Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, LionOfGosforth said:

Not sure anybody said that in here like? I'm of the opinion it can't get much worse performance-wise and yet we're unbeaten. Plus Sandro is back and looked good and Barnes had a nice cameo in a problem position, so don't really see the need for borderline suicidal-gloom, maybe it's just me though. The whole "club has been a shambles" patter is getting old.

All I have seen so far is us having a mountain of good fortune in all three games. I’m aware that stuff going on behind the scenes has obviously unsettled everyone at the club, but this luck will run out soon if things don’t improve.

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Not sure anybody said that in here like? I'm of the opinion it can't get much worse performance-wise and yet we're unbeaten. Plus Sandro is back and looked good and Barnes had a nice cameo in a problem position, so don't really see the need for borderline suicidal-gloom, maybe it's just me though. The whole "club has been a shambles" patter is getting old.

I’m vey happy to say that things are very much ok and it could be much worse performance-wise.

I've said this before but having Schar and Botman (and Guehi hopefully) will make a huge difference to us. Ball playing centre backs who can bring the ball out and pick a quality pass makes such a difference. Burn and Krafth just can't and won't do it. They tend to go sideways or just want rid of it upfield to anywhere. Really affects our game.

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

All I have seen so far is us having a mountain of good fortune in all three games. I’m aware that stuff going on behind the scenes has obviously unsettled everyone at the club, but this luck will run out soon if things don’t improve.

:lol:

Just now, Wandy said:

I don't personally think the 3 games so far are easy to quantify as "garbage". A tricky home game, reduced to 10 men, battled through it and rarely looked like losing. Then two difficult away games where we have started brightly then faded but could have easily won both. I think we can only play better and Tonali coming back fit and ready is massive for us. Take the positives mate, you'll feel better.

12 minutes ago, midds said:

We're still miles away from clicking and there's something not quite right about how we're playing, it's disjointed and looks a bit shit to be honest. But we're unbeaten in 3 and into the next round of the cup so there's definitely positives there, we have to crank it up a bit though and decide how we're going to play. 

Sunday will be both interesting and informative. First proper team we'll have to try and match, we'll know much more about us at 5pm on Sunday

Spot on 

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

It's beyond over-the-top. I think even the happiest of clappers would concede that the club's transition at the more corporate/strategic level has had a potentially destabilising effect: PSR chicanery, manager having to seek clarity on his role, lack of slickness re transfers, players uncertain about their future... however, we appear to be navigating it pretty well. Especially on the pitch, which is a credit to this cracking bunch of players. 

Just now, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Can people really not remember some of our worst performances under Bruce, Carver, Pardew etc. I can readily accept the team isnt firing right and the balance often seems off. It feels like people massively underestimate other teams. 

People are automatically thinking that because of a few players coming back and no Europe we'll automatically be better.  It never works out like that, the sport evolves.

We've probably started the season around 6/10 performance wise but we've seen for the majority of the last 2.5 years that we'll improve. We'll have to play better to get a result against Spurs but we will improve and have a very good season. 

Just now, LionOfGosforth said:

I don't personally think the 3 games so far are easy to quantify as "garbage". A tricky home game, reduced to 10 men, battled through it and rarely looked like losing. Then two difficult away games where we have started brightly then faded but could have easily won both. I think we can only play better and Tonali coming back fit and ready is massive for us. Take the positives mate, you'll feel better.

The positives are that we are getting results whilst playing poorly, and yeah, as the saying goes, that’s what good teams do. But we are only 3 games in and the players look weirdly lethargic/passive IMO and that is a key difference.

8 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Can people really not remember some of our worst performances under Bruce, Carver, Pardew etc. I can readily accept the team isnt firing right and the balance often seems off. It feels like people massively underestimate other teams. 

We are holding "this team" to a much higher standard though with 400m+ invested its harsh at times but if you want to be a consistent  top 6 side your gonna have to show up and play more often than not. 

League is very competitive and we were away which was an issue last year we haven't had a standout half yet never mind game. Even Howe goes on about building that momentum which comes from winning games and playing well. 

Although saying all that it's very early days. 

Edited by nufcjmc

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

It's beyond over-the-top. I think even the happiest of clappers would concede that the club's transition at the more corporate/strategic level has had a potentially destabilising effect: PSR chicanery, manager having to seek clarity on his role, lack of slickness re transfers, players uncertain about their future... however, we appear to be navigating it pretty well. Especially on the pitch, which is a credit to this cracking bunch of players. 

Fully agree, there has been a lot going on behind the scenes as you mention, PSR annoyances, executive changes, slow window probably partly due to the Euros but maybe we're just exercising caution? I'd love us to make a signing or two, not arguing it would freshen things up. One thing that's a constant is a cracking spirit within (most of) the players and a togetherness. The rust will shake off and things will improve surely.

3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The positives are that we are getting results whilst playing poorly, and yeah, as the saying goes, that’s what good teams do. But we are only 3 games in and the players look weirdly lethargic/passive IMO and that is a key difference.

Fully agree that everything is not perfect. I think there was a feeling amongst most of us that we would just pick up and go ballistic from minute 1, no Europe to hinder us after all. That hasn't happened but we can't play any worse, it'll get better and a signing by the weekend would certainly help.

We've largely been fairly shite IMO but four points and through in the cup is a really good return.

If we can somehow snake a win on Sunday and go into the break with that it will be incredible, even a point would be very solid.

Do feel we need a signing or two though, if we're truly working off Howe's targets and Mitchell doesn't get anything done then I do feel it doesn't bode well for their future working relationship.

I'm not saying that everything is perfect but to call today's performance 'absolute garbage' or even fortunate is bed-wetting at its best, like leaving the atmosphere grade.

We'll look much better when we are starting Schär-Burn or hopefully Schär-Guehi/someone else soon with zero disrespect to Burn and Krafth.

Edited by Pata