Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Hilarious knackers on here suggesting we'd be nailed on for a top 4 spot with an injured Shelvey on the bench ?????

I’d also add, he’s no longer injured! He played yesterday. 

Let’s try a different approach. With Bruno suspended and Willock injured, would you rather play Shelvey or Anderson?

58 minutes ago, STM said:

Everything you say is correct apart from one thing.... long term.

By keeping Shelvey (who begged to leave) and playing him, we would have triggered a contract extension. He was a player with no future at the club, on high wages and needed moved on.

If losing Shelveys 100k? wages gives us even more wriggle room for signings in the summer, it was worth the gamble.

Would Shelvey have seen us get top 4? I think it's hard to tell but IMO the owners (Ashworth) aren't going to make decisions based on that point. It wasn't even on the horizon at the start of the season and they won't change their plans and "gamble" on anything.

The process is thought through and they won't budge from it, nor should they. We are only going in one direction, a moment of short term discomfort for long term success is well worth it.

Should’ve kept Shelvey until the summer. If Howe’s any good at management he can explain that the club won’t hold up his dream move to Nott’s Forest in the summer and if they want him desperately we’ll still let him leave for no money even with a year left on his contract. So as far as I can see Shelvey going has nothing to do with FFP or preventing us buying players in the summer because of high wages. 

Also, Shelvey in the team last year had us achieving a points per game return that was top 4 level. It’s no answer to say Anderson is still here when Eddie won’t trust him to play CM at all

5 minutes ago, greydos said:

Should’ve kept Shelvey until the summer. If Howe’s any good at management he can explain that the club won’t hold up his dream move to Nott’s Forest in the summer and if they want him desperately we’ll still let him leave for no money even with a year left on his contract. So as far as I can see Shelvey going has nothing to do with FFP or preventing us buying players in the summer because of high wages. 

Also, Shelvey in the team last year had us achieving a points per game return that was top 4 level. It’s no answer to say Anderson is still here when Eddie won’t trust him to play CM at all

Would Forest have wanted him in the Summer ?

Before the season started our sim was top 10 with an outside chance of sneaking into 7th. As it stands it we have a decent chance at a top 4 finish, and we are highly likely to finish in the top 6. 

There may be decisions that we all disagree with but in the grand scheme of things are we going to over achieve this season? Yes. 

it’s like now, everyone is moaning because we’ve drew 5 from 6. But it was also not long ago we won 6 in a row. If those results were merged and a few of the draws were placed in between the wins I doubt we would see as much moaning, but the points tally would be the same. 

For the record - https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/10/jonjo-shelvey-leaving-newcastle-was-hard-but-i-cant-say-i-regret-it

"“He said he couldn’t let me go at first and then I sort of pleaded with him to let me go,” Shelvey says. “He said he would sleep on it but then he said he would only let me go if they could get one in. I said I needed to leave for a fresh start and put my points across, and the next day he pulled me, we had a little chat and he granted my wish. Eddie said he wouldn’t stand in the way of my happiness.”"

1 minute ago, 80 said:

For the record - https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/10/jonjo-shelvey-leaving-newcastle-was-hard-but-i-cant-say-i-regret-it

"“He said he couldn’t let me go at first and then I sort of pleaded with him to let me go,” Shelvey says. “He said he would sleep on it but then he said he would only let me go if they could get one in. I said I needed to leave for a fresh start and put my points across, and the next day he pulled me, we had a little chat and he granted my wish. Eddie said he wouldn’t stand in the way of my happiness.”"

This is important as well and may be forgotten or glossed over but how the club is perceived within the game, by players, agents, other clubs officials etc is very important in what we are building.

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

How horrendous of us to try and look after our players, and treat them with respect. Will never catch on.

1 hour ago, KingArthur said:

In theory yes. But A) will he be fit B) if he plays and gets automatically new contract for like 80k/wk, that hinders our transfer dealings a bit next summer...

He played for Forrest yesterday and they believe they've signed the bald Pirlo.

Having an experienced Premier League backup CDM on 80k pw for a year seems fine.

We should have kept him, of course that's correct, looking at our CM numbers.

However Eddie decided Shelvey's career and future were more important. I disagree with Eddie on the decision, but admire he's not so cold hearted to keep a player against their wishes.

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

We should have kept him, of course that's correct, looking at our CM numbers.

However Eddie decided Shelvey's career and future were more important. I disagree with Eddie on the decision, but admire he's not so cold hearted to keep a player against their wishes.

I appear suppose that’s where I’m at but we did have a great run with him in the team last season and think he still would have been a good squad player.

12 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I appear suppose that’s where I’m at but we did have a great run with him in the team last season and think he still would have been a good squad player.

Yeah agree, we probably needed to add a CM even without letting Shelvey go, so we are very short in that area.

Others players now have to step up, the team needed a freshen up, slight system tweak anyhoo. The Chance is there now to show that, and as Eddie has shown, you earn the shirt, you keep it.

Edited by Bimpy474

He's an absolute miracle worker.

Moving forward it would be nice to see strength in depth as I don't think a paper thin squad like ours can maintain the levels of intensity Eddie wants us to play over the course of an entire season.

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

I’m criticising Howe, who said that he agreed to let Shelvey go. I think it was an overly-emotional decision from Howe. He should have stood firm, and politely declined the request.

Pretty sure Howe was very reluctant to let him go  and pretty sure he said that himself. Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't his decision?

Just now, Wilson said:

Pretty sure Howe was very reluctant to let him go  and pretty sure he said that himself. Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't his decision?

Wrong again. Howe said he reluctantly agreed because he didn’t want “get in the way of his happiness”, or something similar. 

Stop trying to excuse Howe. He can make mistakes, like literally anybody. I’m really hoping I’m proved wrong but I think this was a mistake he’s been involved in. 

23 minutes ago, andycap said:

Should of introduced young Anderson well before now. Now it looks like he's gonna be thrown in at the deep end. After barely playing any minutes. 

Ideally he would have been away on loan to the championship.  Feel like this season won't be doing his development much good. 

1 minute ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Cheers, but would you mind If I had a different opinion ? 

Not at all, but be prepared to discuss it when challenged. Some of the opinions you’re posting don’t add up, and some of what you’re posting is incorrect (for example saying that Shelvey is injured, which is objectively untrue). 

1 hour ago, madras said:

Would Forest have wanted him in the Summer ?

You’d think there’d be a buyer for him somewhere at the lower end of PL / top end of championship. The point is that we’ve prioritised his wants over our needs, which I think isn’t a sensible move.

Just now, Theregulars said:

You’d think there’d be a buyer for him somewhere at the lower end of PL / top end of championship. The point is that we’ve prioritised his wants over our needs, which I think isn’t a sensible move.

There probably would be a buyer in the summer but unlikely to be on the wages he got offered

Got the sense it was now or never with that deal and all things considered I agree with the decision 

6 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Wrong again. Howe said he reluctantly agreed because he didn’t want “get in the way of his happiness”, or something similar. 

Stop trying to excuse Howe. He can make mistakes, like literally anybody. I’m really hoping I’m proved wrong but I think this was a mistake he’s been involved in. 

Aye, do one :lol:

'wrong again'... condescending arsehole. 

I'm well aware he can make mistakes and isn't above criticism.

As much as people are trying to defend him, you're going the opposite direction to pick faults. 

Edited by Wilson