Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

My good mate supports Brighton and says he is responsible for Potter, their recruitment and their academy set up and that he’d be disappointed if he leaves, that will do for me!

Just now, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

We might appoint someone called Dan instead of a man called Marc or Michael? What a travesty. What is the world coming to?

Yes in comparison Marc Overmars is more exciting than Dan Ashworth. A lot of us remember him as a player and are loosely aware of what he's done at Ajax. You've got the big name players that have been sold for big money and deep European runs.

Then you have a man called Dan. Expectations are immediately lower, you expect he's worked with (at best) midtable PL teams. Turns out it's boring Brighton. Their most exciting player is a Chelsea youth fullback.

1 minute ago, James said:

He completely transformed the youth set up at England which has translated to winning youth trophies and players moving into seniors and getting to semis or finals 

Genuine question. How much of that is down to him? And how much of that is down to the Academy's of Chelsea, Man City et al.?

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Yes in comparison Marc Overmars is more exciting than Dan Ashworth. A lot of us remember him as a player and are loosely aware of what he's done at Ajax. You've got the big name players that have been sold for big money and deep European runs.

Then you have a man called Dan. Expectations are immediately lower, you expect he's worked with (at best) midtable PL teams. Turns out it's boring Brighton. Their most exciting player is a Chelsea youth fullback.

He could be called Cunty McCuntface for all I care. My expectations aren’t going to be lowered on his fucking name.

We’re still not in a position to be able to go out and immediately hire the best in the business across every area. Do you you know if he’s had to work within certain parameters at Brighton? No. We’ve had a tea boy/secretary doing everything for years and whenever a new role has been created it’s been down to cronyism. 

I'm actually quite grateful I've been out of the loop on the wider football world for so long. I was never going to be underwhelmed or overwhelmed with whoever comes in because whether they're considered a big name or not I'll know fuck all about them or what they've done.

Best of luck if he comes on board.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Genuine question. How much of that is down to him? And how much of that is down to the Academy's of Chelsea, Man City et al.?

I imagine it’s both? Even we’ve produced one or two who might go on to decent things like Anderson and Clarke.

22 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Let's hope so. Too many of our fans expecting us to compete with Man City next season.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We obviously aren’t close to appointing him as the athletic article does state we won’t have a new DOF till end of January at the earliest.

He could sign the dotted line tonight but won't start until the end of January?

The Athletic could get it wrong as well.

Or he might not get appointed at all.

Would Dan Ashworth be more palatable if he'd played centre midfield for Barcelona? We all know that's a key skill for a director of football, it's what held Dennis Wise back. I do get that having a foreign sounding name is just better, sounds cool and exotic, and gives a 15-20% uplift but I reckon this guy could still be pretty good at his job despite his many obvious drawbacks. Brighton are a well run club, we've had a decade and a half of the Ashley-Charnley Show, if Dan Ashworth gives a shit interview or ultimately just doesn't fancy it then we move on. I think we'll be fine as long as we're not heading down into 12th choice territory. 

Two important things to note. 

Ornstein is probably the most reliable football journalist in the country. 

Ashworth is one of the candidates for the job, he’s clearly not the only one. 

let’s wait and see how this plays out before deciding if he’s world class or terrible eh?