Newcastle United 3-2 Southampton - 06/02/2021

BlueStar

Feel like we’re been naive since going 2-0 up and it’s entirely a coaching problem. We sat off despite not really sitting any deeper and before Miggy scored at the end there I felt like we were just waiting to concede.

Hopefully we see this out because if that Wilson injury is serious we’re fucked.

Aye it's never really felt like we are two goals better, we look very easy to get at. The defence is understandably weak looking with so many out, but they aren't really getting much protection from Shelvey and Hendrick who as usual are chasing shadows.

I really dislike this whole "hasn't been able to step up" label pinned on Almiron. He's more often than not the only mobile creative player on the pitch for us and therefore will be targeted by the opposition.

It's no surprise that his productivity dramatically improves when there are other attacking options around him for the opposition to worry about.

Really both Miggys goals are usually not to difficult to stop, but, because he's taking chances they're paying off.

We need to encourage having a shot like this, even more so under these conditions. His second goal the soggy pitch literally helped a small bounce take it away from the keeper.

More shots please!

We are very clearly a new team under new leadership.

They start the games knowing what they want to do and have a very positive attitude. However the further they get into the game and if anything goes against them (goals, injuries) they don't know how to respond and it becomes a bit of a mess. Hopefully as they forget the previous 18 months of Bruce 'tactics' and buy into the new tactics (ahem manager) things will settle down as there are some very promising signs

Aye. Good post.

Bruce is a dead weight and a fucking danger to progress whilst he’s still here

No idea why he brought Joelinton on for Wilson, may as well play with 10 men. Hope he shuts me up and scores though like. Anyway I don't want us to stop and sit off, rub their nose in it and get 4 or 5.

Powerful forwards running into the channels are a feature of Jones teams, its what Wilson has been doing and make sense for Joelinton to come on in this situation

No idea why he brought Joelinton on for Wilson, may as well play with 10 men. Hope he shuts me up and scores though like. Anyway I don't want us to stop and sit off, rub their nose in it and get 4 or 5.

Powerful forwards running into the channels are a feature of Jones teams, its what Wilson has been doing and make sense for Joelinton to come on in this situation

Is that based on prior knowledge or just the fact that Wilson has been doing it the last few games?

I know it goes against our momentum but there is a time and a place to keep playing so open. Time to bring ASM off for a midfielder and retain the ball.

Palace showed us how to shut up shop last week.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to get ASM off for Fraser before 60min mark if it's still at 3-1

With only one sub remaining and three players on a yellow card?

Wouldn't put it past Bruce to forget we've already made two subs. We just need to be smart in the second half and close the game up. Much as I've enjoyed our pressing lately, this isn't the game to overdo it with two players already off injured.

I know it goes against our momentum but there is a time and a place to keep playing so open. Time to bring ASM off for a midfielder and retain the ball.

Palace showed us how to shut up shop last week.

Yep. Beat me to it. :thup:

The way Almiron is playing. Probs could have put fraser on instead of joelinton. ASM is gonna break down at some point. Hopefully we can hang on 2nd half. Was looking very ominous before that 3rd goal

First time we've scored 3 first half goals in the league since....

First time in 5 years according to BT. No idea if that's PL or Championship though.

Goals 6, 7, and 8 in the first half for the season. Only the third time we've been ahead at HT.

Guest Howaythetoon

Almiron is our best all-round player fwiw and has been since he come in under Rafa, delighted for our Mexican magician :thup: