Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Fucking love Howe man. Amazing job and a great bloke to boot. 

If we do take a backward step next season, as we challenge on four fronts, with a guaranteed extra 6 games to boot (minimum), we have to back him and the process. He’s earned it 1000x over. 

I do have a big fear that if we were to finish say 6th or below, PIF may well get restless and look for a ‘bigger’ name to charge back for the Champions League. Seeing as we’re already probably around 3 years ahead of schedule - it may take a little time for us to really consolidate ourselves regularly into the Top 4. Just look at Arsenal, it’s taken them 6-7 years to get back into the top 4. Liverpool now likely to miss out too. It can happen. And I’m sure the Big 6 will be gunning for us next season.

FYI that is something I have been told previously and it is the only thing that worries me about PIF having a majority say on certain footballing matters.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm not sure who else has done this, but

Jamie Carragher

James Lawrence Allcott

have Eddie Howe as their manager of the season

I found this utterly hilarious to be honest, obviously the only person not rating Howe (Doesn't even have him in his top 5 fyi) is a Sunderland fan :lol: 

He also only mentioned Trippier in his TOTS, which is laughable on its own :lol: 

5 minutes ago, 54 said:

I found this utterly hilarious to be honest, obviously the only person not rating Howe (Doesn't even have him in his top 5 fyi) is a Sunderland fan :lol: 

He also only mentioned Trippier in his TOTS, which is laughable on its own :lol: 

The higher stakes his claims are the funnier it is like. Wouldn't put him in the top 5 managers of the season :lol: but you can absolutely see on his face how clearly out of spite it is. 

Finally got round to watching minus 17.

The owner that offered Eddie the job full time after losing his first 2 games as caretaker manager because he could see there was more to Eddie that those final scores. Monumental decision and wow didn't it pay off. 

3 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

The owner that offered Eddie the job full time after losing his first 2 games as caretaker manager because he could see there was more to Eddie that those final scores. Monumental decision and wow didn't it pay off. 

It’s amazing isn’t it. He’s our manager now. Should be compulsory watching for all our fans, to get an idea of what this man is about. We are going places with him, I have no doubt :indi:

10 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

going to watch that, cheers!

it's on YouTube if anyone is interested:

4 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Fucking love Howe man. Amazing job and a great bloke to boot. 

If we do take a backward step next season, as we challenge on four fronts, with a guaranteed extra 6 games to boot (minimum), we have to back him and the process. He’s earned it 1000x over. 

I do have a big fear that if we were to finish say 6th or below, PIF may well get restless and look for a ‘bigger’ name to charge back for the Champions League. Seeing as we’re already probably around 3 years ahead of schedule - it may take a little time for us to really consolidate ourselves regularly into the Top 4. Just look at Arsenal, it’s taken them 6-7 years to get back into the top 4. Liverpool now likely to miss out too. It can happen. And I’m sure the Big 6 will be gunning for us next season.

FYI that is something I have been told previously and it is the only thing that worries me about PIF having a majority say on certain footballing matters.

I am definitely worried about how some supporters (and also PIF) will respond to inevitable downturns. Saw a Facebook comment on the NUFC CL post saying how this summer's priority should be Bellingham, Kane, and Rice. Expectations are going to go through the roof.

Just had a look and it's actually a bit eerie how similar Eddie's first 18 months are to SAF at Man United.

• Took over a team near the bottom of the table in November 
  • Ended up finishing 11th
  • Added a few new players (including Bruce) and they surprisingly finished 2nd in the league
    • They were never really in the title race, primarily due to too many draws

What happened next?

• A big signing (Mark Hughes) and big expectations, but they regressed to 11th
  • In the third full season a number of big signings, but they struggled and discontent was rising. It would have been a popular decision for many halfway through that third full season if he had been sacked. But then they went on a run and won the FA Cup. 
  • There were still doubts the next season when they finished sixth, but then they won the Cup Winners Cup. 
  • They lost out on the title the next year but won the League Cup and European Super Cup. 
  • They won the league title in 1992/93, Ferguson's seventh in charge.

I'm not sure a manager in the modern game would have survived the third or fourth year. There's only been five managers in the history of NUFC who have managed 200+ games and two of them were almost a century ago. There's no point in stability for stabilities sake, but with the right person in charge it can be a huge advantage compared to clubs that are constantly chopping and changing. We have a manager who will not be outworked by anyone in the league, who is not afraid to learn and evolve, and who I don't think views us as a stepping stone to anything bigger. I hope he is rewarded with patience when the time comes and I hope he's here for a very long time.

2 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

I am definitely worried about how some supporters (and also PIF) will respond to inevitable downturns. Saw a Facebook comment on the NUFC CL post saying how this summer's priority should be Bellingham, Kane, and Rice. Expectations are going to go through the roof.

Just had a look and it's actually a bit eerie how similar Eddie's first 18 months are to SAF at Man United.

• Took over a team near the bottom of the table in November 
  • Ended up finishing 11th
  • Added a few new players (including Bruce) and they surprisingly finished 2nd in the league
    • They were never really in the title race, primarily due to too many draws

What happened next?

• A big signing (Mark Hughes) and big expectations, but they regressed to 11th
  • In the third full season a number of big signings, but they struggled and discontent was rising. It would have been a popular decision for many halfway through that third full season if he had been sacked. But then they went on a run and won the FA Cup. 
  • There were still doubts the next season when they finished sixth, but then they won the Cup Winners Cup. 
  • They lost out on the title the next year but won the League Cup and European Super Cup. 
  • They won the league title in 1992/93, Ferguson's seventh in charge.

I'm not sure a manager in the modern game would have survived the third or fourth year. There's only been five managers in the history of NUFC who have managed 200+ games and two of them were almost a century ago. There's no point in stability for stabilities sake, but with the right person in charge it can be a huge advantage compared to clubs that are constantly chopping and changing. We have a manager who will not be outworked by anyone in the league, who is not afraid to learn and evolve, and who I don't think views us as a stepping stone to anything bigger. I hope he is rewarded with patience when the time comes and I hope he's here for a very long time.

Good post. The board would be daft not to tie themselves to his mast for at least the next two full seasons. The good news is I'm expecting them to do that. I don't think they're anywhere near as reactionary as some fear.

Incidentally, it's likely any major managerial thoughts would go through Dan Ashworth anyhow. It's not just a case of someone having a bright idea in Jeddah unless they want to totally rip up the structure they've spent so much time and money instituting.

Didn't know which thread to put this in and am aware that there's still 1 game of the season left, but out of boredom and the consumption NUFC content all day I've made a YouTube playlist with the highlights from every game we've played this season plus a little few interviews and news snippets dotted throughout. A season review lite, let's say. Hope I haven't forgotten something or gotten games in the wrong order. Have a watch if you fancy.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKTgmPJceX_EGbApgdkZ0dNpVi-Xm-LGv

5 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Interesting vid of the tactical switch after the league cup that resulted in us conceding more but getting better results

He’s been great since he moved there.

3 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

Brilliant breakdown of our tactical approach this season under Howe. 

I can totally see why he bought Gordon now watching that, a bit of a slow start for him but he'll have a big part to play next season. I think we might look at a few Brighton players as well now.

31 minutes ago, Ben said:

I can totally see why he bought Gordon now watching that, a bit of a slow start for him but he'll have a big part to play next season. I think we might look at a few Brighton players as well now.

It was obvious Gordon was bought for the future, to fit the plan, but having the system broken down so well like that, it makes perfect sense and gives me more faith in him long term being the replacement for Almiron