Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

This Wilson thing is now a major issue, really disappointed in Howe TBH.

There are changes I’d like to see,

Burn <> Targett

Miggy <> Murphy (I actually wouldn’t expect much from Murphy but Almiron could do with a rest and Murphy’s sub performances recently have shown he offers something different and that he’s in form 

Trippier <> Manquillo (if only to give Trippier a breather)

All of the above changes are arguable, especially as Targett is coming back after a long injury lay-off. If he’d been match fit I’ve have played Targett weeks ago though. What’s not arguable and hasn’t been for weeks is:

Wilson <> Isak

It absolutely has to happen next week 

Big decisions didn't work out today, for sure.

Kept faith with Wilson who rewarded him with an abject all-round display capped off with an embarrassingly bad attempt on the big chance that fell to him. Then Isak looked really sharp when he did some on.

Neither Gordon or Almiron offered anything going forward after ASM was unlucky to be dropped.

Burn got another game at LB and looked again very much like a big CB playing out of position with the way Foden just glided by him.

That said, I'm not sure Targett is fit enough to start and there was a definite logic in playing two wingers who excel at pressing. Starting Wilson was the only decision that was really bad IMO.

Next week will tell us a lot. I can see why he didn't want to change much before a cup final or an away game with Man City but we've been toothless for a while and with two games we'll be favoured in coming up we need to figure it out.

No issue with Howe other than the loyalty to Wilson and to a lesser extent Almiron. If today doesn't justify removing the former from the starting line-up I'll be questioning his judgement. 

We're still playing mostly decent football, we just can't put the fucking thing in the net. 

5 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

It’s football. It’s about scoring goals. 

:lol: consistently getting huge chances to score goals but missing them suggests that not everything is wrong then, but you already know that.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

:lol: consistently getting huge chances to score goals but missing them suggests that not everything is wrong then, but you already know that.

You were playing that tune weeks ago. 3 games and 3 2-0 defeats later you can surely see there’s a massive issue?

Never said everything was wrong. We’ve got a fine team in places. He’s getting all of the big calls wrong now, though. Wilson over Isak, not giving Almiron a rest. ASM once again benched in the type of game he’s perfect for…

Too many players off the boil at the moment, Miggy's purple patch elevating us above our station, but with him inevitably dropping off we needed one of our strikers to pick up the slack. Tripper looks a shadow of his pre-world cup self, Bruno has struggled recently too. For all the slating Murphy and Lascelles have got they have actually come in and done a job, maybe we do need to give some fringe players some time on the pitch and rest some obviously jaded, possibly complacent starters. 

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

You were playing that tune weeks ago. 3 games and 3 2-0 defeats later you can surely see there’s a massive issue?

Never said everything was wrong. We’ve got a fine team in places. He’s getting all of the big calls wrong now, though. Wilson over Isak, not giving Almiron a rest. ASM once again benched in the type of game he’s perfect for…

Erm...:lol:

Another Ronald:anguish: special 

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

To Liverpool, Man United, and Man City? Nah, not really.

The finishing is a big issue, but I don't buy for a second that the issue extends beyond that, or that the remedy is anything other than better finishing, perhaps with fatigue being a factor. Wilson now needs to be dropped for sure, the other calls are totally justifiable.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, toon25 said:

Erm...:lol:

Another Ronald:anguish: special 

Where did I say everything was wrong? The club is blessed in a lot of areas - for now. If you can’t distinguish between that and manager getting the big decisions wrong it’s not my problem, Brains.

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

No issue with Howe other than the loyalty to Wilson and to a lesser extent Almiron. If today doesn't justify removing the former from the starting line-up I'll be questioning his judgement. 

We're still playing mostly decent football, we just can't put the fucking thing in the net. 

I think this is fair and balanced but honestly, he needs to be more proactive than this, Wilson’s been shite for months…

3 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I think this is fair and balanced but honestly, he needs to be more proactive than this, Wilson’s been shite for months…

It's also a little bit of a worry if he's going to manage us in Europe. We're definitely not going to be able to play the same team every game so he needs to be able to rotate successfully.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

27 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Nee surprise at all to see Pilko liking this post, like. :lol:

Seriously, man - fuck off. 

:lol: fuck off yourself, if you've got an axe to grind with me personally send me a PM.

He is not the type to change things quickly.  You can call the line up.  You can call the subs and the window he’ll make them in. 

I thought Nketiah looked dangerous when he was on his barren run.   Gets dropped for Trossard and the goals start flowing again. Eddie would’ve persisted with Nketiah in this example.  

Edited by The College Dropout

Howe said in the week that Isak was close but not quite there yet which is probably why he didn't start today. Any players signed by Howe have been introduced over several games, Gordon hasn't really had that luxury and I think he'll get better. Some of our players have played nearly every game so something had to give 

7 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Burn ruins our left side and Almiron our right side in attack atm.

We're desperate for a change. Hope he can see it as well.

Hate inverted wingers. Left footer left wing right footer right wing. Simples.

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Where did I say everything was wrong? The club is blessed in a lot of areas - for now. If you can’t distinguish between that and manager getting the big decisions wrong it’s not my problem, Brains.

Keep backpedaling. :lol:

It’s not clear to me that Howe got it wrong today like. We should’ve scored at least 2 goals and the ones we let in were soft. Man City are amazing.

The miss from Wilson was terrible, and maybe Isak scores it. But apart from that you can see logic behind Howe’s decisions.

I hope to see ASM, Isak and Targett play in the next couple. But this was a game where you can understand going for grafters. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He is not the type to change things quickly.  You can call the line up.  You can call the subs and the window he’ll make them in. 

I thought Nketiah looked dangerous when he was on his barren run.   Gets dropped for Trossard and the goals start flowing again. Eddie would’ve persisted with Nketiah in this example.  

Massively harsh :lol:

We really don’t have the sample size for this kind of conclusion. 

For me, the system has to change, even if only temporarily until we can regain some confidence. 3 goals in our last 8 league games and we've struggled to test the keeper in most. We need to stop playing right footers on the left and left footers on the right as they're extremely one-footed players. They will run to the byline only to turn back onto their stronger foot and by then the attack is pretty much gone and we play it backwards or in to Bruno. ASM gets doubled up on down the left more often than not now and we aren't getting Almiron through on goal anymore down the right. Teams have sussed our style of play and we aren't adapting. There's something very Southgate about it in my opinion with the lack of a plan B.

Over the next couple of games I would say play Isak or one of ASM/Gordon in a 10 role, Almiron wide left with Targett overlapping and one of Gordon/ASM on the right, with Longstaff and Bruno sitting behind while Joelinton serves his suspension.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s not clear to me that Howe got it wrong today like. We should’ve scored at least 2 goals and the ones we let in were soft. Man City are amazing.

The miss from Wilson was terrible, and maybe Isak scores it. But apart from that you can see logic behind Howe’s decisions.

I hope to see ASM, Isak and Targett play in the next couple. But this was a game where you can understand going for grafters. 

It's hard to remain balanced after our third defeat in as many games, by the same fucking score, after missing good chances in all 3. But this is where i'm (trying to be) at. We're maybe not quite as dynamic as we were in the Autumn but making chances is not our biggest issue, even with "tired" players.

I do think maybe he was thinking that to change today, and lose anyway, was the wrong move.I'd expect 2-3 changes next week in a much more winnable game. Today was frustrating, but more to do with making and missing chances, than getting things massively wrong.

I backed his decision to play Wilson in the cup final as I thought it was the right thing to play the team that essentially got us into 4th place. Yet again though, in that game, Wilson did nothing to justify the faith that the manager put in him. He should have been dropped today, no question about it.

If Wilson plays ahead of Isak next week then Eddie will feel his first bit of wrath from the support.

Edited by Wandy