Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

10 minutes ago, steve_69 said:

The next team sheet will be quite telling. Howe has happened upon our best back 4 by accident (despite us all knowing it all season) and we know for certain that under Bruce, Lascelles would be straight back in and Fede back on the bench. If Howe does that as well it will be a massive let down and a definite black mark in his book

Unless he can get Lascelles back to a respectable performance level, like he had under Rafa. I mean, we've all seen Joelinton and to a lesser extent Shelvey play out of their skin the last few games, so I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I agree for now the first team places should belong to the back five we ended yesterday's game with.

6 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Unless he can get Lascelles back to a respectable performance level, like he had under Rafa. I mean, we've all seen Joelinton and to a lesser extent Shelvey play out of their skin the last few games, so I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I agree for now the first team places should belong to the back five we ended yesterday's game with.

So far the evidence suggests Lascelles is going backwards. Fede on the other hand stepped into a team down to 10 men, having been on the bench all season and looked absolutely top draw. I think a spell on the sidelines could do Lascelles some good. Also, what message does it send to Fede after a performance like that?!

Schar looked to me like he will need a rest for soft tissue issues.

Also, as the aerial threat of Burnley will be more apparent than Norwich’s I would’ve thought a CB pairing Fede and Lasc would be more sensible.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hayden starts instead of Willock. Not an endorsement of Hayden just I think Willock looked very off the pace.

12 hours ago, Mike said:

:lol: The bit where he cupped Miggy's face felt like the end of a movie.

:lol:

I'm still trying to work out if it would be a tragic romance or a horror story. A bit of both probably with a bit of comedy thrown in. 

Darlow and Clarky lost us 4 points and should never play again for us.  Big Joe has taken a big step up and Lewis looked good in Radgies absence.  Fede was big yesterday so I would think he has a team forming in his head.  If he goes back to Darlow and Clark he'll deserve all the abuse thrown at him.

I'd go 442 til new recruits come in.

Dubs

Manq      Fede    Schar   Lewis

ASM      Shelvey   Willock   Miggy

Joe     Wilson

Still a gaping hole in the midfield.

7 minutes ago, toon25 said:

What improvements on the pitch have people seen just out of interest?

I think the shape of the team is ok 

He has to get his XI correct - no way can you play Willock and Shelvey as the double pivot - Hayden has to play in place of one of them 

Fernandez, Manquillo and J Lewis are a must 

i’d actually play 4231 with Murphy in the 3 out wide - possibly Joelinton down the middle 

14 minutes ago, toon25 said:

It's hard to say after 3 games, one of which we played with 10 men,  and another against a far superior team. General fitness levels should probably get a mention, I don't think we could have played 80 mins without losing if Bruce was still in charge. 

11 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

Darlow and Clarky lost us 4 points and should never play again for us.  Big Joe has taken a big step up and Lewis looked good in Radgies absence.  Fede was big yesterday so I would think he has a team forming in his head.  If he goes back to Darlow and Clark he'll deserve all the abuse thrown at him.

I'd go 442 til new recruits come in.

Dubs

Manq      Fede    Schar   Lewis

ASM      Shelvey   Willock   Miggy

Joe     Wilson

Still a gaping hole in the midfield.

I would put joe in a 3 man midfield, with miggy as part of a 3 man attack, which also boosts the pressing in our midfield 

29 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Defensive unity is getting there 

Improved fitness

High pressing 

Committing players forward in numbers 

Shelvey and Joelinton actually playing like Premier League footballers 

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

High pressing 

I think we are still getting there with the pressing and committing players forward, but that's to be expected after 5 years of playing a defensive formation. Was never going to turn around overnight. 

I though Howe spoke really well again after the game. Would have been easy to throw Clark under the bus, but he avoided that without really defending him either. I am all in for Howe, I hope he succeeds here. Seems like a man of principle, and he's not thick which helps. 

31 minutes ago, toon25 said:

We don't look lazy or like they couldn't give a fuck, which from Ashley to Bruce and the Steve's previous "coaching" is a massive difference. If we had Ed at the start of the season we'd be 14th or 15th with our bang average squad.

1 minute ago, The Bonk said:

We don't look lazy or like they couldn't give a fuck, which from Ashley to Bruce and the Steve's previous "coaching" is a massive difference. If we had Ed at the start of the season we'd be 14th or 15th with our bang average squad.

Aye :thup: 

2 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

Keep having to remind myself how the team took time to adapt to Rafa's methods, so trying not to be too critical, but last night's back four should be a massive lesson for him as well as Joelinton bring more suited to the flank.

Will be disappointed if that still isn't apparent next game.

Took about 4 games under Rafa if memory serves. 

Either way he can’t afford many more bedding-in mistakes. 

20 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Improved fitness

High pressing 

Definitely this, although if I was being critical it feels like ASM and Wilson are slightly less effective.

28 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

I'm sure I saw Shelvey sprinting back like his life depended on it in added time. Definitive proof Howe is on to something. 

Shelvey has a weird running style that Ive noticed a couple of times now.

He sort of sets off at a sprint but after a couple of seconds he sort of backs off and coasts.

Be great to see if he can improve further

28 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Shelvey has a weird running style that Ive noticed a couple of times now.

He sort of sets off at a sprint but after a couple of seconds he sort of backs off and coasts.

Be great to see if he can improve further

It's because he literally has no speed.