Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Interesting fact. Did you know that Alan Smith was shagging Neve Campbell?

Fwiw, despite being shite for us, hes actually sound. My brother does footballing coaching with him out in the U.S.

Eh? Really? :lol:

1 hour ago, wormy said:

Have I misremembered? I thought Allardyce came here well aware of the financial constraints that were to be expected under Shepherd. As you mentioned, Shepherd went for him specifically because of his bargain bin achievements, and I recall everyone and their dog know that ahead of the appointment. If he didn't realise it then I've even less respect for him than the little I already had. :lol:

If anything, he lucked out with Ashley coming in and not yet being the prick we all know and hate, as a quick look at Transfermarkt tells me we had the 9th biggest expenditure in the league that summer. Nothing crazy, but I'm sure it's a damn sight more than if Ashley hadn't taken over that summer.

Maybe it's an overreaction but in hindsight, I actually hold Fat Sam responsible for a lot of what we saw over Ashley's tenure. Maybe it was just always destined to go wrong, but it sure as hell didn't help that he had to sack his first manager after less than a season for spunking any money given up the wall. Probably what led him to trust very few managers again, leading to the undermining of KK and overall deterioration of his relationship with the fans and ultimately, the wild swings between negligence and spiteful actions.

Ashley was clearly always a prick, but I blame Allardyce for it surfacing so damn quickly.

Ashley was a dick from the beginning. His "strategic review" of the club at the start and "surprise" at the debt of the club were a load of crap, he knew all about it and never had any intention of spending a a penny on the club and bleeding it dry/promoting his tat for no outlay. Same thing that he's done with House of Fraser, Lillywhites and any other business he's taken over; they all go downhill. Probably only exception is Flannels.

1 hour ago, wormy said:

Have I misremembered? I thought Allardyce came here well aware of the financial constraints that were to be expected under Shepherd. As you mentioned, Shepherd went for him specifically because of his bargain bin achievements, and I recall everyone and their dog know that ahead of the appointment. If he didn't realise it then I've even less respect for him than the little I already had. :lol:

If anything, he lucked out with Ashley coming in and not yet being the prick we all know and hate, as a quick look at Transfermarkt tells me we had the 9th biggest expenditure in the league that summer. Nothing crazy, but I'm sure it's a damn sight more than if Ashley hadn't taken over that summer.

Maybe it's an overreaction but in hindsight, I actually hold Fat Sam responsible for a lot of what we saw over Ashley's tenure. Maybe it was just always destined to go wrong, but it sure as hell didn't help that he had to sack his first manager after less than a season for spunking any money given up the wall. Probably what led him to trust very few managers again, leading to the undermining of KK and overall deterioration of his relationship with the fans and ultimately, the wild swings between negligence and spiteful actions.

Ashley was clearly always a prick, but I blame Allardyce for it surfacing so damn quickly.

By the time Allardyce came to the club, we had an established boom and bust cycle after Keegan. Some years we didn't have much, parts of the Dalglish era/the year Robson could only sign Bowyer whilst at other times we spent a fair few quid, Owen and Luque. I suspect Allardyce was promised a few quid in a season or two after he arrived.

1 hour ago, Dr Venkman said:

Cacapa in the hole. 

Cacapa was a particular low point and I felt very sorry for him. To try and adapt to a more physically demanding league at his age was impossible. In a modern back three maybe he works, but it was a highlight to how few strings the Allardyce bow had. 

Good news If true, I know nothing of the man, but we badly need this role filled!

Edited by HTT II

Hopefully it is true, would be a great appointment and set us up nicely for the Summer of change coming up. 

Felt much better about Hammond’s appointment listening to last week’s Pod on the Tyne this morning too, he is basically doing the stuff Frank McPartland was expected to do, the things that Charnley done under Ashley such as negotiating contracts rather than actually choosing who to sign. 

20 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Talks sense and doesn’t seem to have a huge ego to cause conflict with managers. Think he will work well with Howe.

Good video that. Hopefully he's another piece of the jigsaw.