Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

We started the game with 4-3-3, and we looked terrible and couldn’t create much threat. Then we switched to 4-4-2, and we improved a lot and controlled the game. We scored two goals, then we went back to 4-3-3 and lost control of the game. 

It is is not that 4-3-3 is bad for us, it is more like Bruno/Willock/Joelinton is just not very well-balanced. Only Bruno can pass the ball and create chances, and he is still the only one of the 3 who can play in front of our defenders and get the ball forward. He just can’t do both alone. If you think about Willock’s best moments with us, they would mostly be him playing wide or near the line. He isn’t the sort of player who can excel playing centrally against a congested defense. It isn’t that Longstaff is THAT good, it’s more like his role offers great balance to our midfield. 

Edited by Solitude20

16 minutes ago, christ said:

They were all guarding Tindall.

On this, feel like we need to refocus this week.

The Tindall stuff did feel like a sideshow and not something we needed.

14 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Murphy got a knock cause that was a weird call? I get the idea of Almiron cutting in to shoot against a packed defence but Murphy is much better at making things happen in the final third at speed.

Discounting Pope and Wilson's individual brilliance/steeliness, I thought Miggy was arguably our best player. 

I thought he worked hard. But was mainly dreadful when it came to making a decision. He always wanted 3-4 touches, as per usual. 

His lack of quality and also the ability to even touch it with his right foot, when he gets in behind kills us. 

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Discounting Pope and Wilson's individual brilliance/steeliness, I thought Miggy was arguably our best player. 

Really? There were at least a couple of occasions where he just let it run out of play off him. Infuriatingly basic for me today. 

Poor old Eddie, why were they giving him grief, he's one of the nicest blokes in football - reckon Leeds should play their remaining home games (or the next few) behind closed doors and get a hefty fine, could have ended much differently if the pitch invader had a knife or something.

3 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Poor old Eddie, why were they giving him grief, he's one of the nicest blokes in football - reckon Leeds should play their remaining home games (or the next few) behind closed doors and get a hefty fine, could have ended much differently if the pitch invader had a knife or something.

Reckon they should get auto relegation

Think he needs to go back to the tried and tested 4-3-3 and bench Wilson. Get a bit of solidity in CM and bring Wilson on after 60. Got no problem with him giving Isak and Wilson a start, both were in great form before Arsenal and I can understand him doing it, I'd even support him doing it, hindsight is wonderful. 

But it's not really worked, 1 point from 6 isn't a great return and we've not played that well today. Leeds huffed and puffed but offered little but still scored 2. We looked better moving Isak central but he needs to start as a 9 from now on. Wilson off the bench if needed as a first sub but the experiment hasn't worked unfortunately. 

Interesting to see if he'd bench Wilson after scoring another 2, they were both pens which Isak could have easily scored so it would be the right decision.

FWIW I don't see him benching either unless SL is back. I think he'll go Isak in behind.

Edited by Alberto2005

We desperately need Longstaff or ASM to be ready to start.

Isak left and Wilson up top hasn't worked but the only other option he's really had the last two games to play LW was Gordon who's been more or less useless. I guess maybe Anderson could have started but that's a massive gamble too.

Longstaff back with Joelinton pushed forward to LW or else just ASM in for Wilson and Isak to CF.

If neither of them are ready I really don't know what I think the right move is.

10 minutes ago, midds said:

Think he needs to go back to the tried and tested 4-3-3 and bench Wilson. Get a bit of solidity in CM and bring Wilson on after 60. Got no problem with him giving Isak and Wilson a start, both were in great form before Arsenal and I can understand him doing it, I'd even support him doing it, hindsight is wonderful. 

But it's not really worked, 1 point from 6 isn't a great return and we've not played that well today. Leeds huffed and puffed but offered little but still scored 2. We looked better moving Isak central but he needs to start as a 9 from now on. Wilson off the bench if needed as a first sub but the experiment hasn't worked unfortunately. 

I think the Longstaff injury has been the biggest factor. Unable to play the two Joe's down that left side with him missing which I think he would have went with in both games if he could. 

Isak on the left with Wilson through the middle probably was the right call over ASM or Gordon starting. The midfield balance and lack of cover there is what's killing us really. 

27 minutes ago, midds said:

Feels like Isak has been neutered in that LW role, needs to be up front with Wilson off the bench 100% agree

30 minutes ago, midds said:

:thup: for several reasons we need to move past the concept of being in the starting XI as the holy grail. We get 100 subs every game, and we have a very energy-sapping style of play. We need to plan for the whole 90 minutes. 

We were better off when we had the hard worky hardworkersons starting on the wings, and then utilizing Wilson/Isak off the bench. Either as an additional attacking fret, or just as a direct replacement for one another to freshen things up and give us an outlet for when the opponents are pushing up and chasing the game. 

5 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

:thup: for several reasons we need to move past the concept of being in the starting XI as the holy grail. We get 100 subs every game, and we have a very energy-sapping style of play. We need to plan for the whole 90 minutes. 

We were better off when we had the hard worky hardworkersons starting on the wings, and then utilizing Wilson/Isak off the bench. Either as an additional attacking fret, or just as a direct replacement for one another to freshen things up and give us an outlet for when the opponents are pushing up and chasing the game. 

Thing is you can bring Wilson on after 55 mins in virtually any situation

winning comfortably? sub him on for Isak and rest his legs

cagey as fuck? bring Wilson on and switch Isak into a 10 or LW to pose a different problem

losing and needing a goal? bring Wilson on an go to 4231 with Isak wide or a conventional 442/4411 with 2 central CFs

2 hours ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Because they’re Leeds.  A right cuddly bunch. 

Having a tendency to start really slow in recent games (with one obvious exception).  

Not sure if players are feeling the effects of a long season.  Especially with our relatively small squad.  

Guest reefatoon
2 hours ago, NEEJ said:

Really? There were at least a couple of occasions where he just let it run out of play off him. Infuriatingly basic for me today. 

Yeah Almiron was dreadful.