Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

It's what ifs and things don't work this way, but if we had managed two or three wins during that barren spell under cunt, we'd have been challenging West Ham for Europe.

A summer window with Howe knowing what areas need improvement, a full PROPER pre-season schedule, and owners willing to invest = :megusta:

0 wins after 14

1 win after 20

12 points after 20

He simply must be manager of the season unless Liverpool win the league!

What a job he has done and I hope he’s here for many years!

16 minutes ago, Ste said:

It's what ifs and things don't work this way, but if we had managed two or three wins during that barren spell under cunt, we'd have been challenging West Ham for Europe.

Fine margins in a few games, Southampton at home where we conceded in the 96th minute after taking the lead in the 90th, Watford away who we battered, Chelsea away where we should've got a pen and definitely deserved a point and Man Utd at home who we fully deserved to beat. 7 extra points there, if we had them we'd be on 53 points right now. 3 off West Ham.

16 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Fine margins in a few games, Southampton at home where we conceded in the 96th minute after taking the lead in the 90th, Watford away who we battered, Chelsea away where we should've got a pen and definitely deserved a point and Man Utd at home who we fully deserved to beat. 7 extra points there, if we had them we'd be on 53 points right now. 3 off West Ham.

Carragher said some of “the big clubs” need to be worried about Newcastle next season or words to that effect! 

:tobey:

Next season is going to be one of the most intriguing in recent history. Not only because of the way the World Cup mid season will affect every single Premier League team but also because of the way Howe has changed us in a few months and made us part of that conversation for Europe.

It used to be the Big Four, then it became the Big Six. Next season I reckon there will be 11 clubs who believe they are good enough to qualify for Europe and who will spend accordingly. The usual six plus, West Ham, Wolves, Leicester, Aston Villa and Newcastle.

Its going to be incredibly difficult for Howe next season, every team will be strengthening and every tiny detail will matter. I do have every faith he and the sqaud are capable of it but I won't be pinning all my hopes on us finishing top 6 next season. 

Wolves and Leicester will be having quasi-overhauls in the summer; loads of players at Wolves are leaving and Rodgers earlier in the season admitted a similar sort of thing. Plus Wolves have been poor for a couple months now and Leicester by their recent standards this season have been poor and could well be again given who could be leaving and bedding new players in. West Ham will likely still be up there next season but Villa I'm not too sure about, depends who they sign I guess but I haven't been blown away by them. Brummie could probably tell us more. 

We just have to get our recruitment spot on. If we do, I don't see any reason why 9th-6th can't be achievable. We have momentum and unity akin to the 90s and have been in Champions League form since January 22nd. 

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Wilson not being fouled by the Brighton keeper when clean through gets us another two points closer.

Only 6 points taken from Norwich & Watford is disappointing like. We battered Watford in particular for about 70 minutes in each of the games. Can’t think of many games we won which we didn’t deserve either. Brighton & Leicester games were tight but we were hardly lucky.

18 hours ago, elbee909 said:

I don't think Mourinho would've achieved what Eddie Howe has here.

I agree - I think there was a time I'd have wanted Mourinho.  But not anymore.

On that clip with the journos, I'm so glad he cottoned onto the idea that it would obviously be beneficial to build a good relationship with the local press. Anything brainless Bruce did was rarely a surprise, because he was genuinely the thickest person I've ever seen in our dugout, but fuck he was dim as hell for going to war with the likes of Ryder. It was uncalled for, nonsensical and made no sense and for so many reasons; not least cos he'd have had to do so little to get them on side.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/05/18/eddie-howe-interview-passionate-newcastle-fans-hard-work-avoiding/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1652909541-1

“The best thing about managing Newcastle United is the impact it has on people,” said Howe, in his first in-depth interview with reporters since he replaced Steve Bruce last November.

“When we get a positive result, seeing the impact on matchday and around the city. Every interaction I’ve had with people has been amazing.

“I wouldn’t say it has surprised me, because coming here, I had a vision of what it was going to be like and that has been upheld. I would have wanted this job under the older owner [Mike Ashley] too. It has always been about the club for me, it has always been special.”

“I think I was a good student when I was young,” Howe explained. “I always wanted to please my mum, be a good lad, do well and show that I had a good attitude.

“I always worked hard at everything I did and tried to give my best. I don't think I was necessarily gifted, I wasn't a gifted student, I wasn't a gifted sportsman, really.

“Everything I've achieved has been through a lot of practice, a lot of repetition, so nothing has ever come easy

“I know the processes I've had to go through to get success and I know the sacrifices I've made. I love the process as well, I will say that. I love working and I love the thought of trying to improve myself. If I think there's something that I think will make me better, I'll do it. I'm fully invested in every step, there are no short-cuts to it, you have to do the work.”

“Everyone is so passionate about the football club in this city,” said Howe, who has eaten out just twice in local restaurants since he moved to Newcastle.

“I’m very selective about what I do and where I go. I’m not throwing myself into situations. I use my brain in quite a discreet way as to what I can and can’t do. That’s my personality.

“I love seeing the positive reaction football can bring, but I’m very shy away from football. My personality is introverted. I don’t seek attention. I’ve always been that way. I do keep a low profile - I don’t need adulation in my life. The joy for me comes from coaching and trying to win matches.”

“Saying goodbye, I've always found that very, very difficult,” said Howe. “You know that you're not going to see them for a period of time and I want to be in their lives every day and I want to shape their lives as best I can.

“But I know it's for a short period of time and I know for me, I'm going on to something amazing, I'm managing Newcastle United and it's an incredible experience for me. They love Newcastle as much as anybody, so they know why I'm leaving them.

“My family side of things is Zoom calls in the evening, once they’ve finished school or the various clubs they do. I will make a point of phoning and seeing them visually every day… I’m intently listening to what they say. From their side, it’s one-word answers and they run off.

“I get another one of the boys come on, he gives a one word-answer and then runs off. It’s like a conveyor belt, me trying to keep their attention.

"I miss them greatly. We have made it work and we knew it was only for a short period… This will sound awful if my wife is reading it, but as soon as I've left, and as hard as that is, as soon as I’m out of the gates I’m thinking solely about football again.”

Loads of quotes, worth a read if you want