Round of 16 | Sweden 1-2 Ukraine

Unbelievable

7 minutes ago, Wullie said:

People talking like almost every team that wins a major tournament isn't absolutely dull as fuck. Portugal were absolutely painful. 

Spain's results in World Cup 2010:

0-1

2-0

2-1

1-0

1-0

1-0

1-0 (aet)

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Rafa Benitez were managing a team in a tournament, it would be playing exactly like England are.

Greece shithousing their way to 1-0 wins in 2004 was funny

8 minutes ago, Wullie said:

People talking like almost every team that wins a major tournament isn't absolutely dull as fuck. Portugal were absolutely painful. 

0-1

2-0

2-1

1-0

1-0

1-0

1-0 (aet)

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Rafa Benitez were managing a team in a tournament, it would be playing exactly like England are.

What do you mean? We won one match. Against Wales, 2-0.

9 minutes ago, Wullie said:

0-1

2-0

2-1

1-0

1-0

1-0

1-0 (aet)

Whilst I agree its still dull as fuck. Maybe my investment in England just winnimg isnt high enough to make yp for it being shit to watch

13 minutes ago, Wullie said:

0-1

2-0

2-1

1-0

1-0

1-0

1-0 (aet)

Mostly agreed although I honestly don’t think we should be classed as dull as fuck after that game. Calculated sure, but I don’t think we were dull.

3 minutes ago, Smal said:

Mostly agreed although I honestly don’t think we should be classed as dull as fuck after that game. Calculated sure, but I don’t think we were dull.

As a neutral, it was boring to watch in my opinion. I get why you won’t see it that way. It’s amazing how having any kind of stake in a game makes it 100x more interesting by default.

Until McClaren - whose reign coincided with my increasing dislike of various individuals - my support for England was on par with my support for Newcastle. I couldn't give a shite about England at that point though. It picked up here and there; under Capello you felt like we had a tournament-winner but obviously it was a bit of a disaster and arseholes like Terry, Cole and Gerrard were still at the heart of the team. I didn't mind us under Hodgson at times; Euro 2012 was okay-ish with some more likeable players, but I felt very little when we went out - likewise the Iceland debacle - and I didn't even see a kick of our 2014 WC campaign. 

But a combination of: Rooney moving on; this likeable group of players coming through; and the emergence of Southgate as a sensible, unifying, dignified and - importantly - very capable England manager, has totally rejuvenated my support over the last five years. And given the context of two years of despising NUFC - not to mention the fortunate swerving of Allardyce in the England role - this tournament feels like a really big opportunity to properly support a team. I find this lot so easy to really get behind. 

That's why today was so great for me, and why the boring football didn't tarnish the experience in the way it may have done in previous years. The more casual versions of my England-supporting self in the Capello/Hodgson years would probably have been too turned-off by the attritional performance which preceded those incredible last 15 minutes.

Today though - it's just great getting so much behind a team and then being rewarded, despite the lack of exciting football. And given the state of NUFC I'd probably even feel some satisfaction at the pain of being knocked out, had it happened, such is the desperation just to feel. 

Just now, BlackandWhite said:

As a neutral, it was boring to watch in my opinion. I get why you won’t see it that way. It’s amazing how having any kind of stake in a game makes it 100x more interesting by default.

We’re all Newcastle fans here. I know what it’s like to support a genuinely dull team.

England aren’t dull. There is attacking purpose behind the tactics. We exploited their wing back system without ever letting them get in behind ours. The displays from the likes of Sterling, Saka, Phillips, Walker, Maguire, Shaw and Grealish weren’t dull imo.

I couldn't even tell you if that game was entertaining or not, although it clearly wasn't a classic. My heart was in my mouth the whole fucking game, micro-managing every moment in my stupid annoying head. 

It was tense throughout, as high stakes knockout games should be. And what a difference a loud partisan crowd makes. First time I can recall Wembley sounding good on the telly since the nineties. 

For me, the defiance against the racists has made this team a whole lot easier to get behind too. I’ve never wanted an England side to win more despite feeling extremely disconnected from football at club level.

1 minute ago, Smal said:

We’re all Newcastle fans here. I know what it’s like to support a genuinely dull team.

England aren’t dull. There is attacking purpose behind the tactics. We exploited their wing back system without ever letting them get in behind ours. The displays from the likes of Sterling, Saka, Phillips, Walker, Maguire, Shaw and Grealish weren’t dull imo.

Well, we are all different individuals with different creteria of what’s boring or not, so I am not going to argue.

I am happy for you and the English supporters of Nufc on here, though. As a Newcastle fans, this concept of supporting a team that might actually win something is a pipe dream. Well, now with this England team, there’s a real chance of you tasting glory. And it will feel every bit as good as Newcastle winning a cup. Regardless of opinions, it is an exciting time for english fans right now.

1 minute ago, Smal said:

For me, the defiance against the racists has made this team a whole lot easier to get behind too. I’ve never wanted an England side to win more despite feeling extremely disconnected from football at club level.

A great point that I'm annoyed I forgot to mention given I spent about 15 minutes on that post. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Smal said:

Such a marked change from Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Rio et al.