Joe Willock

Got his Achilles scraped quite early when he came on. Seemed to disappear for a few minutes after that but really came into it when it mattered. Will be a big game for him on Wednesday. Quite an exciting prospect of having him and Tonali in the midfield again for that match.

13 hours ago, cubaricho said:

I'm excited to see him start against Forest this week. He offers something none of our other CMs offer.

I love Big Joe but I think our best midfield pairing when all fit/available are Tonali, Bruno, and Willock.

Well... 

Has Joelinton ever played on the right?

(sorry)

2 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Well... 

Has Joelinton ever played on the right?

(sorry)

He played rcm after Willock came on, but im guessing you mean right wing? Could be an interesting suggestion.

1 minute ago, Displayname said:

He played rcm after Willock came on, but im guessing you mean right wing? Could be an interesting suggestion.

Yeah, that's what I getting at. I know he played LW quite a bit.

Just wary of being called an out-of-position nonce (or whatever the term was).  [emoji38]

I'd rather see Gordon or Barnes or Joelinton out of position than Miggy  or Murphy every week.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

My first feeling yesterday was, can Willock not play RW? He has pretty much all the attributes to, and would give him more opportunities for goals. 🤷‍♂️

We want to play with inverted wingers so we really need a left footer. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

We want to play with inverted wingers so we really need a left footer. 

We're currently playing Murphy though.

In anycase my guess is we're hoping Murphy takes his pre-season form into the season. We could play Joelinton, Willock, Isak or Gordon out there if necessary.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We're currently playing Murphy though.

In anycase my guess is we're hoping Murphy takes his pre-season form into the season. We could play Joelinton, Willock, Isak or Gordon out there if necessary.

I think that’s out of Hobson choice tbh, I think the archetype is clearly an Olise type from that flank. 

I think that's the plan but unless we bring someone in we'll have to change it up. Willock and Joelinton formed a great partnership down the left for example, and I'd like to see Howe explore more with our frontline if needs be.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

7 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Got his Achilles scraped quite early when he came on. Seemed to disappear for a few minutes after that but really came into it when it mattered. Will be a big game for him on Wednesday. Quite an exciting prospect of having him and Tonali in the midfield again for that match.

absolutely shit mesel when he went down clutching his achilles.

Howe could technically still play the two Joe partnership on the right if he was absolutely mad, and wanted to experiment. With Tonali playing LCM (like he did v Paris)

8 hours ago, Mazzy said:

I got a heart attack when he went down holding his achilles..

20 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

My first feeling yesterday was, can Willock not play RW? He has pretty much all the attributes to, and would give him more opportunities for goals. 🤷‍♂️

To me, this is one of the reasons we haven’t been credibly linked with too many wingers. 

In a pinch, Joelinton and Willock can play in those forward positions. Add the return of Tonali to CM, and suddenly pushing either one of them further forward up field doesn’t seem so surprising. 

Love in energy and ability this lad brings to the team.

After the subs on Sunday we looked loads better with him being on the pitch.

Barnes left, Gordon right and a midfield of Willock left, Bruno middle, Joelinton right could be the way forward ( I don't think Howe will start Tonali for a few games, he will come off the bench ).

For me we have to find a way of getting Willock into the starting 11 (full fitness dependant of course).

43 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

His position was “win us the game because we don’t have a plan”. 

See also, ASM.  

Wilson played in the 'stand up there for long enough and you might get a chance to nick us a result positon.