Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

O&D test should only concern the individual club. In short can they fund it and provide a plan that safeguards the club.

What EPL are doing in reality is protecting its other 19 members.

The issue is with football you have promotion and relegation so in my eyes what they are doing isn’t fair as it’s not in the interests of NUFC right now as we are in their division.

The fact we could go down and it would sail through then we get promoted and promotion can’t be blocked (as far as I’m aware) makes a mockery of it all.

thing that can't be ignored is the piracy stuff as its perceived as a threat to future tv income from the MENA region for all 20 clubs they can't just ignore it and wave it through as they'll have 19 other clubs, bein and hell probably a few other rights holders hammering at their door wondering what the fuck they're playing at on one hand taking various efforts to stop the piracy and getting nowhere and on the other just letting the crowd who have been letting the piracy happen just waltz in. Saudi Arabia has shown 0 signs of doing anything to think they're going to crack down on it and indeed seem to be doing the exact opposite by appealing the WTO judgement and banning bein

Not sure why you quoted my post unless you’ve missed the point of it. Particularly the later half of it.

explaining why they can't just ignore the 19 other clubs in this deal as this is rather unique in it has impacts on everyone. IIRC Bein actually got in contact with the other clubs about it which would explain why they would interfere less because oh the top 6 are just trying to stop a potential rival and more our income is under threat with this deal.

O&D test should only concern the individual club. In short can they fund it and provide a plan that safeguards the club.

The issue is with football you have promotion and relegation so in my eyes what they are doing isn’t fair as it’s not in the interests of NUFC right now as we are in their division.

The fact we could go down and it would sail through then we get promoted and promotion can’t be blocked (as far as I’m aware) makes a mockery of it all.

thing that can't be ignored is the piracy stuff as its perceived as a threat to future tv income from the MENA region for all 20 clubs they can't just ignore it and wave it through as they'll have 19 other clubs, bein and hell probably a few other rights holders hammering at their door wondering what the f*** they're playing at on one hand taking various efforts to stop the piracy and getting nowhere and on the other just letting the crowd who have been letting the piracy happen just waltz in. Saudi Arabia has shown 0 signs of doing anything to think they're going to crack down on it and indeed seem to be doing the exact opposite by appealing the WTO judgement and banning bein

They announced new piracy measures and the momentum appeared to be with us at that point, it was the banning of bein that arguably pushed it over the edge. Masters stated at the commons select committee they wanted to see a positive response from them re piracy.

A big gesture by the Saudis at this point ie reinstating bein might break the deadlock on this, I don’t believe for one second the ownership structure is the deal breaker.

we don't have anywhere near enough information to speculate whats wrong with the proposed ownership structure so its hard to make any comment on it. And while yes reinstanting bein would probably break the deadlock theres more of a chance of one of us buying the club than that happening not while the conflict between qatar and KSA is ongoing

But the test only take into account behavior that is an offence that has resulted in a conviction, or would be equivalent to an offence in this country whether or not there has been an actual conviction.

In this case the PL my be equating the WTO report to a conviction of an offence (although that seems to be really pushing the boundaries of their definition) but the O&D test rules also have an exception for circumstances where there is an appeal against the conviction of an offence and it would not be reasonable to await its outcome, as is clearly the case hear because the WTO appeal process is in limbo.

That appeal has probably killed any case the PL could have to resist the takeover on the basis of piracy.

Given that the WTO found that Qatar had been banned from seeking redress against BeOutQ in KSA, there's a case for saying that, but for the would-be directors of NUFC, BeIn would have secured the necessary convictions. It holds no water, but it seems evident that PL is reaching for reasons not to pass the test. And it's got absolutely nothing to do with it being NUFC, and everything to do with lovely, lovely cash (in the form of broadcasting rights). Let's also keep in mind that this organisation, with assets numbering in seven figures, does not want to be sued into oblivion by its commercial partner.

And yes, I acknowledge that their rules require a timely response, but as I noted above, there are lots of other rules they don't follow either. Seems to me they're really trying to fudge through and hope it all blows over.

thing that can't be ignored is the piracy stuff as its perceived as a threat to future tv income from the MENA region for all 20 clubs they can't just ignore it and wave it through as they'll have 19 other clubs, bein and hell probably a few other rights holders hammering at their door wondering what the fuck they're playing at on one hand taking various efforts to stop the piracy and getting nowhere and on the other just letting the crowd who have been letting the piracy happen just waltz in. Saudi Arabia has shown 0 signs of doing anything to think they're going to crack down on it and indeed seem to be doing the exact opposite by appealing the WTO judgement and banning bein

But the test only take into account behavior that is an offence that has resulted in a conviction, or would be equivalent to an offence in this country whether or not there has been an actual conviction.

In this case the PL my be equating the WTO report to a conviction of an offence (although that seems to be really pushing the boundaries of their definition) but the O&D test rules also have an exception for circumstances where there is an appeal against the conviction of an offence and it would not be reasonable to await its outcome, as is clearly the case hear because the WTO appeal process is in limbo.

That appeal has probably killed any case the PL could have to resist the takeover on the basis of piracy.

Apparently its the “utmost good faith” requirement under the PL rules that the PL are using?

Got this from Brownie.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent proposed takeover of Newcastle United. I understand your frustration and share your concerns that the process was drawn out for so long.  

As I know you are aware, the Saudi Arabian-backed consortium said it has ended its bid to buy Newcastle United. The group included Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund PIF, PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers. In April It agreed a £300m deal to buy the club from Mike Ashley. The deal was still being scrutinised under the Premier League's owners' and directors' test. They were seeking clarification of the links between PIF and the Saudi Arabian Government. The Premier League wanted to know who would have control, where funding would come from, and who would appoint the board. 

As the Member of Parliament for Newcastle Central, and therefore St James’ Park, my colleague, Chi Onwurah MP, has taken the lead on this issue. She has my support. She has written to Richard Masters, Chief Executive of the Premier League. In her letter she has asked a number of questions and called for the Premier League to be more transparent with fans. I have included a link to the letter here for your information https://chionwurahmp.com/2020/07/newcastle-united-football-club-failed-take-over/. I await the response of the Premier League.  

I support the questions Chi has asked and agree with the Newcastle United Supports Trust that the fans deserve answers. I believe that the Premier League should have engaged with fans throughout the process and would like to see the Premier League be more transparent.   

More generally, I support the case for an independent review of all aspects football governance.  

Thank you for contacting me about this important issue.  

With best wishes,

Nick

Rt Hon Nick Brown MP

Member of Parliament for Newcastle upon Tyne East

Tel: 0191 249 8403 (Newcastle) | 020 7219 6814 (Westminster)

Email: [email protected]

Wonder if it’ll be Staveley or Does he mean an actual political party?

Wraith

It’s hosted by Caulkin so probably Staveley saying ”good work, thank you, keep going” or something.

thing that can't be ignored is the piracy stuff as its perceived as a threat to future tv income from the MENA region for all 20 clubs they can't just ignore it and wave it through as they'll have 19 other clubs, bein and hell probably a few other rights holders hammering at their door wondering what the f*** they're playing at on one hand taking various efforts to stop the piracy and getting nowhere and on the other just letting the crowd who have been letting the piracy happen just waltz in. Saudi Arabia has shown 0 signs of doing anything to think they're going to crack down on it and indeed seem to be doing the exact opposite by appealing the WTO judgement and banning bein

They announced new piracy measures and the momentum appeared to be with us at that point, it was the banning of bein that arguably pushed it over the edge. Masters stated at the commons select committee they wanted to see a positive response from them re piracy.

A big gesture by the Saudis at this point ie reinstating bein might break the deadlock on this, I don’t believe for one second the ownership structure is the deal breaker.

we don't have anywhere near enough information to speculate whats wrong with the proposed ownership structure so its hard to make any comment on it. And while yes reinstanting bein would probably break the deadlock theres more of a chance of one of us buying the club than that happening not while the conflict between qatar and KSA is ongoing

If the consortium are to be believed it boils down to wanting the Saudi state as Directors. Even the PL know this would be out of the question, hence why they’ve probably requested it.

Not sure why you quoted my post unless you’ve missed the point of it. Particularly the later half of it.

explaining why they can't just ignore the 19 other clubs in this deal as this is rather unique in it has impacts on everyone. IIRC Bein actually got in contact with the other clubs about it which would explain why they would interfere less because oh the top 6 are just trying to stop a potential rival and more our income is under threat with this deal.

So why didn't the PL just reject the application? Presumably whatever queries they had about the ownership must have been answered in what amounts to a quarter of a year, surely they should have just said sorry, that's not good enough for XYZ reason. Come back with a fresh application once you have met our requirements.

Masters is about to break his silence and announce it’s done.

Wonder if it’ll be Staveley or Does he mean an actual political party?

Doesn’t it just mean Chi Onwurah?

This is the problem. The PL won't fail it because it opens up an appeal process, which will end up with the consortium owning the club.

And if they just ignore it, the same would happen?

Hope so pal.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk