PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

15 minutes ago, LeeB said:

Don't know if it has been mentioned in here yet, but the club have apparently bought the Barker & Stonehouse building just along from the ground.

Interesting, I bet that wasn't cheap

I'd love it if the club had a proper museum with the trophies, shirts, memorabilia and all that jazz - absolutely everything about the history of the club. Photographs and biographies from all the way back to the Stanley/East End/West End days. I want to know what happened to the original Northumberland Senior Cup, what's the story of the Tynemouth Infirmary Cup (it looks mint, as do all Victorian-era trophies). No single factoid is insignificant. 

Colin Veitch, Jimmy Lawrence, players of that calibre need showcasing. We clearly have the financial resources and the club certainly had a relationship with Paul Joannou (perhaps still do) so we need to get something done because the nature of the club is changing and will change considerably over the coming years and decades (in a good way) and we absolutely can't let elements of our history be lost. 

49 minutes ago, LeeB said:

Don't know if it has been mentioned in here yet, but the club have apparently bought the Barker & Stonehouse building just along from the ground.

I imagine it would be on interest free credit, where we don't have to pay the first installment until 2024.

But actually yes, if true that would make a great club shop and / or museum.

54 minutes ago, LeeB said:

The club or Rueben brothers?

1 hour ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Probably a club shop. B&S are moving to that new one near IKEA, I believe. 

Yeah they are, they are also moving into Fenwicks on Northumberland Street as well. Fenwicks are about to do a large internal refurbishment of their store.

On 05/07/2022 at 12:44, manorpark said:

An excellent location, and importantly (to me) it is in Newcastle, whereas the current place is just outside the City Boundary in the Metropolitan Borough of North Tyneside.

Really? The city boundaries are a bit arbitrary, the Parklands site is further from St James’ Park than the current Benton site. North Tyneside is effectively Greater Newcastle. 

3 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Really? The city boundaries are a bit arbitrary, the Parklands site is further from St James’ Park than the current Benton site. North Tyneside is effectively Greater Newcastle. 

The new site will literally be on the boundary of North Tyneside and indeed closer to the boundary of Northumberland than to SJP.

For what it’s worth though, Sunderland’s training ground/academy is actually in Tyneside, in fact it’s fence around the perimeter is the actual boundary between South Tyneside and Sunderland.

On 05/07/2022 at 12:44, manorpark said:

An excellent location, and importantly (to me) it is in Newcastle, whereas the current place is just outside the City Boundary in the Metropolitan Borough of North Tyneside.

You got a problem with the Metropolitan Borough of North Tyneside eh?

Watch your letterbox

5 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Parklands is Newcastle yeah. The line ends halfway through Hazlerigg, leading to daft things like me in North Tyneside living 2 minutes drive from the tip there, but having to use the one half an hour away past the Silverlink.

29 minutes ago, NE27 said:

You got a problem with the Metropolitan Borough of North Tyneside eh?

Watch your letterbox

You can support "North Tyneside United" if you like, no problem with that.

It is simple and non-contentious, I prefer Newcastle United to be in Newcastle, that's all!

37 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Yes, North Tyneside was a hastily established "administratve area" for the provision of local authority services, in 1974.

It is not a 'place' and it was never intended to be one, it does not appear on UK maps.

I agree entirely, we live in one continuous urban area, the 7th largest urban area in the UK, and (as far as most people in the UK are concerned) it is all "Greater Newcastle".

1443998273_NewcastlePostcodesMAP-Part.png

37 minutes ago, manorpark said:

You can support "North Tyneside United" if you like, no problem with that.

It is simple and non-contentious, I prefer Newcastle United to be in Newcastle, that's all!

Why if you don't mind me asking? No reason just think it makes sense or something?

3 hours ago, NE27 said:

Why if you don't mind me asking? No reason just think it makes sense or something?

I think I have already said why.

Newcastle United fully based in Newcastle, contributing to our economy by the payment of Business Rates, and just 'being here'.

The Training Ground can be anywhere in Newcastle, but the Stadium should be somewhere in the City Centre, like it currently is.

To use your phrase . . it makes sense . . it is our identity, it is where we grew up, it is where we belong!

4 hours ago, madras said:

Parkland is in Newcastle isn't it?

Yes it is, as I have said quite a few times just above.

If you read the posts you will see it is others asking the questions about "North Tyneside", not me!

9 hours ago, NE27 said:

It is a topic that is discussed many times on the SkyScraperCity forum that some members on here are members of.

Basically Newcastle’s true population figures are lowered because it’s urban area is split into different councils, those being Newcastle City Council, North Tyneside, Gateshead, South Tyneside, and Northumberland.

This means that on paper Newcastle has a smaller population than it’s urban, social and economic area really does. This means that outside investment may overlook investing in Newcastle because the population does not look that great, and more controversially, it lacks government investment for the same reasons.

Newcastle airport is part owner by the different councils, as well as Durham council and Sunderland Council to the ones already mentioned. Each council used to hold a share equalling to their population, and Sunderland quite famously on Wearside held a greater share than Newcastle council did. This was because how Newcastle’s population figures are split up into 5 different councils, instead of Sunderland’s council including all of their population figures. As it happens Newcastle councils population figures even after being split up, recently surpassed Sunderland’s, as well as each council who holds a share in the airport changing to a model where they all own an equal share. This means that Sunderland council no longer owns more of Newcastle airport than Newcastle council does.

Of course it was never really important how much share each council held, but it was sort of a symbol of the problem of population counting for Newcastle due to the different councils. Newcastle’s true population levels are actually on par with those of Glasgow, and other major cities.

The issue doesn’t end there, as one person pointed out it prevents someone from using facilities closer to them because of council boundaries, and having to use facilities further away.

A couple of issues that have arises lately is the fact that one council can do work on a traffic issue which fixes the issue where they are, but pushes the bottle neck further down the road in a different council area. Meaning that council now has to deal with the issue, rather than them working together to fix the issue as a whole.

Another issue is the fact that North a Tyneside council or similar will permit out of town retail parks and office parks with much lower rents and business rates than Newcastle council has. Meaning retail and office jobs are being pushed out to hard to access out of town locations, instead of then being placed inside Newcastle city centre which is easy to access, and it also has a knock effect for the towns in the other council area, the very reason why towns like North Shields, and Wallsend have been left behind, and Gateshead town centre being a bigger example.

Sorry to go off topic a bit.