Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

We should have kept him, of course that's correct, looking at our CM numbers.

However Eddie decided Shelvey's career and future were more important. I disagree with Eddie on the decision, but admire he's not so cold hearted to keep a player against their wishes.

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

We should have kept him, of course that's correct, looking at our CM numbers.

However Eddie decided Shelvey's career and future were more important. I disagree with Eddie on the decision, but admire he's not so cold hearted to keep a player against their wishes.

I appear suppose that’s where I’m at but we did have a great run with him in the team last season and think he still would have been a good squad player.

12 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I appear suppose that’s where I’m at but we did have a great run with him in the team last season and think he still would have been a good squad player.

Yeah agree, we probably needed to add a CM even without letting Shelvey go, so we are very short in that area.

Others players now have to step up, the team needed a freshen up, slight system tweak anyhoo. The Chance is there now to show that, and as Eddie has shown, you earn the shirt, you keep it.

Edited by Bimpy474

He's an absolute miracle worker.

Moving forward it would be nice to see strength in depth as I don't think a paper thin squad like ours can maintain the levels of intensity Eddie wants us to play over the course of an entire season.

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

I’m criticising Howe, who said that he agreed to let Shelvey go. I think it was an overly-emotional decision from Howe. He should have stood firm, and politely declined the request.

Pretty sure Howe was very reluctant to let him go  and pretty sure he said that himself. Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't his decision?

Just now, Wilson said:

Pretty sure Howe was very reluctant to let him go  and pretty sure he said that himself. Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't his decision?

Wrong again. Howe said he reluctantly agreed because he didn’t want “get in the way of his happiness”, or something similar. 

Stop trying to excuse Howe. He can make mistakes, like literally anybody. I’m really hoping I’m proved wrong but I think this was a mistake he’s been involved in. 

23 minutes ago, andycap said:

Should of introduced young Anderson well before now. Now it looks like he's gonna be thrown in at the deep end. After barely playing any minutes. 

Ideally he would have been away on loan to the championship.  Feel like this season won't be doing his development much good. 

1 minute ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Cheers, but would you mind If I had a different opinion ? 

Not at all, but be prepared to discuss it when challenged. Some of the opinions you’re posting don’t add up, and some of what you’re posting is incorrect (for example saying that Shelvey is injured, which is objectively untrue). 

1 hour ago, madras said:

Would Forest have wanted him in the Summer ?

You’d think there’d be a buyer for him somewhere at the lower end of PL / top end of championship. The point is that we’ve prioritised his wants over our needs, which I think isn’t a sensible move.

Just now, Theregulars said:

You’d think there’d be a buyer for him somewhere at the lower end of PL / top end of championship. The point is that we’ve prioritised his wants over our needs, which I think isn’t a sensible move.

There probably would be a buyer in the summer but unlikely to be on the wages he got offered

Got the sense it was now or never with that deal and all things considered I agree with the decision 

6 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Wrong again. Howe said he reluctantly agreed because he didn’t want “get in the way of his happiness”, or something similar. 

Stop trying to excuse Howe. He can make mistakes, like literally anybody. I’m really hoping I’m proved wrong but I think this was a mistake he’s been involved in. 

Aye, do one :lol:

'wrong again'... condescending arsehole. 

I'm well aware he can make mistakes and isn't above criticism.

As much as people are trying to defend him, you're going the opposite direction to pick faults. 

Edited by Wilson

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Maybe not in the short term but I'd guess they are playing a longer game and building tge perception  of the club within the game. Also they may not have wanted him triggering a new contract of which we dont know the terms.

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Man City literally do the exact same thing, and it's served them well.

Sometimes the right thing to do is to treat a player with respect and not get in the way of someone who wanted out for their own future security. Given how much the club seem to focus on unity and being a tight knit family, it's understandable why they made the decision.

1 hour ago, madras said:

Would Forest have wanted him in the Summer ?

A 2 or 3 year contract suggests yes, but I can’t predict the future so who knows. Chances are some premier league team would see value in him though. He’s played in the league consistently since the days before Man City had won a single title. That pedigree would not be without admirers

2 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Aye, do one :lol:

'wrong again'... condescending arsehole. 

I'm well aware he can make mistakes and isn't above criticism.

As much as people are trying to defend him, you're going the opposite direction to pick faults. 

Cool - so, tit for tat, I’ll call you a thick arsehole. 

I’ve said repeatedly over the last few pages that he has been brilliant and this is the first mistake I’ve detected. I don’t think it’s picking faults: our squad is too thin to sustain what we’re doing, so selling an established member of it without replacement makes the squad yet thinner. I’m not sure how that’s picking faults - if anything it’s staying the fucking obvious. 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Sometimes the right thing to do is to treat a player with respect and not get in the way of someone who wanted out for their own future security. Given how much the club seem to focus on unity and being a tight knit family, it's understandable why they made the decision.

These are good counters. It comes down to what you want to prioritise, in my view. I think the priority for me is results, but that’s my opinion. I think they’ve been caught between a “nice to do” and a “harsh but sensible”, and they went with “nice to do”. 

Our owners clearly see this as a long term sustainable project. We should also treat it the same. I would love for us to get Champions League football well ahead of any reasonable timeline anyone put on it at the end of the season. It would allow us to potentially attract a level of player that would never dream of coming to Newcastle otherwise. But as the team/bench showed us yesterday we are ill prepared to sustain league, 2 X domestic cups and a european adventure next season. Major surgery on the squad is required and that scares the shit out of me. I hope the people in charge of this including Eddie can get it right.

Allowing Shelvey to leave wasn't the best decision for the club but it was the right thing to do. Akin to the way we let Gavin Peacock leave all those years ago. If we "fail" to get top four I'll be disappointed, of course but it's just the start for this magnificent club

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Cool - so, tit for tat, I’ll call you a thick arsehole. 

I’ve said repeatedly over the last few pages that he has been brilliant and this is the first mistake I’ve detected. I don’t think it’s picking faults: our squad is too thin to sustain what we’re doing, so selling an established member of it without replacement makes the squad yet thinner. I’m not sure how that’s picking faults - if anything it’s staying the fucking obvious. 

You said it’s his first mistake. He wanted him to stay, how’s it his mistake that the club sold him?

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Sure, but their squad is deep. They’ve 2 class players for every position, whatever system they want to roll with. With Shelvey I think we had 14/15. Look at the bench yesterday - the only viable option to change a game for the better was Gordon. Murphy gets minutes every game and is largely derided on this forum as not good enough. I share that view.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

You said it’s his first mistake. He wanted him to stay, how’s it his mistake that the club sold him?

Christ on a bicycle. Read the story: Howe said no at first and then the next day agreed. He has publicly said it’s a gamble but he agreed to allow it considering all the circumstances. Howe has clearly been a deciding factor in that move happening. 

3 minutes ago, Nepharite said:

Our owners clearly see this as a long term sustainable project. We should also treat it the same. I would love for us to get Champions League football well ahead of any reasonable timeline anyone put on it at the end of the season. It would allow us to potentially attract a level of player that would never dream of coming to Newcastle otherwise. But as the team/bench showed us yesterday we are ill prepared to sustain league, 2 X domestic cups and a european adventure next season. Major surgery on the squad is required and that scares the shit out of me. I hope the people in charge of this including Eddie can get it right.

Allowing Shelvey to leave wasn't the best decision for the club but it was the right thing to do. Akin to the way we let Gavin Peacock leave all those years ago. If we "fail" to get top four I'll be disappointed, of course but it's just the start for this magnificent club

Good post, I agree with it. 

Shelvey would have been expendable in the summer once replaced. I understand why it makes some sense to dispense now when the offer is there and he indicates he’s interested, but to me it makes more sense to protect the club’s interests in the first instance.