The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

Newcastle fans feeling obliged to defend the honour of the Saudi regime and ruining some random dweeb’s life in the process is sort of the point of sportswashing.

Incredibly embarrassing and shameful but as you can see from reading this board, we’re too far gone at this point to change. Vast majority of fans fully on board with that sort of thing. 

Edited by Bompeter

5 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

Newcastle fans feeling obliged to defend the honour of the Saudi regime and ruining some random dweeb’s life in the process is sort of the point of sportswashing.

Incredibly embarrassing and shameful but as you can see from reading this board, we’re too far gone at this point to change. Vast majority of fans fully on board with that sort of thing. 

Nice join date mate, almost 2 weeks after the takeover. 

People have been sacked for far less for being mongs on Twitter - why is this guy any different?

Edited by Menace

5 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Why did it make you feel uncomfortable that you had to bring this thread up? because its in Arabic? loads of our fans feel the same way and tweeted about it.

"because it's in Arabic?!" [emoji38]

Are you alright? 

2 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

No-one feels obliged to do anything, and calling out a professional journalist on shoddy and tasteless stuff like this has nothing to do with sportswashing. He failed to read the room and made a pretty nasty (and unfunny) joke, he made it on a public forum and paid the price. 

If I made that joke as bants in the pub nowt gets said, though I wouldn't do that as I'm not that much of a twat. If I made it on a public platform and I was heavily associated with the 'brand' of my employer, I'd get canned for misconduct. Free speech does not mean free from consequences. He knew that so fuck him.

If this isn't sportwaahing then what what fuck is?!

The fact a load of Saudi bots are now celebrating it and saying stuff like "a good reason to buy the club" is a fucking tragic by-product of all that nonsense.

Edited by Thumbheed

9 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

"because it's in Arabic?!" [emoji38]

Are you alright? 

I'm actually wondering the same about you?  it seems to be quite a silly reaction as clearly that Simon fella was using a serious issue to try and score a cheap shot at Newcastle and he suffered the consequences of his own actions, the account that tweeted about this is an actual Newcastle fan from Saudi who supported the club from 2005, and many of his follower are/were also fans and  like many of our other fans was happy to see him get the sack, you can debate wither or not our fans reaction was correct but that's already being done in the Greenwood thread.

That reply from Jonny Sharples with the photo of the bloke shooting himself summed it up perfectly.  Twitter is full of Karen type cunts and our fan base has more than its fair share, but this is what potentially happens when you try to act the smart arse to an audience of sensitive drama queens.  Most people upon reading the original tweet could probably foresee what was coming, it's just a shame for poor Simon that he didn't give it a bit more thought before hitting send.

5 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I'm actually wondering the same about you?  it seems to be quite a silly reaction as clearly that Simon fella was using a serious issue to try and score a cheap shot at Newcastle and he suffered the consequences of his own actions, the account that tweeted about this is an actual Newcastle fan from Saudi who supported the club from 2005, and many of his follower are/were also fans and  like many of our other fans was happy to see him get the sack, you can debate wither or not our fans reaction was correct but that's already being done in the Greenwood thread.

It was a cheap shot at the owners, not Newcastle United. 

If he'd said he's [Greenwood] a right fit for Newcastle United, then have at it, the reaction from the fans would be justifiable. But for us to set on him like a pack of attack dogs and defend the virtues of the Saudi fucking regime is sportwashing in the strictest sense; something I'm absolutely not comfortable being associated with the club. 

I'm not interested in whether it was right or wrong he lost his job, or the debate on actions and consequences of a crass comment made on a public forum, I'm interested in the fact that the reaction to the tweet appears to be the very definition of sportwashing. 

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

It was a cheap shot at the owners, not Newcastle United. 

If he'd said he's [Greenwood] a right fit for Newcastle United, then have at it, the reaction from the fans would be justifiable. But for us to set on him like a pack of attack dogs and defend the virtues of the Saudi fucking regime is sportwashing in the strictest sense; something I'm absolutely not comfortable being associated with the club. 

I'm not interested in whether it was right or wrong he lost his job, or the debate on actions and consequences of a crass comment made on a public forum, I'm interested in the fact that the reaction to the tweet appears to be the very definition of sportwashing. 

First of all our "owners" are not just the Saudi's and even if they were, what did he mean by he would fit nicely with our owners? does it imply that all Saudis are women beating rapists?  even if it was a shot at the Saudis  it's still wrong, offensive, and borderline racist, not to mention its making light of a serious issue, if our fans don't stand up to this sort of nonsense it will only get worse.

It was an incredibly daft tweet from someone even moderately in the public eye like, essentially using a victim of sexual assault as a political weapon. Most of the tweets I've seen from our fans were related to that, not defending the Saudi virtues as you put it. 

Tarring all of our owners with the same brush wasn't a particularly smart move either, it's not like we're exclusively owned by Saudis. 

I have tried to switch off my moral compass as much as possible since the takeover because what's the point, football sold it's soul ages ago, I am not going to be able to do anything about anything and I would just like to be able to enjoy seeing the club actually achieve something for once in my life.

But it is quite difficult to totally remove myself from the context of the situation and the willingness of some fans to conflate our owners with our club's identity does trouble me a bit.

FWIW I think the guy who did the tweet was extremely stupid and he can have no complaints about losing his job as a result.

I’m uncomfortable living with a Conservative government, but as long as their morals and values expressed through their policies don’t prevent me   enjoying living in England, then I’ll just crack on. Literally nothing that can be done to change a regime here or elsewhere. No point protesting, just spoils the vibe/chance to actually get some real enjoyment out of supporting our team. If we just treat people as we personally see fit and hold the beliefs that seem fair to us (… may be a bit of variation in here!) it’s probs the best plan. At least we all have control over that. 

1 hour ago, Bompeter said:

[emoji38]

11 minutes ago, Andy said:

It was an incredibly daft tweet from someone even moderately in the public eye like, essentially using a victim of sexual assault as a political weapon. Most of the tweets I've seen from our fans were related to that, not defending the Saudi virtues as you put it. 

Tarring all of our owners with the same brush wasn't a particularly smart move either, it's not like we're exclusively owned by Saudis. 

Exactly, it never really crossed my mind that people were using this as some kind of exercise in defending the Saudis. Seems a bit of a RTG-esque stretch to be saying this is sports washing in action.

This shouldn’t be part of the same discussion as the other stuff around our owners. This is an individual tweeting something deliberately inflammatory and then finding out he’s not as funny and/or clever as he thought he was. Did he deserve to lose his job? That’s up for debate but had he made that joke about any other club he’d have got the same response from their fanbases. Serves him right.

4 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Can someone tell me what sportwashing would look like if this isn't it? 

Look at the shite chucked at Hatice Cengiz from our fans. That’s a good example. This is a bloke getting dragged on Twitter for making a tit of himself.

Wow. Bad enough that some Man U supporting twerp was trying to deflect from Mason Greenwood's rape and assault by talking about Saudi Arabia, but now we are doing it ourselves? This isn't about Newcastle United, if you want to have a go at our owners, I'm sure you can do it without relating it to every random crime committed by some prick somewhere.

14 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

In this instance Mason Greenwood has physically abused and raped his partner, how does that relate to our owners?

Edited by Newcastle Fan

16 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Saudi buying Newcastle and are associated with us = "Saudi is not that bad, they are opening up and are involved in football"

Qatar is hosting a WC = "wow, Qatar is a nice place, hosting a big event. It must be great"

It's about making other things than human rights issues for example, being top of mind for most people.

Just fucking google it if you are interested in the topic. This tweet is not a good example of sportswashing.

Edited by High Five o