I supported Newcastle when....

We played QPR at home and were 2 down in the first 5 minutes, then 3 down after 70 odd minutes.

The crowd streamed out, and we scored 2 in the last 10 minutes so anyone late in and left early missed 4 goals.

That was the day I swore I’d never leave a match before the end. 😁😂

Edited by ennyoueffsea

When me and my younger brother was watching wrestling and it came up on the screen that Cole had signed for Man utd...my brother being a man utd fan laughing at me crying got punched in the ear soon after 🤣

Edited by Gaztoon

We signed John Barnes, Stuart Pearce and Ian Rush in 97. Aged 34, 35 and 36 I think. Remember Pearce being decent for a bit actually. Cant remember Barnes featuring much. Rush less so but I think he scored a winner in a cup game. Remember it being a big winner. Could have been the FA cup semi but that's a guess.

Dalglish was crazy.

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

We signed John Barnes, Stuart Pearce and Ian Rush in 97. Aged 34, 35 and 36 I think. Remember Pearce being decent for a bit actually. Cant remember Barnes featuring much. Rush less so but I think he scored a winner in a cup game. Remember it being a big winner. Could have been the FA cup semi but that's a guess.

Dalglish was crazy.

League cup V Hull 

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Was that the replay when we were shocking in the first game?

Nah, wasn't a replay, Des Hamilton scored the first we won 2-0

I remember the game well because the lass i was with dumped me before the game because she said i didn't give her enough attention.

I forgot her name btw:D

My parents moved down South to get work in 1972 so my first games were in the 1972/73 season at Arsenal (2-0 ahead, but drew 2-2 in end) and Tottenham (2-0 ahead, lost 2-3 in the end). That told me all I needed to know about supporting Newcastle and when things are going well always expect them to get worse…

1 hour ago, Dancing Brave said:

League cup V Hull 

The tickets were more expensive than Barcelona in the Champions League a few midweeks earlier. (Hull were bottom of the 4th division at the time).

Kept the Hull ticket stub for that novelty reason and the Barcelona one for obvious reasons.

Didn't matter, both sold out.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Forgot Barnes played upfront for us when Shearer got injured in 97-98 and Les and Beardsley had left. Top scorer with 6. He wasnt exactly the quickest then.

John Barnes being our top scorer is a shameful indictment of the ownership as much as Dalglish - similar to the time Jonjo Shelvey was also our top league scorer with six.

One day, children will never believe either of those facts.

standing in the scoreboard section, it was the height of good manners, for the person behind you, to tap you on the shoulder to let you know he was about to take a piss!

Edited by Awaymag

• 4 months later...

According to the on this day section on nufc.com i attended my 1st Toon game at home to West Ham on this very date in 1976. Won 2-1. League position after that result? 14th. Points tally? 31. Exactly how we stand now. 46 years on. 

First memory is the 1974 cup final and supermac skying a shot from the edge of the 18 yard box. 
and I used to sit it the Trent end at the city ground in the mid - late 90’s / early 2000’s or whenever forest went down for the last time. Keeping my head down and gib shut. Soon as Batty made that rick in 1996 and Woan went for it I thought ‘that’s the title gone.’ 

Edited by Mahoneys Tache

I supported Newcastle when we twice finished second in the Premier League, and finished in the top six a further five times. When we got to three FA Cup Finals; two further FA Cup semi-finals. When we reached one League Cup final and seven LC quarter finals. When we made it to three UEFA cup quarter finals, and one semi-final. 

When we beat Juventus and Barcelona in the Champions League.  When I eventually saw them score, in person, at Wembley (thanks Rob Lee). When we won the ‘Championship’ three times, and were promoted another time. When we finished third in the new big bad Premiership, by just doing our stuff and blowing teams away in the way we had the season before in the supposedly markedly inferior league below. 

When the personalities and passion involved made you could feel proud of the club and it made you proud to be a Geordie. There are more good times coming, and we will be around to see them. 

My last game before moving to Spain was 1997, Nufc Vs Barca in the champions league "Tino, there´s only one Tino...". Been supporting since 89-90, keegan and bobby were the best I have ever seen, after bobby left it has never lived up to expectations.