Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Wouldn't relegation = dead deal mean that any takeover is after the season ends, which isn't the current mood music

I'm sick to fucking death of all of this, the football, the politics, the speculation and the bullshit

If we go down there's no way the takeover happens. Aside from the fact they've said they wouldn't buy us as a Championship club, you'd have the small matter of the clubs value being halved on relegation. No way is Ashley parting with his £300m asset for around £150m even if the Saudis did have a change of heart and were still interested. He'd gamble on us coming straight back up and then starting negotiations again.

While I agree with this surely the noises coming out are that we’ll get an answer one way or another this month or next

It needs to be soon and decisions need to be made quickly regarding changing the manager whether that's Ashley or if PIF can have an input. Make no mistake we are on a one way track to relegation here and if that scuppered the takeover it would go down as the costliest relegation in the history of football!

If we go down there's no way the takeover happens. Aside from the fact they've said they wouldn't buy us as a Championship club, you'd have the small matter of the clubs value being halved on relegation. No way is Ashley parting with his £300m asset for around £150m even if the Saudis did have a change of heart and were still interested. He'd gamble on us coming straight back up and then starting negotiations again.

While I agree with this surely the noises coming out are that we’ll get an answer one way or another this month or next

We've heard that too many times before.

It needs to be soon and decisions need to be made quickly regarding changing the manager whether that's Ashley or if PIF can have an input. Make no mistake we are on a one way track to relegation here and if that scuppered the takeover it would go down as the costliest relegation in the history of football!

Yeah I 100% agree

Wonder what ever happened with mimms/f365 guy saying the buyers were putting pressure on Ashley to sack Bruce. Surely if they were then they must be now.

It’s only gonna get worse

Anyone thinking the takeover will still happen if we are relegated is simply deluded. If we drop it's over.

To be honest its time for both buyer and seller to put their money and plans where their mouths are. Back up the extreme confidence in the deal going through by putting in place Bruce's replacement right now, rather than waiting for any official green light.

I don't fully accept the idea that if we go down into the Championship any takeover would be off.

Surely, if an incoming new owner was buying the club as a long term investment (as professed to be the case for PIF) then a drop to the Championship, during or just before a takeover, would be viewed as a minor speedbump?  They would just come in and replace Steve Bruce, which they're going to do anyway, and buy new/better players, which they're going to do anyway, and then be confident of returning to the Premier League at the conclusion of the following season.

I don't even buy the argument "but good players wouldn't want to play a season in the Championship."  In the first few seasons of any takeover any incoming players will be coming for the money they can make, not for the prestige of playing for NUFC.  Even if we stayed up, we're not going to be winning our way to silverware or European competitions in the first season or two, so any new players are going to be attracted to the club either for the longer term journey or because the new owners are prepared to pay a premium - this means that a single season in the Championship is not going to deter them.

So, to conclude, my point is, if PIF want NUFC then I don't think the prospect of a single season in the Championship will deter them.

You are wrong.  They don't want a club that is anywhere near the Championship.  They could easily buy one now without all the bother if that was the case.  If we get relegated they most likely will decide to go for Leeds, they tick all the right boxes.  One club city, fanatical fanbase like us, been in the doldrums for years like us, also the Reubens most likely have business interests in Leeds and Amanda is a born and bred Yorkshire lass, plus Leeds could probably be bought for a lot less than £350m!!!

I don't fully accept the idea that if we go down into the Championship any takeover would be off.

Surely, if an incoming new owner was buying the club as a long term investment (as professed to be the case for PIF) then a drop to the Championship, during or just before a takeover, would be viewed as a minor speedbump?  They would just come in and replace Steve Bruce, which they're going to do anyway, and buy new/better players, which they're going to do anyway, and then be confident of returning to the Premier League at the conclusion of the following season.

I don't even buy the argument "but good players wouldn't want to play a season in the Championship."  In the first few seasons of any takeover any incoming players will be coming for the money they can make, not for the prestige of playing for NUFC.  Even if we stayed up, we're not going to be winning our way to silverware or European competitions in the first season or two, so any new players are going to be attracted to the club either for the longer term journey or because the new owners are prepared to pay a premium - this means that a single season in the Championship is not going to deter them.

So, to conclude, my point is, if PIF want NUFC then I don't think the prospect of a single season in the Championship will deter them.

You are wrong.  They don't want a club that is anywhere near the Championship.  They could easily buy one now without all the bother if that was the case.  If we get relegated they most likely will decide to go for Leeds, they tick all the right boxes.  One club city, fanatical fanbase like us, been in the doldrums for years like us, also the Reubens most likely have business interests in Leeds and Amanda is a born and bred Yorkshire lass, plus Leeds could probably be bought for a lot less than £350m!!!

The thing is, they all (individually and as a consortium) have made it clear throughout, that they want and intend to buy Newcastle United FC.

They do NOT just want to buy "a club".

Surely, you are able to accept that fact?

If I was buying a used car then I would want any defects put right before I took delivery. Newcastle United has lots of small defects but one massive one. It needs to be sorted before delivery or delivery might not be accepted.

Get rid of Steve sodding Bruce as soon as possible

The thing is, they all (individually and as a consortium) have made it clear throughout, that they want and intend to buy Newcastle United FC.

They will not buy us if we go down. This has been confirmed by people very close to the buyers.

They will not buy us if we go down. This has been confirmed by people very close to the buyers.

People very close to the buyers said that this was a done deal 6 months ago. Pinch of salt.

However, I suspect they're putting huge pressure on Ashley to sack Bruce now, but the issue is getting someone to come in and "save" the season.

If the club is allowed to drift towards relegation, putting the deal in jeopardy, surely that shows it is nowhere near as close (or certain) to get done as many seem to be under the illusion? And that Ashley is not actually desperate to sell, as people have been stating as fact for months now?

If the club is allowed to drift towards relegation, putting the deal in jeopardy, surely that shows it is nowhere near as close (or certain) to get done as many seem to be under the illusion? And that Ashley is not actually desperate to sell, as people have been stating as fact for months now?

Correct. If nothing else, Bruce's ineptitude is going to reveal how close this deal really is.

People very close to the buyers said that this was a done deal 6 months ago. Pinch of salt.

However, I suspect they're putting huge pressure on Ashley to sack Bruce now, but the issue is getting someone to come in and "save" the season.

I don't think anyone ever said it was a done deal iirc, more that it was days away. Also all of that involved a third party (PL)

This is completely up to them, Ashley or the PL can't effect this decision. If we go down they will walk away on their own accord.

Its a simple case of numbers, PIF wont want to pay £305 million for a championship club and Ashley wont sell for anything else, if Arsenal hump us on Monday then Ashley needs to make a decision, even if we don't get taken over he needs a Premiership status and with the current bloke in charge I honestly don't see where the next point is coming from.

Just as likely that Ashley is hoping/expecting an imminent takeover which makes it not his problem so no point spending money.

Not saying it will of course, who knows!

I don't think this takeover will happen.

When all theese legal action has been played out it's back to normal.

Ashley will have to find a new buyer but no one is serius enough or haven't got enough money.

He will sell the club eventually, but it will take a few more years. And we will probably be a championship team at the time it happens.

My house is worth a lot more in posh street than what it would be in shit street, the Saudis would want 30% off if we went down.

Yes, if you move your caravan from a nice street to a shit street it is worth less.  But, if you then move your caravan back to the nice street it recovers its original value.

Not if it lost out on the bonanza of £100M at the annual street fair.

Anyone think the PL might be getting twitchy. If their stalling and refusal to make a decision on the ODT results in Newcastle going down and they are found to have acted improperly then it could end up in a hell of a lawsuit