Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I'm not sure exactly when the voting took place, but a problem with these awards is that it doesn't take place at the end of the season. I suspect that if the vote had happened after our CL qualification was affirmed, Eddie would have stood a better chance.

It should go to the manager that has over achieved the most , that’s Eddie this season no doubt about it . Pep hasn’t really over achieved at all, just done what was expected of him really .

Man City weren't even that impressive in the PL overall, by their recent historical standards. Seems like them wanting to recognise 3 titles in a row with this award. It should be an award based on achievements versus how relatively hard the job was, with some additional focus on style and performances. In which case, Howe wins by a landslide. 

41 minutes ago, Si said:

Also people getting indignant at the resources that Pep has and the unfairness of that should remember that in a few seasons.

Personally, I'm not bothered about the expenditure specifically. It's the strong suspicion that the club has gained an advantage by ignoring financial rules that every other club has had to abide by.

51 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Man City weren't even that impressive in the PL overall, by their recent historical standards. Seems like them wanting to recognise 3 titles in a row with this award. It should be an award based on achievements versus how relatively hard the job was, with some additional focus on style and performances. In which case, Howe wins by a landslide. 

3 titles in a row is pretty impressive though.

15 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

I'd definitely have him favourite for the manager of the last 3 seasons award then. 

This is exactly it. "Giggs" has its own meaning on here but really it should mean gatecrashing an award you have no right to be given if applying its normal and intended parameters. Guardiola has done a Giggs - it's not an egregious Giggs, it's a mild Giggs, but it's still a Giggs. Giggs. 

Edited by Interpolic

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Obviously I wanted Howe to win, but saying Pep doesn't deserve it after the season he's had is crackers 

Well he doesn't though. He only won the title because Arsenal bottled it and that's after having added the world's best striker to the team that won the league last year.

11 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Its not even a great Man City league team either, 89 points isn't great for Pep in the league which shows how good he is. He has won it because everyone expects them to win the treble.

I'm guessing if they'd needed to, and they didn't have two finals upcoming, they'd have beaten Brighton and Brentford with first-choice teams and ended on 94. 

I disagree this City team not being their best actually, yes the points total is not as dominating as earlier ones (and the one that beat Liverpool by a point with ridiculous total probably has to be the benchmark) but I think if it wins the treble it has to be classified as the best he's done. Equally maybe it has more dips in quality, that demolishing of Real Madrid may be the best Man City performance I've ever watched. It was just complete, and felt similar to when Pep's Barca did the same to Real Madrid and you thought oh bloody hell this is just unplayable

Edited by Tiresias

Howe, Di Zerbi and Emery deserve it ahead of Pep in the league like. As mentioned ad infinitum the award is completely pointless if you just give it to the best team in the league's manager without them doing something out of the ordinary. 

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Eddie truly deserved manager of the Season,

But we where screwed over By the Slipery6 and corrupt FA.

Man City have breached FFP for over a decade & STILL nothing has been done about it.

Things never change.

Edited by prefabtoon

The best argument I can find for Pep is that he managed to win the PL at a canter while prioritising another competition. The way he has managed his squad has been incredible, although obviously that squad is packed full of world-class footballers. 

And the voting was held mainly before we had confirmed CL, like someone said above. Which is stupid in itself. 

Then again, Pep hasn't won the FA Cup or Champions League yet either (even though he obviously will). 

Pep has actually won two awards here - LMA Manager of the Year and also Premier League Manager of the Year. 

It's not unreasonable he's won the LMA award with the expectation (but no guarantee) that the treble is on the cards, he's made the finals at the very least. I don't know/care if the LMA award is voted for by fellow managers so perhaps that's taken into consideration. 

The Premier League award has to go to Eddie - has to. I'm not going to repeat the mass of evidence that we've all put together but even objectively, even to the Brains Trust that hand out that multicoloured monstrosity, in the Premier League there has been no other manager that has performed better than Eddie Howe over the last year. 

As petty a man as I am, I couldn't help but be tickled that BT Sport referred to devout Catalan nationalist Pep Guardiola as a Spaniard. I hope it annoys him. 

Eddie doesn't seem one for personal awards anyway so I hope he's alright knowing he has our unwavering love, support and admiration to fall back on and our city is his. 

I don't begrudge Pep winning it as he is fantastic and they have a very reasonable chance of doing the treble, but it does seem rather odd that Pardew won it in 2012 when our turnaround under Howe has been much more impressive?

It seems to be given for performance in everything, given Klopp won it last year for finishing second but a chance at a quadruple. Also odd given Liverpool ended up with FA & League Cup and Man City still could (albeit unlikely) end with only the league.

I say only with a pinch of salt, but we are at the stage where it's more or less expected for Man City to win the league.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I say only with a pinch of salt, but we are at the stage where it's more or less expected for Man City to win the league.

Guess the question there is are they expected to win the league because Pep is such a brilliant manager. If so it shouldn't really count against him in this award. 

If you said at the start of the season Man City will win the league and get to the CL and FA cup finals, no one would bat an eyelid because it’s seen as standard. It’s a lazy choice. These awards don’t matter though, I doubt Guardiola and Eddie care if they win or lose it.

Edited by Kimbo