The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

2 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I understand wanting to turn off to all this - and do myself most of the time, but I'm proud fans are also engaging with the issue. For anyone interested:

(*turns off notifications*)

Perfect time to discuss it and remind people outraged at Russian imperialism in Ukraine that we are still selling weapons to Saudi Arabia so that they can blow up hospitals and kids in Yemen.

23 minutes ago, Smal said:

Perfect time to discuss it and remind people outraged at Russian imperialism in Ukraine that we are still selling weapons to Saudi Arabia so that they can blow up hospitals and kids in Yemen.

didn't think about it before the takeover, won't think about it now.  Reckon 99% of NUFC fans are the same.

28 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Me too, and I don't think the Saudi state should be using our club to distract from dropping bombs on Yemen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will only care if we don’t win something under them, if so, I’ll be full of outrage on social media and probably cancel the bairns’ Disney channel!

1 minute ago, veriaqa said:

Basing my opinion on Russian thread, it's of no use to post video like this. People wont watch it, and people will still have the same miss conception, and you will be called Saudi bot. :lol:

That's why I only picked a 7-minute video :iamatwat:

I have absolutely no problem with people having a different opinion as long as they are well-informed in the topic they're discussing.

Sigh. Yet again I feel the need to wade in to explain my, and i think plenty of fans but that is presumptious fair enough if it is just me, have this position. 

Saudi Arabia is a horrendous regime i would not wish on anyone to live under. They have bought the club to make them look good and get positive publicity. This absolutely should not be happening, football clubs should be owned by the fans not be political footballs used to make regimes look good. No i do not think all the other sins of all the other club owners, countries etc are great either. 

The premier league is not a temple, not some land of morally upstanding clubs. This does not negate the problems with saudi arabia. 

It is OK to love Newcastle to enjoy our success while this is going on. If someone is able to live like a monk and not involve themselves in anything bad good for them but most people can't. Nobody apart from premier league were given teh choice over who owns our club. We/you/they have no control. and should not be expected to take moral stands of their own. Everyone has their own compromises, most do not have room to deal with thsi shit. That is understandable. 

I admire the people who can cut it out totally but I do feel guilty I can't. But I will nto apologise for the regime. I dont care how anyone justifies the saudi arabian regime. That is embarassing, noone asked you to, any of us in uk are allowed to call KSA knobs. I am excited to not be struggling with relegation, to have some good players and good football. I do have reservations about becoming a super corporate bland club like PSG all just vehicle for superstar players to expand their brand but that is almost a seperate thing. 

What is objectionable is anyone going out their way to try and make out how absolute wonderful people our owners are. You don't have to. Noone had to do so under Ashley just cos he was our owner. They want to look good, I just think if people use the extra microscope on them there is no reason for the sportwashing to work. That can fail and the club can still be a boost to the local morale. I also feel i can't be totally negative, tghe investment comng into the region will be great. So much investment is dodgy it feels ridiculius to turn down. But you don't have to become the KSA's PR officer unpaid because of this.

I have, as a gay fan, found the lgbt NUFC group embracing the ownership saying they hoped somehow woudl make them more gay friendly  slightly embarassing. They should be critical. We live in a free country, you can be critical of someone/something you love. It doesn't mean you are a 'troll' or are doing teh club down. I love NUFC. I always will. I respect those boycotting. I am just going to remind myself, and frankly others that are owners are ultimately autocratic twats so the sportwashing doesnt work. Other clubs are owned by shits too.

Indeed, clubs should be owned and safeguarded by the fans, not by sovereign states. I believe we'd all be better off if all this money didnt come into the league and all clubs were looked after as community assets not as cash cows of reputation dry cleaners. That is not the world we live in but it is one we should be fighting towards. 

There. Please dont feel guilty for being a NUFC fan but dont think anyone who has issues with it, or is a bit conflicted, is 'ill informed' etc etc. We dont need purity checks. Everyone should be excited about the club, about the investment in teh area. Everyone should also not let club fandom blind them to the rest of the issues. 

Edited by Tiresias

1 hour ago, Khalidao said:

I hope the lovely people having this online "meeting" are well-informed about the geopolitics of the region and recognize Saudi is actually at war with the Houthis, not the Yemenis.

I think a lot of people know this and just wilfully misrepresent it to suit themselves (RTG), which is low. The many others that just assume those versions of events to be representative are ignorant. (also RTG)

Its a civil war fuelled by proxy operators - both of these things take two sides and even then its an Arab coallition not just one country.

I actually never seen it represented as anything else....until we were taken over.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I reckon the people leading the online meeting are well informed tbh. I know for a fact one of the guys running the account was active in these issues well before the takeover. I don't blame anyone for not caring about who owns us. But don't understand anyone critcising people for trying to counter the blatant sportswashing goal of our purchase, or using it as an opportunity to criticize the British-backed Saudi abuses. (And I don't think I've ever met anyone thinks SA is 'at war with Yemen' but cheers for the video)

Edited by Inferior Acuña

7 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I reckon the people leading the online meeting are well informed tbh. I know for a fact one of the guys running the account was active in these issues well before the takeover. I don't blame anyone for not caring about who owns us. But don't understand anyone critcising people for trying to counter the blatant sportswashing goal of our purchase, or using it as an opportunity to criticize the British-backed Saudi abuses. (And I don't think I've ever met anyone thinks SA is 'at war with Yemen' but cheers for the video)

His aim is to kick the Saudis out of the club as per his article in the mag. Let him crack on but he’s deluded and out of touch with the majority.

4 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

His aim is to kick the Saudis out of the club as per his article in the mag. Let him crack on but he’s deluded and out of touch with the majority.

There is no 'his', that guy's the chair of the meeting, he's not that account, and he's not a group. And if that becomes the ultimate goal of the 'group' cool, but I'm quite sure they'll know that's unlikely and unpopular (and will crack on with your permission), and the more immediate goal will be to counter sportswashing. 

2 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

There is no 'his', that guy's the chair of the meeting, he's not that account, and he's not a group. And if that becomes the ultimate goal of the 'group' cool, but I'm quite sure they'll know that's unlikely and unpopular (and will crack on with your permission), and the more immediate goal will be to counter sportswashing. 

I’ll rephrase then. ‘The chairs aim is to kick the Saudis out the club’. Seems a bit odd to want to shit on fellow fans like that, but each to their own.

Edited by Whitley mag

Guest neesy111
Just now, veriaqa said:

Yeah indeed. Hopefully they (the Saudi) realise that this is a futile exercise and sold NUFC as soon as possible to more noble owner with high moral standard. Maybe the fans group or some local bussinessman.

WAT

35 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

Yeah indeed. Hopefully they (the Saudi) realise that this is a futile exercise and sold NUFC as soon as possible to more noble owner with high moral standard. Maybe the fans group or some local bussinessman.

Fanciful thinking unfortunately:sad:

11 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Fanciful thinking unfortunately:sad:

Not that fanciful. If every fans in every home game make their opinion on Saudi ownership clear, that the fans dont want their bloody money and their backward culture on NUFC, eventually the Saudi will grow tired and sold NUFC.

If fans dont want the sportwasing side, they should not want and reject the money and the success that the sportwashing will bring too.

If I was Salman, I will sold NUFC or give it for free amd buy another club that will accept the sportwashing and succes happily, like maybe Man Utd with their plastic fans or maybe Sunderland

4 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

Not that fanciful. If every fans in every home game make their opinion on Saudi ownership clear, that the fans dont want their bloody money and their backward culture on NUFC, eventually the Saudi will grow tired and sold NUFC.

If fans dont want the sportwasing side, they should not want and reject the money and the success that the sportwashing will bring too.

If I was Salman, I will sold NUFC or give it for free amd buy another club that will accept the sportwashing and succes happily, like maybe Man Utd with their plastic fans or maybe Sunderland

Dislike button 

2 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

Yes, well maybe when every fans in home game make the boos for the Saudi owners, that will be the time to sell up and buy Man U or Sunderland. Keep watching.