Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, huss9 said:

i reckon this team is better. SBR didnt have a great defence. other than a season of Woodgate, he had a squad of average defenders at best.

This is definitely a better side - Robson’s centre halves weren’t great.  Remember when he paid ten times as much for Bramble as Arsenal did for Toure in 2002?  I do. 

Given, Dyer, Solano, Speed, Shearer were all already at the club and first teamers when Robson arrived.  The transformational signings were Robert and Bellamy - they completely changed how we played, suddenly we could stretch teams on the flanks, and Bellamy and Dyer supplied pace almost as inside forwards, freeing up room from a massively slowed-down Shearer.  With Speed in there too, we often had six players capable of scoring goals in attack - we steamrolled a lot of teams. 

We did though spend an awful lot of money on mediocre players, or at least players who were unlucky with injuries.  Woodgate made our very average back line look temporarily good - he was an unbelievable centre half, still unmatched in B&W for me.  

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Given, Dyer, Solano, Speed, Shearer were all already at the club and first teamers when Robson arrived.  The transformational signings were Robert and Bellamy - they completely changed how we played, suddenly we could stretch teams on the flanks, and Bellamy and Dyer supplied pace almost as inside forwards, freeing up room from a massively slowed-down Shearer.  With Speed in there too, we often had six players capable of scoring goals in attack - we steamrolled a lot of teams. 

We did though spend an awful lot of money on mediocre players, or at least players who were unlucky with injuries.  Woodgate made our very average back line look temporarily good - he was an unbelievable centre half, still unmatched in B&W for me.  

I could swear our first choices in those positions that summer were Zenden and Jeffers, thank fuck we got those two instead

1 minute ago, LionOfGosforth said:

I could swear our first choices in those positions that summer were Zenden and Jeffers, thank fuck we got those two instead

Felt like we were linked with Zenden for what seemed like forever. Him and Boa Morte.

4 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

They definitely were :) 

Zenden was a good footballer tbf - though not in Robert’s class for me.  Franny Jeffers … not so much

There’s a couple of those moments in our history.  What happens if Keegan signs John Salako as planned in summer ‘95 - and isn’t forced to turn PSG’s left sided forward when he heads to Coventry instead?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-salako-dismisses-newcastle-as-a-move-too-far-1587765.html

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

They definitely were :) 

Zenden was a good footballer tbf - though not in Robert’s class for me.  Franny Jeffers … not so much

There’s a couple of those moments in our history.  What happens if Keegan signs John Solako as planned in summer ‘95 - and isn’t forced to turn PSG’s left sided forward when he heads to Coventry instead?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-salako-dismisses-newcastle-as-a-move-too-far-1587765.html

Zenden was fairly decent for Chelsea if memory serves, though not in Robert's class. Jeffers was just shit and a right cunt to boot. 

The Solako thing, I had totally forgotten that happened, think he signed for Coventry instead and played against us opening day. Ginola was fucking incredible that day as well :lol:

11 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Zenden was fairly decent for Chelsea if memory serves, though not in Robert's class. Jeffers was just shit and a right cunt to boot. 

The Solako thing, I had totally forgotten that happened, think he signed for Coventry instead and played against us opening day. Ginola was fucking incredible that day as well :lol:

Haha yep, the fixture list is fun like that sometimes.  Thirty-odd thousand collectively thinking ‘narrow miss that’ when Daveeed first picked up the ball. 

Tindall is the manager of team Top Shagger, man. What’s not to love?

It’s fucking mint having an assistant manager that is actually engaged and a big part of the day-to-day and that is clearly incredibly trusted by the guy at the top.

We won 6 out of 7 including 3 away wins spurs and man u at home

They won 5 out of 7 1 draw 1 loss to man u

They beat forest bournemouth leicester chelsea( the piss poor version)

Obviously that win at home against us won it for him🙄🙄🙄