PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

14 hours ago, Abacus said:

Yes, share payments are an investment funds flow rather than being income earned through profit.

Therefore it's irrelevant to FFP. I.e. even with the cash it doesn't mean we can spend what we like.

Sponsorship income is different and would count favourably towards FFP, hence that's the one with the restrictive associated party rules.

What can they do if Ittihad FC offer us 500m for Krath in the summer?

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Nothing as far as I’m aware; you can bet your bottom dollar the premier league would be changing the rules to make transfers based on some form of fair value though. 

15 hours ago, madras said:

So this single share worth £40mill. Could we do the same with 10shares for £400mill ? Have we just found a very simple way round FFP ?

I'm no expert so I might not have understood this tweet correctly by Kieran Maguire but it looks like you can raise up to £90 million over three years doing it this way.

Edited by macphisto

2 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Have any of the city group clubs or red bull clubs done something along these lines before?

Not that I'm aware of, but then they aren't in the same position as us.

Man city have trailblazed and everyone is shit scared of the very same thing happening with a second club. Hence all these strange sponsorship caps appearing overnight, and likely more stringent rules going forward.

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

Normally player trading would count towards your profit or loss.

In other words, selling Krafth for £0.5 bn should count to increase what you're able to spend under FFP. It's not an investment like the share issue was.

However, I've taken a peek at the PL rules just now. They are quite remarkable, really, and to my reading go way beyond normal companies act definitions, also covering more than just sponsorships, whilst giving the PL wide discretion to pretty much decide whatever they want. 

So, I don't think think you could get away with that Krafth deal. Quite how enforceable they are is another matter - I'm guessing that's why we're lawyering up.

2 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

RPT's only counting to sponsorship is a joke. Watford and Udinese manipulate transfers between themselves all the time. Pozzo gets away with it. 

Watford aren't a threat to the selfish six though.

They’re going to fight us for a couple of seasons but as soon as they realize we aren’t going anywhere, they’ll just put up with us and let whoever (Tottenham seems most likely) fall out of the “big six” and we’ll replace them and be part of the big boys club. 

1 hour ago, LRD said:

500m for Krafth would be so blatant a middle finger to the league and the clubs, I actually love the idea. Ronaldo would probably spontaneously combust at the valuation too. :lol:

If 500mill is the first offer , shouldn't we hold out for more ?

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

They can say it's a related party transaction and adjust the amount counted towards the FFP calculation to a fair market value, i.e. 500p.

Do PIF own Ittihad FC ? If not how is it a related party ?

Just now, madras said:

Do PIF own Ittihad FC ? If not how is it a related party ?

The definition of an associated party in the PL rules is incredibly broad and could potentially be applied to any Saudi business, not just those controlled by PIF. This bit in particular:

(b) The Person and the Club are directly or indirectly controlled, jointly controlled, or Materially Influenced by the same government, public or state-funded body or by the same party;