Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I think the challenge is going to be a lot more teams are going to drop deep against us this season. The majority of the time I think the starting 11 will stay 4-3-3 as before, but now he has more options accross forward line (and maybe more to come) so that may get varied. I do think we are going to see Isak more than Wilson, I don't think Isak will return to being shunted out wide, but if Wilson keeps up his form who knows, the competition seems to bring out the best in both of them. 

Against teams that will sit deep I wonder if Howe will ever feel he can give up the security of a 3 man midfield and play isak and wilson together or something? Will be interesting. 

15 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I think the challenge is going to be a lot more teams are going to drop deep against us this season. The majority of the time I think the starting 11 will stay 4-3-3 as before, but now he has more options accross forward line (and maybe more to come) so that may get varied. I do think we are going to see Isak more than Wilson, I don't think Isak will return to being shunted out wide, but if Wilson keeps up his form who knows, the competition seems to bring out the best in both of them. 

Against teams that will sit deep I wonder if Howe will ever feel he can give up the security of a 3 man midfield and play isak and wilson together or something? Will be interesting. 

With Tonali and Bruno that's more than possible.

9 hours ago, Tiresias said:

You’re talking different options - can you believe it? I feel we will have to play either isak or Wilson most games as we only have 2 strikers and a shit load of games now we’re in the crème de la monfe of competitions as well.

On 21/07/2023 at 11:32, Tiresias said:

We haven’t catered for that at all in the transfer market imo. 

I agree the move then is Isak behind Wilson in a 4231 type thing. If one of them is injured, perhaps Gordon combines with the other but if it’s Isak out you lose a lot of guile. 

I personally think the team lacks guile. We’re like a pure sledgehammer.  The best teams have more locksmiths. 

28 minutes ago, Robbo2 said:

Ryder appearance about 3/4 of the way through, can barely string a sentence together [emoji38]

He often just makes a statement without offering a question. They then have to work out what they think he actually meant to ask. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

We haven’t catered for that at all in the transfer market imo. 

I agree the move then is Isak behind Wilson in a 4231 type thing. If one of them is injured, perhaps Gordon combines with the other but if it’s Isak out you lose a lot of guile. 

I personally think the team lacks guile. We’re like a pure sledgehammer.  The best teams have more locksmiths. 

The pace we play at, plus our ability to win the ball high up the pitch means we have less need for guile compared to some other. 

Hopefully we strengthen all the areas needed so we can show it. 

44 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The pace we play at, plus our ability to win the ball high up the pitch means we have less need for guile compared to some other. 

Hopefully we strengthen all the areas needed so we can show it. 

Yes I understand the idea. But it’s still the same tool for every problem.  

I agree would love a technical playmaker for that but there is something to be said for knowing what you are good at and focusing on that, it's all very well signing such a player and expecting the whole team to be able to switch to a more possession style game for particular matches it won't happen. 

I saw a piece on how Howe did adapt the height of the press based on opposition, so to not press so high on teams he wanted to draw out before hitting in transition. The other thing though, when you look at how Guardiola used to do it with City before Haaland is stretch teams horizontally as much as possible with overloads, keeping wingers wide (Sterling used to do this why he seemed to assist loads with cut backs) creates space for players like Isak to run into.

7 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I agree would love a technical playmaker for that but there is something to be said for knowing what you are good at and focusing on that, it's all very well signing such a player and expecting the whole team to be able to switch to a more possession style game for particular matches it won't happen. 

I saw a piece on how Howe did adapt the height of the press based on opposition, so to not press so high on teams he wanted to draw out before hitting in transition. The other thing though, when you look at how Guardiola used to do it with City before Haaland is stretch teams horizontally as much as possible with overloads, keeping wingers wide (Sterling used to do this why he seemed to assist loads with cut backs) creates space for players like Isak to run into.

I think we could have a more technical playmaking wide option (like that Szob lad) or 8 option (like Barella) without changing the team style. Much like we’ve incorporated Bruno and Isak.  

Peps had his wide players super wide for some time now. And he’s leaned into the dribbly dribbly types (Grealish, Mahrez) rather than those looking to run in behind and get close to the penalty box all the time - which is what we look to do with our inside forwards. 

I agree that Howe has tinkered the approach. He’s optimising the dominant approach.  

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, Robbo2 said:

Ryder appearance about 3/4 of the way through, can barely string a sentence together [emoji38]

Guy is a fucking fraud :lol:

Anyone ever listen to his podcasts he sometimes puts on the chronicle. Heavy breathing, talks absolute waffle and sounds uninterested. They never go more than 10 minutes anarl 

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Steve Bruce now claiming he recommended Eddie Howe to the new owners, along with Gerrard ...

He’s been claiming he put the idea of eddie forward for a while. Probably thinks he’s responsible for champs league qualification 

Just now, FLUMPO235 said:

He’s been claiming he put the idea of eddie forward for a while. Probably thinks he’s responsible for champs league qualification 

The guy has serious issues.