Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I’m not too worried about Howe getting the tactics right. It’s just that some of our best players have looked quite off in the last couple of games. CM doesn’t look as well balanced either. Fingers crossed we can be at our best on Thursday.

5 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

The Brighton game is a good opportunity for Howe to show us what a good coach he is. Everyone knows how Brighton play and it is possible to negate their strengths as Everton did recently.  We will have a better idea after the match how high Eddie's ceiling is.

Agree but that would mean sitting back against them and hitting them on the counter. At home. In a huge match we really need to win if at all possible. Doing that would go against everything Howe has championed - 'intensity is our identity' would go out of the window. 

Not saying you're wrong but I can't see Howe changing the approach to the game. We'll press them and hope they don't/can't play through us as easily as Arsenal did. I think :lol:

Tbf Eddie has been getting the tactics spot on - we just need to stop giving soft goals away.  We've been creating chances just gifting goals.  Tightening up at the back is key. Sadly this is where Longstaff has been a miss.

11 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

The Brighton game is a good opportunity for Howe to show us what a good coach he is. Everyone knows how Brighton play and it is possible to negate their strengths as Everton did recently.  We will have a better idea after the match how high Eddie's ceiling is.

Can't fully disagree with this.  Midds has basically summarised my perspective above, though.

Howe is in a difficult spot as I think he's still very much in the identity building phase of this club. I think he's, rightly, tried to leap frog the 'cautious development' phase of sneaking into 7th and instead get an essentially average squad playing like champions. And it usually works, in the same way having the best hand on the flop in poker usually means you win the round. But it doesn't always, and playing the percentages isn't good enough to win a given tournament.

I can't pin any blame on Howe however things go over the next 3 games after the season we've had because there's not enough evidence to do so given the circumstances. As outsiders, we're only scratching the surface when we try to understand the adversity he has overcome. But, it is true that to me, the ability to break a pattern, spring a surprise and do a number on an opponent in a zero sum game is a big part of what separates the great players from the book learners in life.

You can be intense without trying to press the GK and both CBs. 

Brighton play without fear and practice playing through a press relentlessly. They always know where to be. Where to pass. 

The last two times we’ve come up against a team whose tactics don’t favour us we’ve lost without scoring. 

On 14/05/2023 at 03:16, Kanji said:

What i miss about last seasons end of season team and earlier this season was our aggressive and ruthless defending. Our guys look so fucking passive now. If it’s not spurs at home it’s late and lethargic like today. No in betwen.  

Lads might be tired. But it's bad.

I was away at the weekend so missed the incident with the fan at Leeds. Seems bloody shocking that like. Do we know if it was one of our supporters or a Leeds fan? 

2 minutes ago, Stal said:

I was away at the weekend so missed the incident with the fan at Leeds. Seems bloody shocking that like. Do we know if it was one of our supporters or a Leeds fan? 

Why would it have been one of our supporters? :lol:

1 minute ago, NEEJ said:

Why would it have been one of our supporters? :lol:

Because you get idiots all across the board. I assume from the way you phrased your question response that it was a Leeds fan.

1 hour ago, Weznufc said:

Fully deserved this, but it will probably go to pep. 

Man City were expected to win the league- it's criminal really if Eddie doesn't win 

If the award is given based on their achievements relative to the context and expectations at the beginning of the season, it should go to Arteta or Howe imo. 

But there's a good case for all of them aside from Silva, probably. Fulham have done well but I wouldn't say there's anything especially remarkable about their achievements this season. Won 15, lost 15, safe and secure, which is good for a promoted side, but not enough to win the award. 

Emery has obviously done a hell of a job converting Villa from relegation candidates into European candidates, and their from in that spell of ten games was phenomenal, but I don't think you can give him the award based on that, just as you couldn't for Howe last season. 

Pep's maybe the best in the league but he has the most resources at his disposal of anyone and I think that's a valid caveat whenever this conversation comes up. Their only challenger this season has been a very young Arsenal team who, despite having a phenomenal year, were inevitably not going to be strong or experienced enough to stop Superficial FC. 

De Zerbi has deserved the adulation he's received but if we get Champions League I fail to see how he's bettered Howe's achievements. If we don't, it's Arteta's regardless imo.