Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 hours ago, Upthemags said:

The personnel Howe subbed on with 30 minutes to go instantly changed the momentum of the game. Those personnel were available to start. That's on Howe, and no one else.

Thats part of the reason for having them on the bench. To instantly come on and change the game. If we'd needed Murphy and Longstaff to come on and change the game we'd be pissing up a rope.

The problem is that some of the players that started aren't good enough.But because of it being a squad game, until they're replaced by better, they have to get minutes

4 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Thats part of the reason for having them on the bench. To instantly come on and change the game. If we'd needed Murphy and Longstaff to come on and change the game we'd be pissing up a rope.

The problem is that some of the players that started aren't good enough.But because of it being a squad game, until they're replaced by better, they have to get minutes

Could also argue we'd have been winning by the time the shit subs would be coming on.

Don't think it's just the subs that changed the game. It's natural that the leading team drops down a bit deeper and are conceding possession more easily instead of taking risks. Amazing to have some serious options on the bench though after the struggles of last season.

5 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Any manager would still have to play the players Howe has to play. That's our biggest problem by far. 

Don't think anybody can move us forward until we see the back of regularly using some of the names we all know

I’d love to see Pep trying to manage Miggy and Longstaff :iamatwat:

Luke Edwards asking Howe the questions everyone wants to know:

"If you had to pick one, Blur or Oasis?" 

:lol: 

Caught the end of the live prematch presser and Eddie signed off with a sharp ‘That was intense’ (not there on available recorded version). Don’t think he’s enjoying the focus of the questions recently.
Quite incredible how much fishing there was re Tonali’s ‘issues’ for example. Louise Taylor, in particular, is making herself very unpopular. 

On 25/08/2024 at 16:55, OpenC said:

I suppose it comes down to aspirations and expectation. To a degree I can understand it; whenever I heard Klopp or Pep trotting out the No Easy Games line I always felt like they were really just saying it out of a sense of humility more than anything else, because it was the right thing to say.  They would never go to Bournemouth, however tough a game, and be truly satisfied with a battling point on the road. When I hear anybody from Newcastle say it, it still feels like a way to excuse a crappy performance :lol: 

We're a long way from city and libpewl and I've never felt so distant from this club as I do now, so I agree that it's a tough league with few obvious weak links - I see 'no easy games' as a realistic appraisal, but I suppose for a fair few expectations have been raised these last two sessions.

You’ve never felt as distant from the club as you do now?! 

Or did I misunderstand. 

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You’ve never felt as distant from the club as you do now?! 

Or did I misunderstand. 

No, you didn't misunderstand :) the ownership thing; the difficulty getting to the game; the flat atmospheres and moaning fans in the concourses when you do; the megastar dramas.  It's not all down to Newcastle though; the league we play in and the VAR and randomly applied financial nonsense that's slowly killing it aren't of Newcastle's doing but they take the edge off it further.  Modern top level football is just a more difficult thing for me to really enjoy.

It's good to see them doing better than they have for two decades, of course, but honestly I feel next to nowt for them these days, no real attachment at all.  It's mostly my discovery of non-league that's really done it, in all probability - just feels like a more honest and more sporting competition.

Edited by OpenC

He seemed very relaxed, laughing and joking a lot. Looks like it will be 1 in max if we’re taking him for his word.

Looked genuinely pissed off at Taylor though for asking a bullshit question. Get the impression he can’t stand her, hardly surprising. 

24 minutes ago, OpenC said:

No, you didn't misunderstand :) the ownership thing; the difficulty getting to the game; the flat atmospheres and moaning fans in the concourses when you do; the megastar dramas.  It's not all down to Newcastle though; the league we play in and the VAR and randomly applied financial nonsense that's slowly killing it aren't of Newcastle's doing but they take the edge off it further.  Modern top level football is just a more difficult thing for me to really enjoy.

It's good to see them doing better than they have for two decades, of course, but honestly I feel next to nowt for them these days, no real attachment at all.  It's mostly my discovery of non-league that's really done it, in all probability - just feels like a more honest and more sporting competition.

Ah OK, makes more sense with an explanation but it's still going some to beat the 15 years under Ashley. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Ah OK, makes more sense with an explanation but it's still going some to beat the 15 years under Ashley. 

i'm fucking loving it at the moment.

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

i'm fucking loving it at the moment.

Me too but I understand the ownership and ticket concerns. If I wasn't such a sucker for refreshing the website for tickets I might have distracted myself too. Not like under Ashley but for different reasons. 

As I said yesterday, everything I’ve heard from behind the scenes suggest that Eddie and Mitchell’s relationship is good… it’s good to hear Eddie publicly saying that today, and saying that the backing from above has been good.

I love Eddie and back him to the hilt.

However, I feel this season we will have to evolve. 

Our high energy, high press tactics worked great in 22/23. But we fell off a cliff last season when half the squad broke down and too many games, sapped the live out of the rest. 

Now, it feels like most of the league are adopting a similar high press tactic but with better quality squads.

I fear we have become quite predictable now, with teams also likely to target our inability to play out from the back with people like Pope and Burn's limitations on the ball. 

Without the momentum of new signings, we may need to be more flexible in style and formation this season to achieve success. Unless Tonali somehow really transforms the team on his return.

Just now, alexf said:

I love Eddie and back him to the hilt.

However, I feel this season we will have to evolve. 

Our high energy, high press tactics worked great in 22/23. But we fell off a cliff last season when half the squad broke down and too many games, sapped the live out of the rest. 

Now, it feels like most of the league are adopting a similar high press tactic but with better quality squads.

I think the problem is that we've stopped doing it tbh. The intense high press was non existent in a lot of games last season (put down to injuries), and has been pretty much non-existent this season too. We aren't very good at developing play from the back, so without the turnovers we struggle. 

53 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think the problem is that we've stopped doing it tbh. The intense high press was non existent in a lot of games last season (put down to injuries), and has been pretty much non-existent this season too. We aren't very good at developing play from the back, so without the turnovers we struggle. 

I'm begging Tonali can help us play in different ways or at least help with the bold as it looks like atm we're trying to play a way we just can't do. We could've signed players (mainly last summer) to aid us doing that but didn't. 

I feel like we will look much better without Murphy on the right.  I love the guy, but we lose fluidity with him and the ability to retain possession. 

Also, still too early to draw too many conclusions given (a) the madness of matchweek 1, and (b) a challenging early-season away fixture with two make-shift center backs. 

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

It’s bizarre to expect Howe to somehow address this though. 

6 minutes ago, Bellars said:

I feel like we will look much better without Murphy on the right.  I love the guy, but we lose fluidity with him and the ability to retain possession. 

Also, still too early to draw too many conclusions given (a) the madness of matchweek 1, and (b) a challenging early-season away fixture with two make-shift center backs. 

Yeah, Miggy might never go past a player but he's good at retaining possession.

I also don't really get the general hysteria, 4 points from 6 isn't bad when one game was mostly played with 10 and Bournemouth has been a tough place for us. I've only read the match thread until HT but we had a decent first 15 minutes and a decent last 30 against Bournemouth, it's not like we were hammered all match.

10 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

It’s bizarre to expect Howe to somehow address this though. 

I don't, I was responding to Ian's question about why I felt distant from the club :)

Edited by OpenC