QF2: Belgium 1-2 Italy

Disco

6 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Blaming Martinez for this is over the top for sure. They just weren’t good enough and came up against an Italy team that will probably win the whole thing. 

Disagree about this Italian side. Their streak and football is overblown. In their 30 non-losing streak they hadn't beat anyone of notice until the win today and a win which was really down to mentality over quality imo. They played well for 30 minutes cause they were allowed to, but damn, felt Belgium had some pretty decent chances. I mean, yes they've probably played the best football in this Euro's, but thought they could've easily lost tonight as well. Think England will do them and football will be coming home. Or at least I hope so for this forum that has suffered so much with this terrible team. 

Also, never watch Milan, but Donnarumma is some player. Very impressed by him during this World Cup. Had two or three fantastic saves tonight and in the air he's a beast. So composed. Can't believe he's only 22. 

Martinez a bit unlucky. If he’d thrown the last group game in ‘18 and had England’s group at this tournament, I’ve no doubt he’d have made two major finals. Unlucky to come up against a great France side and now this Italy one.

Belgium have 3 or 4 genuine world class players but I'm not sure they have any god given right to be winning ahead of other big sides in the tournament. 

They're a small country and the talent pool only goes so far. They don't seem to have a left back in the whole country of international standard. The back 3 is ancient. Once you get into the squad players there's clear weaknesses in depth. It's a generation, particularly at this stage of their cycle, more akin to the likes of Czech Republic in 2004 or Croatia a few years ago. 

Martinez has done a good job overall and fallen short against very good sides. The big fuck up was Wales in 2016 when they still had Wilmots. 

Edited by ponsaelius

Aye, done a decent job. Think it’s similar to Sven with England tbh. Gets a raw deal but he was probably one key moment a tournament from similar. (Ronaldinho goal, shoot-out against the hosts, Rooney red card in ‘06) If just one of those had went our way there’s a good chance we’d have made a final. Aye we had a handful of top players but so did Brazil, Portugal, etc. No divine right to win things.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

They look incredibly well-drilled, like. Where others are doing the whole (to varying competences) 'make a solid team to give a foundation to the match-winners', Italy look like a team who's been worked on for season after season. The movement on and off the ball was perfect in that game. 

I really enjoyed that. The pair of played football lightyears ahead of anything else we've seen in the tournament to date.

It's been mentioned how well Italy managed the game, but I wasn't expecting them to press as aggressively as they did in the group stages. While they played with great energy throughout you've got to wonder if they can maintain it in the two remaining games.

If they do continue to play at the same intensity, I can't see any of the remaining teams beating them. Mancini has coached them into a really slick outfit, who are energetic and disciplined off the ball and ooze class on it.