SF2: England 2-1 Denmark

Yorkie

Looking at it as a neutral and as a ref myself; I believe it is 100% a soft penalty. Sterling was 100% looking for it, and he was already on his way down before any slight contact. However, you really can’t begrude England the win. It was 100% deserved. Denmark didn’t have the gas in the tank to give them a game for more than 60 minutes.

Sunday is going to be an interesting day. If nothing else, I would be happy for all you natural geordies.

11 minutes ago, BlackandWhite said:

Looking at it as a neutral and as a ref myself; I believe it is 100% a soft penalty. Sterling was 100% looking for it, and he was already on his way down before any slight contact. However, you really can’t begrude England the win. It was 100% deserved. Denmark didn’t have the gas in the tank to give them a game for more than 60 minutes.

Sunday is going to be an interesting day. If nothing else, I would be happy for all you natural geordies.

What level do you ref at?

I'm not trying to take the piss, just interested.

15 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

This is just phenomenal. And the next 96 hours will be remembered for the rest of our lives.

You just accept that 1966 was the one and it'll never happen again, always alternating between national disgrace and glorious failure. It was almost comforting. The thought of winning a second trophy? Well that's surreal. Underachievement is comforting and change is scary.

Sunday will certainly be interesting with the Italian missus :lol: The pre-match Wembley atmosphere was spine-tingling, quickly replaced by tension but I thought Sterling was remarkable. Still not even sure it was a dive tbh. But what a mental night. What a mental few days ahead. Holy fucking shit.

We still have time yet :lol:

The penalty seems unnecessarily polarising to me. Having watched a few replays I’m tempted to say it was soft but not convinced it was a ‘blatant dive’. Sterling was definitely looking for it, as any attacking player would be, but I don’t think that’s much different to penalties we see all the time, so we just have to accept if it wasn’t a penalty then it was cheating that has become widely accepted in the game. It just happened to be at a very crucial stage in the game and tournament. 

No clear and obvious ref error for me so I think VAR probably wouldn’t have differed to the ref either way. 

9 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

What level do you ref at?

I'm not trying to take the piss, just interested.

I haven’t a clue what level/grading system they use in England, but where I am it’d be equal to being able to do maybe just below National League North/South. So I am currently at the upper tier of the amateur game, lower tier of semi-pro. 

As we all know, though, the laws of the game are the same at every level. Different referees have even got different opinions/interpretations, too. Another ref might come along and disagree with me. There is a case to give a penalty, but the way the players gone down and the amount of contact leaves me unconvinced. 

3 hours ago, Interpolic said:

I honestly feel fucking sick like. This is about the time I'd be ringing the coke dealer for a top-up in a past life. 

I was tempted lol. But drank til 1.30am and got a taxi back and stuffed my fat face.

1 hour ago, neesy111 said:

A good GK saves that goal tonight btw, hope he doesn't cost us Vs the Italians.

Thought he looked a nervous mess. Some awful distribution on multiple occasions straight to them and a few crosses he looked really unconvincing with. 

As good as he's been for England he still fills with me dread.

3 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Thought he looked a nervous mess. Some awful distribution on multiple occasions straight to them and a few crosses he looked really unconvincing with. 

As good as he's been for England he still fills with me dread.

if I was Italian the first thing I’d do would be stand on his foot at a corner. Can see him totally losing his shit.

Kane goes down ridiculously easily. Every time there is a slightest of contacts from behind, he is down. 

England was better so deserved the win. Biggest test this now, and have a better chance against Italy than against Spain. 

Guest HTT II

That was tense. Southgate needs to get the team right for Italy because he didn’t last night and we were fortunate to win, replace Rice and Phillips in midfield who are nothing players. Mount needs replaced too who I personally find is massively overrated, I’d start with Henderson and Foden in there and Grealish for Saka. What an achievement though getting to our first final since ‘66, the manager, coaches and players deserve massive massive credit. Denmark was a tough test and we overcome that and although again we were fortunate, we dealt with them impressively at times. One more tough test, can we do it?! I’m quietly confident, but again, this is England… come on!

32 minutes ago, AY said:

Kane goes down ridiculously easily. Every time there is a slightest of contacts from behind, he is down. 

England was better so deserved the win. Biggest test this now, and have a better chance against Italy than against Spain. 

It’s odious but that tactic will be perfect against Bonucci & Chiellini when you know they’re going to be niggling at him for 90 minutes. We’re playing the biggest arseholes going in terms of shithousing, if Kane or Sterling win us a free-kick or penalty in a dangerous position doing similar then fucking karma.

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It’s odious but that tactic will be perfect against Bonucci & Chiellini when you know they’re going to be niggling at him for 90 minutes. We’re playing the biggest arseholes going in terms of shithousing, if Kane or Sterling win us a free-kick or penalty in a dangerous position doing similar then fucking karma.

That's true, but tbh Chiellini and Bonucci are great at that and will not give up cheap fouls. Most likely the one who scores first will win.

Italy will be pressing Pickford a lot. His kicking has been awful. Their bench is not very good, but midfield is a lot better. Very interesting game.

6 hours ago, BlackandWhite said:

I haven’t a clue what level/grading system they use in England, but where I am it’d be equal to being able to do maybe just below National League North/South. So I am currently at the upper tier of the amateur game, lower tier of semi-pro. 

As we all know, though, the laws of the game are the same at every level. Different referees have even got different opinions/interpretations, too. Another ref might come along and disagree with me. There is a case to give a penalty, but the way the players gone down and the amount of contact leaves me unconvinced. 

I've read the newspaper from four different countries with the expert referee from each and everyone of them saying it was never supposed to be given and that it's one of those times where VAR has to come in.

That being said, I'm pretty sure England would've won it. While I felt Denmark were a slightly better side for 50 or so minutes, England were dominant for the rest of the game (even though they played against 10 men in the second half of extra time).