PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

10 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Absolutely this. Clubs work in so many aspects of the business into deals now too. 

Single commercial deals can span front of shirt, sleeves, front of boards, back of boards, fanzones, digital static & dynamic (which can break down massively), digital takeovers, hospitality coverage, social, pre-roll etc. etc.

What level of scrutiny are they expecting to go into here?

I'm thinking it's more around Money Laundering, Sportswashing, Brand Association (Sponsorship is aligned to PL brand values, etc), but the wording of the statement is highly ambiguous which can work both sides of the equation. Honestly, this feels like the PL serving up platitudes to placate the ruling elite, us and clubs with less financial muscle.

Smart money is on the wealthy clubs finding workarounds, other streams of revenue and this only really changes things for clubs with less operating budgets like others have mentioned.

6 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

PIF/Saudi need to start flexing their financial muscle a bit. The clubs wait and see approach so far is a little concerning.

There will be strategy in place, followed by process and calculated decision making. I have no worries or am concerned about our present and future corporate structure. 

The product on the pitch is of concern, however. :lol:  

2 minutes ago, MagCA said:

Club sources have told The Times that Newcastle’s director, Amanda Staveley, sent a lengthy email to all the other 19 clubs last week saying that the sponsorship rules would be legally challengeable as they are anti-competitive. Other club chiefs have taken the email as a threat that Newcastle could launch a legal challenge if their new sponsorship deals are rejected as being too high.

:lol: what would have been celebrated under Ashley is now met with recourse and litigation. Fucking get in! 

I will forgo any gifts, donate more to charity than I have this year to stay in the league and continue to be a menace to the cunts in the so called "big 6". Fuck them.

25 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

why are you all worried about this?   So basically they are capping sponsorship at the highest level, give or take.   So Man City have a shirt deal for £50M a year say, if NUFC announces new shirt deal and its say £52M then that should be approved as its within the ball park.     If NUFC announce a shirt deal of £300M then that is a different matter , and would likely be rejected.    How that would play out if NUFC wanted to take them to court I dont honestly know.

But yes, it is restriction of trade (or glass ceiling) if I have read it right!

We'll have to wait and see but I suspect that isn't how it is going to work. Man City's market fair market value for sponsorship deals will probably be assessed to be way above ours. 

6 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

We'll have to wait and see but I suspect that isn't how it is going to work. Man City's market fair market value for sponsorship deals will probably be assessed to be way above ours. 

just read the telegraph article and if that is how they assess, then yes, this will go to court.   You can't stop companies from growing by pegging them to their peers.   That is totally restrictive!

9 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

:lol: what would have been celebrated under Ashley is now met with recourse and litigation. Fucking get in! 

I will forgo any gifts, donate more to charity than I have this year to stay in the league and continue to be a menace to the cunts in the so called "big 6". Fuck them.

Fuck them all, challenge it in court, its clearly anti competitive.

Based on the little understanding I have of this I've got absolutely zero objection to it. Fuck being like Chelsea and Man City. 

The reasons behind the imposition are obviously pretty grisly, in that it's the ESL chums squirming to prevent the shop door from being kept open, but in this case I have to say 'so what?' Leicester and West Ham have proven that you don't need to spend the GDP of Iceland every summer just to compete with basket cases like ManU, Arsenal and Spurs, and anything that prevents us from artificially purchasing success gets no opposition from me. It'll be all the more satisfying when we vanquish them all via more organic means. I'm sure we'll still spend a shit-ton in any case. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Based on the little understanding I have of this I've got absolutely zero objection to it. Fuck being like Chelsea and Man City. 

The reasons behind the imposition are obviously pretty grisly, in that it's the ESL chums squirming to prevent the shop door from being kept open, but in this case I have to say 'so what?' Leicester and West Ham have proven that you don't need to spend the GDP of Iceland every summer just to compete with basket cases like ManU, Arsenal and Spurs, and anything that prevents us from artificially purchasing success gets no opposition from me. It'll be all the more satisfying when we vanquish them all via more organic means. I'm sure we'll still spend a shit-ton in any case. 

Do you think it would be Chelsea and City we’d be compared to? It would more likely be Everton and Villa or Leicester.

Finest legal minds on the planet will find loopholes. No idea how they'll do it but they will and they'll take it through the courts of need be. 

I'd love to see the reaction of we announced a 10 year deal to rename the stadium at £30m a season or something like that. All paid in advance. 10 year shirt deal at £18m per year. All paid in advance. 

Then renegotiate in 2 years time and adjust the contract. Something like that. There will be ways around it. 

15 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Fuck them all, challenge it in court, its clearly anti competitive.

Which is why I don't understand the clubs outside of the Big 6 going along with all this confrontation. The legal costs are going to continue to rack up, and ultimately the funding for all this litigation is going to be paid for by them. Man City and Chelsea might not mind pissing money away, but for the rest, what are they going to get from it in the long run? 

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Mate, Leicester (minus previous anomaly) and West Ham will never win the league(maybe a cup), because these two have gobbled up all the resources. The financial avenues of sponsorship are the only way we're going to be able to fast track club development into the top half. Staveley mentioned we want to be challenging in 5 years, it'll be 10 years on before that happens if we're handicapped on capital we can generate. 

Fuck that. 

I'm assuming there are examples of linked parties doing some blatantly mad sponsorship deals at the moment? Harder for them to say that new ones aren't fair value if they have to take into account all current deals too. Maybe this is me convincing myself everything is fine [emoji38]

13 minutes ago, midds said:

I'd love to see the reaction of we announced a 10 year deal to rename the stadium at £30m a season or something like that. All paid in advance. 10 year shirt deal at £18m per year. All paid in advance. 

See what you mean, but dont think the advanced payment would work for FFP as we couldnt recognize 10 years of revenue in the year of the payment. 

Would still be fun if we did get a 10 year advanced payment and NUFC invested it all in a new cryptocurrency called "BeOutCoin" that we sold the next day for 10000% profit 

Edited by BergenMagpie

23 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Totally I just want our club ran well and ambitiously. 

A decent manager and some decent signings. We are coming to the end of an era with pep and klopp on their way in the next couple of years let's build and see where we are in 5 years. Get a structure in place and run with it. Look at the state of man utd, arsenal and spurs half the big 6 are banter clubs now they ain't won fuck all but West ham and Leicester fans are jumpin with having a competitive team and the odd trophy that would do me. 

17 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Mate, Leicester (minus previous anomaly) and West Ham will never win the league(maybe a cup), because these two have gobbled up all the resources. The financial avenues of sponsorship are the only way we're going to be able to fast track club development into the top half. Staveley mentioned we want to be challenging in 5 years, it'll be 10 years on before that happens if we're handicapped on capital we can generate. 

Fuck that. 

I can definitely live with never winning the league. Just to compete, being back in Europe, developing the club and growing our own stars... We don't need to plunge unchecked wealth into our efforts in order to be the club I'd love us to be. 

I will also never buy the idea that Leicester winning the league was somehow invalid, or such an anomaly that it can't be referenced as an example of overcoming the top clubs. 

53 minutes ago, MagCA said:

Loved this bit...

Any proposed new deal for Newcastle will now be matched against similar deals by similar-sized clubs. So for example, a shirt sponsorship deal or stadium naming rights deal would have to be of a similar level to those paid to the likes of Everton, Aston Villa or Leeds United.

So in other words, you can't have sonship deals the same size as the big 6 as its threatening to them.