Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

9 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

Still astonished that the job he's done doesn't attract more praise in the press.  I get it - sportswashing etc.  But it is truly astonishing.  It was a miracle we stayed up when he took over.  To then follow that up the next season with a cup final and potentially a top 4 place is staggering.

I don’t want to be that guy, but this has been especially noticeable on the Totally Football podcast. Whenever our game gets coverage it tends to centre on the failings of the opposition, and there was some posh public school cunt on the other day (they must have a conveyer belt churning out these people that waste daddy’s money and their privileged education on writing and talking about a game) who made two unprompted digs at Howe, talking about finding it amusing when arsenal cheated their way to a win the other week. 

Now, the house style of the podcast is to be somewhat sardonic but I am not imagining that we are the only team that gets their journalists explicitly saying that they want us to lose games. Something about Millwall smashing Blackburn’s coaches? Better mention the rest of their fans who are great. Man Utd fans campaigning for a ‘full sale’? Somewhat understandable. Racism, financial cheating, managers screaming into the faces of fourth officials, all of these topics get a measure of balance and nuance. Newcastle’s gamesmanship? Objectively bad. 

The only time Man City’s ownership is mentioned is either alongside ours, or ours are added to the conversation in a general lament for a game that had been going just fine until October 2021. And besides which they never really delve into the ownership too deeply because only one party in the equation actually takes money from sportswashing and it’s not the fans who are paying to watch games.

We do occasionally get Natalie Gedra saying nice things about our Brazilian players, with her lovely voice and face, but there has otherwise been pretty much zero credit to either our manager or any of our players. Entire game weekends, with us winning by three, four or five, go by with barely a mention. Brentford gifted us, Fulham were down to ten and what on earth were Spurs thinking? 

It’s all good, though. It was a similar story when we went down in 2009- when the nation’s hatred for us felt at times bizarre and at other times rooted in a very specific geographical agenda. So now we know what it’s like to be shit and hated and mint and hated. And I know which one I prefer. 

1 hour ago, jackyboy said:

I love the way Eddie never tries to take any credit for himself 

True leader. Always credits the people working under him, and never makes it about himself.

BBC reporter after asking questions about Champions League (and Eddie refusing to bite twice).

"How close do you need to be Eddie before we get you to talk about it (CL)?"

"When it's done, then I'll talk about it for fun".

What a lad.

So just reading the last few pages on here and some of the stats this bloke is producing is outrageous! 

* Currently have a better goal difference (+35) then any other season we finished in a 38 game Premier league season (+33 in 96/97)

* Scored 4 or more in eight League games so far which is equal to how many we've had in the previous 10 years of top flight football :lol:

* Already beaten points total under Dalglish and have equalled Bobby Robson's best points finish and we still have 2 games to go

* We will finish the season with our lowest amount of defeats in our 131 year history in a full top flight season. 

All this in his first full season in charge :howe:

Edited by Pokerprince2004

I know I’m biased but I can’t see how anyone can dislike Howe and the way he comes across. I think he’s spot on in his interviews and is so interesting to listen to. He is always professional and respectful, if an opposing fan said they hated him I would genuinely be surprised, I can understand why they would hate Bruno for example but with Eddie I just can’t see a reason to dislike him 

Am I being harsh or is that Kev Lawson the most pointless 'stats god' out there? I really like the attempts from Sanjay, he seems to put a bit of effort in, but everytime I see a tweet from KL it's the most pointless shit ever. Like a single wheel chart comparing 2 players which shows essentially nothing, or in this case, annotated 'analysis' explaining that Botman made a dummy run during a set-piece. Fucking cheers mate.

A shame as he seems to have access to good data.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

8 hours ago, Hovagod said:

I don’t want to be that guy, but this has been especially noticeable on the Totally Football podcast. Whenever our game gets coverage it tends to centre on the failings of the opposition, and there was some posh public school cunt on the other day (they must have a conveyer belt churning out these people that waste daddy’s money and their privileged education on writing and talking about a game) who made two unprompted digs at Howe, talking about finding it amusing when arsenal cheated their way to a win the other week. 

Now, the house style of the podcast is to be somewhat sardonic but I am not imagining that we are the only team that gets their journalists explicitly saying that they want us to lose games. Something about Millwall smashing Blackburn’s coaches? Better mention the rest of their fans who are great. Man Utd fans campaigning for a ‘full sale’? Somewhat understandable. Racism, financial cheating, managers screaming into the faces of fourth officials, all of these topics get a measure of balance and nuance. Newcastle’s gamesmanship? Objectively bad. 

The only time Man City’s ownership is mentioned is either alongside ours, or ours are added to the conversation in a general lament for a game that had been going just fine until October 2021. And besides which they never really delve into the ownership too deeply because only one party in the equation actually takes money from sportswashing and it’s not the fans who are paying to watch games.

We do occasionally get Natalie Gedra saying nice things about our Brazilian players, with her lovely voice and face, but there has otherwise been pretty much zero credit to either our manager or any of our players. Entire game weekends, with us winning by three, four or five, go by with barely a mention. Brentford gifted us, Fulham were down to ten and what on earth were Spurs thinking? 

It’s all good, though. It was a similar story when we went down in 2009- when the nation’s hatred for us felt at times bizarre and at other times rooted in a very specific geographical agenda. So now we know what it’s like to be shit and hated and mint and hated. And I know which one I prefer. 

Great post.  And the highlighted bit is also a pet hatred of mine - ten grand a year to become a fucking sports hack.  If they really are that fucking useless, they should be paid no heed whatsoever.  

6 minutes ago, Tisd09 said:

I know I’m biased but I can’t see how anyone can dislike Howe and the way he comes across. I think he’s spot on in his interviews and is so interesting to listen to. He is always professional and respectful, if an opposing fan said they hated him I would genuinely be surprised, I can understand why they would hate Bruno for example but with Eddie I just can’t see a reason to dislike him 

A lot of people resent competence. It's often said he's smug but he's not, he just has his shit together, and that makes people seethe.

As much as I don't really give a shit about non-NUFC fans' shit opinions, there's something extremely satisfying about him doing this in his first full season with pretty standard expenditure.

As a Southerner, I naturally come across enough 'bought survival/Europe' dickheads and it's so delightfully easy to laugh that lazy bollocks off with a simple stat or two.

And it's all thanks to this beautiful man.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

A lot of people resent competence. It's often said he's smug but he's not, he just has his shit together, and that makes people seethe.

Brewcy and his son must sit there watching his conference with a couple of cans, seething, whilst mrs brewcy carves up the donner for their tea.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

Brewcy and his son must sit there watching his conference with a couple of cans, seething, whilst mrs brewcy carves up the donner for their tea.

I often imagine him sitting there, farting away, thinking "if they'd played like that for me I could've done that easily too". Yeah, 'if', you fucking dick.