The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

2 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

:lol: Not a chance. She was living her life then a Nazi forced her at a crisis point to choose between her children. Me and other footy fans are living our footy fan lives and at any point we can decide to back away from football a bit, to whatever degree we like. If you can come up with an example where a choice to withdraw from football is even remotely similar to Sophie’s Choice I’d love to hear it :lol:

I've already said that they're not comparable circumstances in terms of severity man, I'm not mental :lol: Maybe it's just me like, but I don't think analogies should need to meet a BBFC severity-match threshold to be used purely to make a broader point. :lol:

The Saudis came in and the choice for Newcastle fans was to either carry on as normal or change something about their support as a result of that. Unless I've missed something, that's a binary choice that we all made.

Another thread ruined. :lol:

5 hours ago, leffe186 said:

That’s why God made the NFL :lol:

Oh so blatent White Supremacy doesn't pique your personal moral compass then? What that sport has shown post Kaepernick and BLM is equally as morally questionable as the ownership quandries of the Premier League if you ask me.

49 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Essentially everything enjoyable is stained by grimness. It’s shit but it’s where we are. I can’t think of one popular entertainment that isn’t. 

Yep. Its called capitalism.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

Essentially everything enjoyable is stained by grimness. It’s shit but it’s where we are. I can’t think of one popular entertainment that isn’t. 

Sad truth right here, put money in the mix and immediately things get grim 

5 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Didn’t the head of PIF have a journalist murdered, dismembered and smuggled out of an embassy in bags? 

Allegedly.

One of those “Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth” by the same organization claiming Iraq had WMDs.

2 minutes ago, Khalidao said:

Allegedly.

One of those “Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth” by the same organization claiming Iraq had WMDs.

What do you think happened considering the Saudis themselves first lied saying that he left the embassy an hour after arriving before admitting a few weeks later he died in a "fight" at the embassy

9 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Bravo. Although I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, we’re not all hypocrites. I’ve been done with this whole thing for a while now, and it sounds like Triggs is too.

You really do have a choice. Of course I’ll always be a Spurs fan at heart and when I look at the scores I’ll be happy when we win and sad when we lose, but I’m out for the most part. Barely even watch football any more. My heart’s broken.

Not trying to be holier-than-thou, honestly, just it seems like sometimes people act like they don’t have a choice. You don’t have a choice whether to support Newcastle in your heart or not, but you do have a choice in what you do about it.

Right, apologies, to clarify, we're all hypocrites on something is what I'm saying. We all have our double standard for something. 

3 hours ago, ManDoon said:

It's not necessarily stained by grimness to the extent of NUFC unfortunately. 

As much as I despise capitalism we're beyond the deep end of the cesspool here. Our owners executed 81 people yesterday. 81 people's lives. 

Edited by Smal

24 minutes ago, ljackson said:

Hi, I am conducting research for my undergraduate degree in Sociology at the University of Sheffield. I am looking for football fans and non-football fans to fill out a short questionnaire about perspectives on owners and ownership of football clubs in relation to the human rights records of the owners. I would appreciate it if anyone could fill it out. Thanks. (all responses will be anonymous)

Link to the survey:

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/TKY3DA/ 

55 minutes ago, Smal said:

It's not necessarily stained by grimness to the extent of NUFC unfortunately. 

As much as I despise capitalism we're beyond the deep end of the cesspool here. Our owners executed 81 people yesterday. 81 people's lives. 

How many do the good old USA execute every year ? rather be a part of the capatilist fraternity than Putin's communism 

10 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

How many do the good old USA execute every year ? rather be a part of the capatilist fraternity than Putin's communism 

Just looked that up, we did 25 in 2018, 22 in 2019, and then 17 in 2020 but you know COVID-19 probably made it challenging to perform as many executions as we would like.

There is also a worrying situation in the US where pharmaceutical companies are refusing to provide the chemicals used in lethal injections, so many states are saying "fuck it" and using homebrewed concoctions with absolutely horrific results.

So it's really just a question of scale. 81 people in a day seems like a lot, but the U.S. does routinely executive its citizens as a matter of course, and those executions are occasionally proved to have been the result of false convictions. I'm sure the number of actual false convictions is higher than the number that have been proved, as well.

I'm against it of course because, while I do think some offenders are probably best rehabilitated via murder, I do not have any faith in the ability of our legal system to determine who those people are either accurately or fairly.

Edited by Miercoles

5 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Oh so blatent White Supremacy doesn't pique your personal moral compass then? What that sport has shown post Kaepernick and BLM is equally as morally questionable as the ownership quandries of the Premier League if you ask me.

That works. So if it’s equally morally questionable (and if you factor in the NCAA then that’s another layer, but I digress) then the parity afforded by the salary cap and draft tips the balance towards the NFL :lol:

16 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

How many do the good old USA execute every year ?

What has that got to do with NUFC?

Unless you’re saying you’re fine with our owners executing people because USA also does it?? 

2 hours ago, triggs said:

What do you think happened considering the Saudis themselves first lied saying that he left the embassy an hour after arriving before admitting a few weeks later he died in a "fight" at the embassy

All I know is that the responsible individuals (with their real names and occupations fully revealed) have been convicted and are in jail right now.

Khashoggi's real family has applauded the verdict, traveled to the US and back shortly after that. Why didn't they apply for US asylum? If I had to guess they would've been granted a permenant stay quicker than anyone else.

BBC isn't Saudi, is it? here you go:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45988533

27 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Just looked that up, we did 25 in 2018, 22 in 2019, and then 17 in 2020 but you know COVID-19 probably made it challenging to perform as many executions as we would like.

There is also a worrying situation in the US where pharmaceutical companies are refusing to provide the chemicals used in lethal injections, so many states are saying "fuck it" and using homebrewed concoctions with absolutely horrific results.

So it's really just a question of scale. 81 people in a day seems like a lot, but the U.S. does routinely executive its citizens as a matter of course, and those executions are occasionally proved to have been the result of false convictions. I'm sure the number of actual false convictions is higher than the number that have been proved, as well.

I'm against it of course because, while I do think some offenders are probably best rehabilitated via murder, I do not have any faith in the ability of our legal system to determine who those people are either accurately or fairly.

The US also executes hundreds of 'terrorists' each year, without trial, by drone strike.

6 hours ago, TRon said:

So what was it that made you walk away from football? I know you have probably explained previously, but maybe I missed it.

I find myself thinking about it a lot and re-examining it constantly because football was so much to me for so long and it was a very hard decision.

My first Spurs game was in the Second Division - Spurs v Mansfield. Grew up in North London, trained with Enfield borough’s team in the old ball court under the West Stand, used to walk to home games with my Dad. I’ve been through ups and downs, season ticket holder for years, member for years, all the things. 

I think it dates back to Abramovich tbh. Of course we’d already had Jack Walker, and Chelsea were already doing better thanks to Ken Bates spending money he didn’t have, but a guy coming in and spending the ludicrous money Chelsea were spending changed the game - for me at least. I’d grown up with some ebb and flow in the top flight - sure, Liverpool were super-dominant and the local glory-hunters affected scouse accents but you felt like a team like Villa, or Ipswich, or eventually Newcastle could get a good manager, some breaks, and come through.

I don’t think I fully realized the change at the time because a couple of years later Spurs got Jol in, ditched some old-timers, got in a lot of young players and built from the bottom. It was fun, and felt “right”. Of course, Chelsea saw that and immediately threw money at Frank Arnesen, which was hard to take. Still, there have always been haves and have-nots in football and we kept building up, so although the difference in wage bills between the CL clubs and the rest seemed to be widening I could suck it up.

The 2000s were completely dominated by the top four. Any idea of parity was out of the window. Like Keegan said, the Premier League was in danger of being one of the most boring leagues in the world, and unless you gave a shit about the top four, Barca or Real the CL was going the same way. Then along came Sheikh Mansour.

(sorry going to eat dinner)

33 minutes ago, Khalidao said:

All I know is that the responsible individuals (with their real names and occupations fully revealed) have been convicted and are in jail right now.

Khashoggi's real family has applauded the verdict, traveled to the US and back shortly after that. Why didn't they apply for US asylum? If I had to guess they would've been granted a permenant stay quicker than anyone else.

BBC isn't Saudi, is it? here you go:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45988533

Do you think they have the freedom to speak out against the regime and MBS?

1 hour ago, Miercoles said:

As I understood, those 81 executions belong to sentences of crimes that have been accumulated since 2016, but the the execution was just approved now. It’s not like they execute 81 lives every day or even every year. Even by scale, that is not far from the US. 

8 minutes ago, jack j said:

Just caught the back of neville on skysporrs there. Is he suggesting they redo the ownerships rules and therefore take our ownership away?

Our ownership who they cleared as not being intrinsically linked to the Saudi state?