his game, as he is really dependent on having two runners either side of him if he's going to be playing the deep lying midfielder.

That said, if Bruno, Willock and Joelinton are your first choice midfield, where would that leave Tonali?

Longstaff runs and covers a lot of ground, but he's not particularly quick, so we still get caught with that huge gap between defence and midfield. 

The difference I noticed on Saturday with Willock who's not exactly a defensive minded player, being able to get back to cover quickly was very noticeable. 

2 hours ago, Erikse said:

That midfield keep being mentioned as someones percieved strongest one, but has it really ever worked that well? A few games maybe, but this midfield 3 had some issues last season. I remember us calling for Longstaff to come back from injury as soon as possible at the end of last season. It looks good on paper (Joes + Bruno), but it just hasn't really worked yet, unless there's something that I'm forgetting. Ofcourse that doesn't mean that it can't work in the future though.

I think those 3 played Southampton away (win), Arsenal home (loss), Leeds away (draw), Brighton home (win, Willock got hurt). <- the brighton match was when it really looked like it was clicking tbh. 

Isak was playing winger in those matches with Wilson central. 

Edited by Kanji

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

I think those 3 played Southampton away (win), Arsenal home (loss), Leeds away (draw), Brighton home (win, Willock got hurt). <- the brighton match was when it really looked like it was clicking tbh. 

Isak was playing winger in those matches with Wilson central. 

I think you forgot the Villa game which was the first one, and that was kind of a horror show compared to every other game that season. Southampton (first half especially), Leeds and Arsenal wasn't all that impressive either, but the Brighton game was really good. I guess the sample size is probably just too small to judge.

Edited by Erikse

There is no world where Tonali shouldn't be starting with Bruno IMHO. It's chosing the JL/Willock as the third, or putting them both out there and moving Gordon to the other side or resting him. 

I think Joelinton on the right side of attack could be interesting. Can carry the ball, receive it, hold it up and his work rate off the ball in and out of possession would be good too. Apart from cutting in and shooting from his left, not exactly sure what Almiron brings ahead of him on paper at least.

29 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Have we seen Joelinton play on the right? I can’t remember him playing there but I crashed out during the Bruce years 

Don't think we ever have, was just a random thought :)

Tonali has to start when he's back IMO. He's the only midfielder we have who's shown signs of being able to slow down play and control the ball. While I don't think he can viably play Bruno's position long term, he'll be able to slot in midgame and give us options that the two Joes wouldn't. 

I didn't think Tonali was as half as good as Bruno on the ball mind, in most of the games he did play

Edited by jack j

1 minute ago, jack j said:

I didn't think Tonali was as half as good as Bruno on the ball mind, in most of the games he did play

Different players with different skill sets that are hopefully complimentary.

Noticeably always seemed to look for a first-time pass though, very good read of the game. Always keeping track of what his options were before he gets the ball, polar opposite of wor Sean tbh.

I think Willock is going to be brilliant with Gordon down that left side. Gordon often drives inside bringing the fullback chasing him and we've missed having someone being able to exploit that space he creates. 

8 hours ago, madras said:

Hope they will be full of praise for one another; as well as complementing each other’s style of play 😉

8 hours ago, jack j said:

Aye. Thats what the people itk where saying before he joined and it was backed up by the stats. At his best I expect he would be the second best midfielder we have technically.  But also athletic.  

10 hours ago, Parsley said:

Tonali has to start when he's back IMO. He's the only midfielder we have who's shown signs of being able to slow down play and control the ball. While I don't think he can viably play Bruno's position long term, he'll be able to slot in midgame and give us options that the two Joes wouldn't. 

100% 

18 hours ago, madras said:

Agree, Tonali didn't have Bruno's exquisite touch and vision, but he is a lot quicker across the ground, his movement is great off the ball, often looking for one twos, and he can put in decent deliveries from wide as well. Not to mention, he will put his foot in when required as well.

• 3 weeks later...