QF4: England 4 (FOWWA) - 0 Ukraine

Disco

15 hours ago, Keefaz said:

Not enough dickheads or headcases in this squad. Doesn't feel like England.

I mentioned this earlier. My disdain for all things football has left me with very little knowledge of any of them, and it's been really enjoyable to watch them. Then I caught a bit of Rio Ferdinand last night. That bloke could make a 6 year old angry at ice cream.

Seems like Kane has his mojo back. He’s literally looking a completely different player since he scored against Germany. 

@Kaizerojust stop responding bro. You’ve made your points, no need to keep engaging. 

1 hour ago, Smal said:

Kyle Walker is excellent. He makes mistakes occasionally but he's absolutely vital in this defence and he is also the only defender we have that is capable of taking risks and playing passes through opposition lines. Was more or less our best performer vs Germany imo. He wasn't great yesterday but the way he played, essentially a defensive full back covering the lack of pace in Stones/Maguire, is what freed up Shaw to get forward and be so creative.  of

That's a good assessment on what Walker brings to the defence, but he is very limited on the ball IMO. What's more, he knows it and avoids playing anything but the very safest of passes. Last night he gave the ball away in a very dangerous position, but got away with it. He always looks to me like he has at least one howler in him per game.

Reece James is a better all round player, but didn't really take his chance to impress during the Scotland game. 

Edited by Cronky

I think the mistakes he makes on the ball are more about concentration though. He regularly takes risks in possession when I watch him; Guardiola wouldn't use him as he does (inside, heavily involved in build up) if he was crap with the ball. 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

That's a good assessment on what Walker brings to the defence, but he is very limited on the ball IMO. What's more, he knows it and avoids playing anything but the very safest of passes. Last night he gave the ball away in a very dangerous position, but got away with it. He always looks to me like he has at least one howler in him per game.

Reece James is a better all round player, but didn't really take his chance to impress during the Scotland game. 

i agree with both of you tbh. There’s a tendency for people to see one or two glaring mistakes (or great bits of play) in a game and make their summing up based on that and not what happened in between. I think Walker’s been one of England’s better players throughout because his experience has shone through and his ability to cover for others (and himself) has been quietly effective.

That said, distribution and creativity/decision-making going forward has never been his strong point. That’s why his position on the right of three fits him well. I think he and his coaches have recognized his limitations. His effectiveness as an attacking RB relies on his pace and athleticism. He will almost always play it safe when he has the ball, and since the movement ahead of him has often been uninspiring that’s why we’ve seen him playing it sideways and backwards or occasionally getting caught out.

Trippier offers something very different - rather have him going forward, rather have Walker going backwards. Feels like deja vu for me tbh.

Walker's underhit pass to Stones wasn't even his worst error last night imo, it was the one in the box where he didn't even spot their player running in behind him and just left the ball rolling into a very dangerous area. Could have easily resulted in a goal. Agree with whoever said yesterday he's fine in a back three but he doesn't fill me with confidence at full back and I'd be tempted to twist going into the semi. 

What's people's genuine opinion on Pickford as first choice keeper? As in actual quality-wise compared to the alternatives at disposal, not him being a mackem and stuff like that.

Edited by Kaizero

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

What's people's genuine opinion on Pickford as first choice keeper? As in actual quality-wise compared to the alternatives at disposal, not him being a mackem and stuff like that.

He’s better than the Greek ‘keeper when they won it…

For all that is being made of England's kind run, only England and Italy have had to play another one of the 'big seven' favourites in the knockouts.

It's also fair to say Spain have made an absolute meal of Croatia and Switzerland, they've only won one game in 90 minutes all tournament. Portugalesque.

6 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

He looks terrible for Everton, but always seems to step up for England. The problem is he's as thick as pig shit, so you can never be truly confident he isn't going to do something daft.

18 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Seems completely different at international to league level. Much more focussed.

Last night showed that things can get to him, though. One mistake, which didn't cost us, and he becomes erratic in trying to atone for it.

We've seen it before - particularly in the game where we came back to beat Everton 3-2 and he seemed more focussed on trying to wind up our fans.

Yeah there's no doubting Pickford's mental fragility, but he's so much more composed for England on the whole. He's had another brilliant tournament for us, can't knock him. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah there's no doubting Pickford's mental fragility, but he's so much more composed for England on the whole. He's had another brilliant tournament for us, can't knock him. 

There was a shot that was right down his throat in the second half, instead of just standing there and getting his gloves behind it for the catch, he jumped, but not even upwards, his legs just left the floor and he remained at the same height and he punched the ball away. Everything doesn't have to be some kind of Hollywood slow motion action save, that annoyed me. Plus he was definitely rattled after skinning that clearance. Other than that he's been pretty solid.

Just now, Mattoon said:

There was a shot that was right down his throat in the second half, instead of just standing there and getting his gloves behind it for the catch, he jumped, but not even upwards, his legs just left the floor and he remained at the same height and he punched the ball away. Everything doesn't have to be some kind of Hollywood slow motion action save, that annoyed me. Plus he was definitely rattled after skinning that clearance. Other than that he's been pretty solid.

He often does a needless jump, it's why he, for me, lets so many goals in low.

Obviously he was a bit sketchy after that lucky escape in the second half but I thought he did alright with that shot you're referring to. Wasn't confident he could hold it so rather than drop a clanger and/or palm it back into a shooting place, he batted it so far away that the cameraman literally didn't know where to film. 

Guest HTT II

One of his biggest strengths is he communicates and is very pro-active to reacting to situations, he’s not a goal-line ‘keeper. He’s not world-class, and has a mistake in him, but then so does our very own Dubravka, where would we be without him? Similar applies to Pickford, easily England’s number 1 who is having a great tournament, 5 clean sheets man!

I’d say the fact that this England side could be seen as ”boring” is one of the main reasons why they have a greater chance of winning a big tournament than previous England incarnations.

Edited by Collage

Yeah Pickfords done really well.

Hes one of those keepers who has the occasional howler in him but so do Maguire and Stones.

My worry is that the stars will align and all 3 will have a mare at the same moment or in the same game.

But the 3 of them have done well so i cant really complain.

Southgate and his defensive coaches also need a big pat on the back.

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Southgate's calmness and temperament helps him. In the Premier league, against some of the traditional rivals, Pickford goes into this chest thumping, trash talking mode, gets caught up in the emotion of the occasion - often that is when he has these blunders.

I think Southgate has asked him to calm down, focus on saving goals and his game, not get too high on emotion which has helped his game immensely.