PIF and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Hope they don’t get much grief from idiot fans. Absolutely nothing wrong with highlighting the human rights abuses of Saudi Arabia

Depends how they go about it really. Can see some fans taking certain stuff personally if they're having a go at the fans for going still etc

Like the shit that gets thrown at us on social media

John Hird’s aim is to rid the club of PIF as per this closing para in his mag article last year -

‘Fans who are interested in KICKING THE SAUDI DICTATORS OUT OF OUR CLUB AND RECLAIMING NUFC – Join us here’

I don’t think trying to engage with the club ownership on matters is part of his mission.

17 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

John Hird’s aim is to rid the club of PIF as per this closing para in his mag article last year -

‘Fans who are interested in KICKING THE SAUDI DICTATORS OUT OF OUR CLUB AND RECLAIMING NUFC – Join us here’

I don’t think trying to engage with the club ownership on matters is part of his mission.

And in light of that the protest makes more sense, because all it will accomplish is returning the media spotlight to PIF ownership of NUFC. 

28 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Aye I thought the iNews article had finished and didn't read where he got to the slightly unhinged part.

Protests like this are pissing against the wind like, saying stuff like "We’re confident the majority of the fans are good people and don’t support the ownership" is mental, unless he's been misquoted, as it's pretty clear the vast, vast majority of Newcastle fans do support the ownership [emoji38] It also doesn't make them bad people.

Dropping the aim of removing them from the club and focusing on educating the fanbase and applying pressure to change would be a good thing. At the end of the day most reasonable people would be horrified when thinking logically about these things, it's just hard not to go on the defensive given the way most of the muppets shouting 'sportwashing' go about it.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

There's absolutely no reason why these people should be given loads of hassle but I fear they will be. Highlighting the atrocities and actions of the Saudis in their country 100% should be called out and criticised, the shit they do is abhorrent and barbaric and there is no defence nor should there be, it's vile. 

But I think a lot of fans will see the (legitimate) criticism of PIF as an attack on the club itself and they'll inevitably defend their club. Partitioning the club and the owners, and the actions of each, is still an issue and that line is blurred. Hope the protestors have thick skin 

1 hour ago, midds said:

There's absolutely no reason why these people should be given loads of hassle but I fear they will be. Highlighting the atrocities and actions of the Saudis in their country 100% should be called out and criticised, the shit they do is abhorrent and barbaric and there is no defence nor should there be, it's vile. 

But I think a lot of fans will see the (legitimate) criticism of PIF as an attack on the club itself and they'll inevitably defend their club. Partitioning the club and the owners, and the actions of each, is still an issue and that line is blurred. Hope the protestors have thick skin 

They definitely will be, I can see it getting ugly to be honest. Especially if we're still top 4/6 going into the match 

3 minutes ago, Magpie said:

They definitely will be, I can see it getting ugly to be honest. Especially if we're still top 4/6 going into the match 

You're probably right, hopefully not and our fans just walk by, but as Wallsendmag said a half five kick off with supporters pissed up, gets me thinking it may kick off. I'm all for people having their views and if they're unhappy about the ownership that's totally fine. Is the protesting group thinking that this is an opportunity to actually get more publicity by creating a negative scene for the cameras and press. We have all stated there could be problems, so surely they have considered this also. This then opens the question when and how to protest and when and how not to protest. Just got to hope supporters just respect the protesters rights and walk by and get themselves ready for the game. Got a bad feeling about this though as SOME pissed up fans (or people in general) can be easily wound up.

Everyone has a right to protest about anything at all, and yes questions should be asked about certain aspects of our ownership. I just think in this case it could all get confrontational and stir up a media frenzy, in a negative way, and we all know there’s plenty of people waiting in the wings to start all the ‘and it’s all going sour at Newcastle’ shite. Could they not protest somewhere when there is no match, it just seems a stupid thing to do, ok these people have an issue with the owners (PIF) crack on, I just think doing it on that day, is a rank bad idea. 

19 minutes ago, Cattletrucked said:

Everyone has a right to protest about anything at all, and yes questions should be asked about certain aspects of our ownership. I just think in this case it could all get confrontational and stir up a media frenzy, in a negative way, and we all know there’s plenty of people waiting in the wings to start all the ‘and it’s all going sour at Newcastle’ shite. Could they not protest somewhere when there is no match, it just seems a stupid thing to do, ok these people have an issue with the owners (PIF) crack on, I just think doing it on that day, is a rank bad idea. 

Most protests are done in a way to garner more publicity or focus for their cause. Doing it on a match day will do that and I don't blame them choosing a match day. If you disagree with them just walk by and ignore them and if asked by the media, because they will try and stir things, tell them they can protest as they are allowed to. 

Edited by madras

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Most protests are done in a way to garner more publicity or focus for their cause. Doing it on a match day will do that and I don't blame them choosing a match day. If you disagree with them just walk by and ignore them and if asked by the media, because they will try and stir things, tell them they can protest as they are allowed to. 

Oh I’ll walk by and I’d ignore any media too. I just hope everyone can and will do the same, I just think it could get ugly. People doubting that they’re toon fans etc. So on that premise, is it really worth it. Course I get the point of it getting maximum attention on a match day. So I take it they just want Saudi ownership out of our Club, but will do bog all about all the other businesses they’re invested in, in this Country? Well good luck to them, like I said, crack on. 

i have real issues with the saudi leaders themselves.

on the other hand we've benefited from the billions they have brought into the british economy.

rather than protests at the ground, maybe they should have tried engaging with the owners and opening some kind of dialogue. maybr they did and failed.

cant ever come to hate the saudi's as much as i hate what Israel has done though.

even guilty of murdering  journalists themselves  too.

the whole world is fucked.

no protests against the russians for doing similar until they invaded ukraine.

i'm not really sure what i'm trying to say.

three wrongs dont make a right.

but protest outside buckingham palace and westminister not just st james. 

and include the cunts that run israel, north korea etc.

again, i;m pissed and not sure what the fuck i'm trying to say.

leave my club alone.

Edited by huss9

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Openly criticising Eddie Howe, wants rid of the clubs best owners in years, friendly with a mackem nut job and engaging in arguments with his so called own fans on Twitter, how not to make friends and influence people.

They might be the best owners if you look purely at the football side, but you cannot ignore the elephant that comes with them.  Our fans have every right to protest the atrocities that PIF are directly attached to.  

7 hours ago, huss9 said:

i have real issues with the saudi leaders themselves.

on the other hand we've benefited from the billions they have brought into the british economy.

rather than protests at the ground, maybe they should have tried engaging with the owners and opening some kind of dialogue. maybr they did and failed.

cant ever come to hate the saudi's as much as i hate what Israel has done though.

even guilty of murdering  journalists themselves  too.

the whole world is fucked.

no protests against the russians for doing similar until they invaded ukraine.

i'm not really sure what i'm trying to say.

three wrongs dont make a right.

but protest outside buckingham palace and westminister not just st james. 

and include the cunts that run israel, north korea etc.

again, i;m pissed and not sure what the fuck i'm trying to say.

leave my club alone.

This is very "what about..?"  You can't say, "oh, look at the other horrible shit" as a justification that our fans cannot protest to raise awareness about the horrors destroying the lives of people in Saudi Arabia.

20 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

They might be the best owners if you look purely at the football side, but you cannot ignore the elephant that comes with them.  Our fans have every right to protest the atrocities that PIF are directly attached to.  

We all have the right to peacefully protest whatever we want and these fans have just as much right to protest against KSA/PIF we did Ashley. The right to protest is more important than football.

I don't think you can separate PIF and Saudi Arabia and therefore Saudi Arabia and the club at will.  So a protest here against Saudi Arabian rule is also linked to the club.  The fact that some fans are going to be angry, against this protest says as much. 

Edited by David Edgar

6 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

I don't think you can separate PIF and the club at will.  So a protest here against Saudi Arabian rule is also linked to the club.  The fact that some fans are going to be angry, against this protest says as much. 

Exactly. This is Newcastle United fans protesting against the ownership of Newcastle United. They are doing it for different reasons to why some of us protested against Ashley but that doesn't make their concerns any less legitimate.

21 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

I don't think you can separate PIF and the club at will.  So a protest here against Saudi Arabian rule is also linked to the club.  The fact that some fans are going to be angry, against this protest says as much. 

Why would fans not be angry at a protest to get rid of PIF while the rest of the sporting world happily takes their money ?

John Hird gets his way and PIF sell up then what ? Is Saudi Arabia in a better place and does our club benefit ?

Everyone has a right to protest but fans need to realise what this blokes ultimate aim is. It’s not to engage with club and try to get them on board, but instead to get rid of PIF.

As long as he is up front with that protest away, let’s see what support he gets from NUFC fans. I have a feeling the NUFC against sports washing name will not be a true representation of their group make up though, which would be a little bit disingenuous don’t you think ?

Edited by Whitley mag

It isn't easy, is it?  Keep PIF, win the league (maybe) but knowing that we only did it as the plaything of a barbaric regime that only want us for sportswashing?  Some fans, rightly, can't accept that.  I think those fans have every right to protest.  And frankly, they're the ones in the right.

Most (me included) can accept/tolerate/ignore PIF/SA.  I'd rather we didn't have PIF, but then it is probably our only way to success.  And I'm not strong minded enough to not get carried away with the investment and potential success.  Plus, I've lived my whole life loving the club.  I just can't break that attachment.  I'll always care about it.

I won't defend PIF/SA though.  And there is nothing wrong, at all, with the protest.

Edited by David Edgar

12 hours ago, Magpie said:

They couldn't have picked a worse game to do this. Final game before everything stops for the World Cup, added to the late kick off, then factor in the opposition. It's got all the ingredients of that Liverpool home game in 2019 when in nearly 40 years of going to games I'd never seen everyone so radged up!

There's a big chance it could turn nasty, people will have been on the drink 4/5 hours, they'll be pumped up. If they're going to do this they'd have been better off doing it 3 days earlier at the Crystal Palace game. Will be a different crowd at that one. 1000s of youngsters, loads no doubt going to their first ever match. They'd get far less hassle at that one and the threat of any physical violence aimed towards them but be far less. I honestly don't think this is going to end well.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

They couldn't have picked a worse game to do this. Final game before everything stops for the World Cup, added to the late kick off, then factor in the opposition. It's got all the ingredients of that Liverpool home game in 2019 when in nearly 40 years of going to games I'd never seen everyone so radged up!

There's a big chance it could turn nasty, people will have been on the drink 4/5 hours, they'll be pumped up. If they're going to do this they'd have been better off doing it 3 days earlier at the Crystal Palace game. Will be a different crowd at that one. 1000s of youngsters, loads no doubt going to their first ever match. They'd get far less hassle at that one and the threat of any physical violence aimed towards them but be far less. I honestly don't think this is going to end well.

There shouldn't be any threat of physical violence towards them regardless of when they do it and if there is then that reflects badly on the aggressors not the protestors.

10 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

It isn't easy, is it?  Keep PIF, win the league (maybe) but knowing that we only did it as the plaything of a barbaric regime that only want us for sportswashing?  Some fans, rightly, can't accept that.  I think those fans have every right to protest.  And frankly, they're the ones in the right.

Most (me included) can accept/tolerate/ignore PIF/SA.  I'd rather we didn't have PIF, but then it is probably our only way to success.  And I'm not strong minded enough to not get carried away with the investment and potential success.  Plus, I've lived my whole life loving the club.  I just can't break that attachment.  I'll always care about it.

I won't defend PIF/SA though.  And there is nothing wrong, at all, with the protest.

Very well said!

No one had any issue with any of our fans wanting rid of Mike Ashley or having any association with him because of how badly he ran the club. No one was saying we should be fine with it because other businesses deal with him.

Now swap the running a football club badly part with 'because they're actual murderers' - it doesn't take a leap of imagination to understand why some fans of that club might want rid of them and want no association with them. 

You can still support the club without being antagonistic towards a group of people with a completely reasonable stance. You don't have to excuse yourself for supporting Newcastle, you can support Newcastle while acknowledging that our owners are terrible cunts.

'Support the team, not the regime' was the excuse for years and it applies here, you don't need to excuse the regime because they finance the team.

Edited by Kid Icarus