Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

- Again very strange that the PL would have rights for an entire region of multiple countries that aren't allies

So strange that it's been the conventional way of distributing sports broadcast packages across most of the Middle East, Spanish-speaking Latin America and vast swathes of Africa for decades. So strange!

Yes, it is strange because it  seems like a completely backward way to offer content. What if a French company outbid all UK companies and took Bundesliga, La Liga, Formula 1, NFL and only allowed you to watch it via their set top box or online subscription service? What if within that time frame relations between France and UK went completely backwards?

It's not an issue to you Penn, because you're sitting at your home far away from the area.

I'm not defending Saudi in this, I'm just saying it's f***ing odd when you think about it deep down. Put yourself in their shoes.

But if that's how the rights are sold, that's how they're sold. If you can't watch something for some reason, tough s***. You have no intrinsic human right to watch football matches. :lol:

I mean, most of the 3pm games are available in countries which are NOT the UK, but we can't watch them. That's just how life works. We have the right to watch the things we have the rights to, that's it. People in China can watch different PL games to people in Spain, who see different games to people in MENA. Everything is packaged up and sold as the PL wish, and there's f*** all any of us can do about it (legally).

We, or indeed any of those countries, certainly can't just decide to rip up the agreements that the PL legally struck with any country or territory just because we don't like the deal's impact on us. That's nonsense.

And yes the way the PL offer out content IS backwards. It has been for years. It will continue to be so for years because their objective isn't to offer what works best for the consumer but to maximise their own revenue. Watching SA devalue BeIN's contract by unilaterally banning them from broadcasting in the largest country in the region they hold the rights to is NEVER going to go down well with the PL. A company, the PL, whose sole purpose is to maximise revenue, has watched one of its major rights holders have their rights massively devalued and are then have the country who did that ask them to approve their ownership of Newcastle. I can completely understand why the PL are somewhat reluctant to do this.

You can't watch them but somehow find a way to do so. :thup:

I'm not arguing with you on the PL's point of view either, totally makes sense too. Just trying to think clearly about this whole thing (which is a f***ing mess).

I would like to know if the countries within the region agreed to be part of this or not. I assume they did, but not sure.

The deal that Bein has for exclusive MENA rights is with the PL only. It means the PL can't sell rights to broadcast anywhere else within that region for the time frame that the agreement covers. It's on Bein to make sure it has the legal right to broadcast in each country and neither Bein nor the PL have the legal power to force any jurisdiction to allow any rights-holder to broadcast within its territory. One would imagine that most broadcasters will be confident of establishing this before bidding for rights packages and that the likelihood of being able to do so would to an extent be reflected in the negotiated price of the package.

Trying to work out the implications here is less straightforward. It may be that KSA have banned Bein this in an attempt to force them to pack it in with influencing the PL re the takeover, it might even be that KSA has legitimate grievances with Bein's practices being contrary to Saudi law.

Either way, the move will have royally pissed off Bein as the value of its rights package has effectively been diminished and in all likelihood has pissed off the PL as not only is it getting more of a headache from Bein but this has potentially reduced the price its MENA rights package will fetch next time it comes round. There are many ways to piss the PL off but negatively impacting on one of its revenue streams is the absolute doozey.

The PL can't fail the takeover purely on thise grounds, but if the PL suspect that the banning of Bein is contrived and contrary to existing Saudi law then that could maybe put PIF in jeopardy of failing the test on the "act of dishonesty" rule??

Do PIF own Saudi Telecom?

Is there a genuine chance the takeover could be on hold until that deal ends with Man Utd at the end of this month?

Not enough information I can find about what kind of impact this is/could be having on our situation.

Guest godzilla

Do PIF own Saudi Telecom?

Is there a genuine chance the takeover could be on hold until that deal ends with Man Utd at the end of this month?

Not enough information I can find about what kind of impact this is/could be having on our situation.

70% if I remember correctly

Guest godzilla

Early as in before Thursday? :lol:

:lol:

Sometime in the first 99% of the week.

Transfer of funds to take into account, not that I take anything from paper reports mind

I question how Jacobs knows what they're being asked. That surely means he's being leaked to by someone involved. Either the PL are doing it (unlikely given how little we've heard throughout) or NUFC, or The Buyers. The Buyers aren't going to leak to a BeIN Afilliated journo. He seems clued up, but I question how much of what he says is actual fact.

Guest godzilla

I question how Jacobs knows what they're being asked. That surely means he's being leaked to by someone involved. Either the PL are doing it (unlikely given how little we've heard throughout) or NUFC, or The Buyers. The Buyers aren't going to leak to a BeIN Afilliated journo. He seems clued up, but I question how much of what he says is actual fact.

He knows nothing and you're totally right about no chance will the Saudis be feeding him info giving that he is a pro beIN/Qatar reporter. He is feeding the spin from their side