PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

31 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Be interested to know how independent this company is that’s been chosen to determine a fair value. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10310421/Newcastle-Manchester-City-LEGAL-action-new-commercial-deal-rules.html

If the Premier League are paying this ‘independent’ company for its services then you can bet it will do the PL’s bidding.

He who pays the piper calls the tune. 

21 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Ba had that release clause but only because we structured his wages so it was based on playing

That was Ashley doing what Ashley does best, thinking he could save a few quid in the short term but we allowed a £20m+ player go for way less 

We signed him a free, while there were massive doubts in regards his fitness (knees could explode, remember?) and his quality. He turned out to be fucking brilliant, our best striker since Shearer IMO, but there were enough doubts for his buy-out clause to have been fair enough at the time. 

People talk about the Big Six as if they’re etched in stone - but in the PL era we’ve had the Arsenal-Man Utd duopoly, and a Big Four.

I’d argue the Big Six doesn’t even work as a monolithic entity any more, with a Big Three and three other Big Clubs fighting to cling on to their revenue streams.

And who knows, in a few years, it might be a Big Four again that includes us?

10 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

People talk about the Big Six as if they’re etched in stone - but in the PL era we’ve had the Arsenal-Man Utd duopoly, and a Big Four.

I’d argue the Big Six doesn’t even work as a monolithic entity any more, with a Big Three and three other Big Clubs fighting to cling on to their revenue streams.

Don’t think about the big 6 in sporting terms. Think about them in revenue terms. 

As the whole takeover saga has demonstrated football is a business not a sport. 

13 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

There are four champion's league spots so a "Big 6" already has competition. A "Big 7" make each year even more interesting. I get it, they think 6 is better than 7 for them but for the sporting public? A big 10 would be better.

Edited by McDog

7 hours ago, Sima said:

Letting Cabaye and Ba walk out of the door at the first opportunity was every bit as bad as the Carroll sale imo.

Yeah I moved away from the toon due to work and was coming back for matches but that's when I chucked my season ticket in when we sold cabaye. He was the only player ticking us over that season. 

That and getting beat off spurs on a freezing cold night where adebayor saluted the gallowgate after every goal

It would be interesting to see what the government think when our trade partners saudi are trying to to fund a British business with sponsorship but it's being blocked or reduced. 

Smoke and mirrors just like the takeover I don't see it being stopped in the end and the big clubs will pave the way with regards to rules. 

The papers say the same size deals as Everton and Leeds etc I'd love to know who has quoted this in any rules etc and who has determined who is the same size as who in this whole situation. 

Also how would this work if we get relegated and sign massive deals in the championship, will they go to all this trouble knowing we won't be their problem in a year's time

37 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

It would be interesting to see what the government think when our trade partners saudi are trying to to fund a British business with sponsorship but it's being blocked or reduced. 

Smoke and mirrors just like the takeover I don't see it being stopped in the end and the big clubs will pave the way with regards to rules. 

The papers say the same size deals as Everton and Leeds etc I'd love to know who has quoted this in any rules etc and who has determined who is the same size as who in this whole situation. 

Also how would this work if we get relegated and sign massive deals in the championship, will they go to all this trouble knowing we won't be their problem in a year's time

I’d imagine at that point they wouldn’t formally ‘invite’ us to join the Premier League should we finish in a promotion place.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-united-major-boost-worth-22460356

Well the Liverpool echo isn't reporting it as bad for Newcastle if anything they are reporting it as a danger to Liverpool. 

'But should Newcastle remain in English football's top tier then the new ruling does provide PIF with a platform to challenge the domination of the so-called 'big six' in years to come. In order to achieve that goal they need commercial revenues to be raised significantly, and being able to strike generous deals, albeit at 'fair market value' means that a whole host of new partners will likely come on board from industries that may not have previously been involved'

Sounds like theres no stopping it, you cant have a sponsor for 40m, OK we will have 2 at 20m then how's that? Yeah that's fine mate

5 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-united-major-boost-worth-22460356

Well the Liverpool echo isn't reporting it as bad for Newcastle if anything they are reporting it as a danger to Liverpool. 

'But should Newcastle remain in English football's top tier then the new ruling does provide PIF with a platform to challenge the domination of the so-called 'big six' in years to come. In order to achieve that goal they need commercial revenues to be raised significantly, and being able to strike generous deals, albeit at 'fair market value' means that a whole host of new partners will likely come on board from industries that may not have previously been involved'

Sounds like theres no stopping it, you cant have a sponsor for 40m, OK we will have 2 at 20m then how's that? Yeah that's fine mate

Any club which isn’t named Manchester City will be worried. 

Just now, LRD said:

PL and the Football League are managed differently? Time for investors to buy a Championship club then get big sponsorships in before promotion. What can the PL do?

They can discount a set amount of the sponsorship deal towards the FFP quota. 

eg. 

Deal signed in champ ship worth 100m per season. 

Epl judge fair value to be 10m per season. 

thus 10m and not 100m would be the value used for FFP purposes. 

Just now, Dr.Spaceman said:

So in theory you could find yourself in a position where you gain promotion but are forced to weaken your playing squad due to FFP? Surely not, man.

FFP is over a 3 year period so any club breaching would have time to correct. 

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Oh, so you 3 years to weaken your squad. Great. The whole thing still makes no sense to me, it's ridiculously anti-competitive. Surely it's going to turn hordes of fans away from the sport altogether?

Of course it is, FFP is designed to prevent other clubs progressing. It has nothing to do with fairness or any other such concept. 

its the cartel protecting itself. 

and no it won’t, because most people are stupid and fail to grasp the concepts above. 

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

What's to stop PIF injecting cash into the club via an interest free loan like Ashley did? 

The issue isn’t injecting money in to the company, the issue is what counts towards FFP spend. 

the reason the likes of Man city have to do these stupid sponsorships is because the ownership can’t just inject money and have of count towards FFP.