Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I went to most games that season, and anyone else who did wouldn’t write what you’ve written there.  Context is important - it doesn’t matter if the Ashley years proved to be awful.  Robson was finished and we could all see it - he’d lost the support of the fans, dressing room and owners.  But we should have kept him on.  Aye, alright - we were just impatient.  

I'd like to add Liverpool got rid of Houllier for finishing 4th and got a certain Rafa Benitez in.....

I differ on Bobby - I hadn't lost faith and felt it was a rancid decision at the time. I don't think he lost control, I think he suffered for lack of continued investment in the team so it couldn't evolve. Similar to the strange debate currently being had on Eddie Howe, shouldn't the Marseille semi-final be given a good chunk of context? A lot of our key players were missing which wasn't the case for the other team.

There were players who were challenging his authority because frustration boiled over about early exit from the CL and then not being able to get back there in my view - at that point, a sensible chairman or board would have backed him and either recycled the players giving him grief or examined the situation and found another manager who would suit the playing staff. Let's be fair - did we do any better for backing Jermaine fucking Jenas and Kieron Dyer over Robson? We ended up with Souness and 2 decades of nonsense. I always thought at the time that people calling for Robson's head - and I think there were a lot, but I never thought majority of the fanbase - didn't know what they were wishing for and had short-term delusions of grandeur. Same thing happening with Howe now to some extent - he has some small flaws to work out but, to use the frame of the debate, I'd rate him as "well on the way to being elite, provided he learns from mistakes". I personally think he'll be a big name in European football for a long time.

:thup: Yeah there were definitely big mistakes made at board level. They either needed to back Robson or move him upstairs, what we ended up doing was the worst way to handle it. Undermining him before a ball was kicked as you say, signing players he didn't seem to want (Butt over Carrick felt a sliding doors moment) and getting Souness in next. Really shit decision making which set us back years. 

55 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

:thup: Yeah there were definitely big mistakes made at board level. They either needed to back Robson or move him upstairs, what we ended up doing was the worst way to handle it. Undermining him before a ball was kicked as you say, signing players he didn't seem to want (Butt over Carrick felt a sliding doors moment) and getting Souness in next. Really shit decision making which set us back years. 

Add-in selling Speed to that incident without his say-so/knowledge. Scandalous. 

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

I differ on Bobby - I hadn't lost faith and felt it was a rancid decision at the time. I don't think he lost control, I think he suffered for lack of continued investment in the team so it couldn't evolve. Similar to the strange debate currently being had on Eddie Howe, shouldn't the Marseille semi-final be given a good chunk of context? A lot of our key players were missing which wasn't the case for the other team.

There were players who were challenging his authority because frustration boiled over about early exit from the CL and then not being able to get back there in my view - at that point, a sensible chairman or board would have backed him and either recycled the players giving him grief or examined the situation and found another manager who would suit the playing staff. Let's be fair - did we do any better for backing Jermaine fucking Jenas and Kieron Dyer over Robson? We ended up with Souness and 2 decades of nonsense. I always thought at the time that people calling for Robson's head - and I think there were a lot, but I never thought majority of the fanbase - didn't know what they were wishing for and had short-term delusions of grandeur. Same thing happening with Howe now to some extent - he has some small flaws to work out but, to use the frame of the debate, I'd rate him as "well on the way to being elite, provided he learns from mistakes". I personally think he'll be a big name in European football for a long time.

I agree on what you are saying. The reason I think many where calling for SBRs head was because the club had stagnated and started to move in the wrong directions. Many wanted more structure in the squad, we had fantastic offensive players and lacked good defensive players. There were also rumours of a world class Ottmar Hitzfeld comming here. 

Some times I wish SBR wasnt such a honorable gentleman and came out and said the board was buying the players behind his back and say what he needed. But this wasnt him, he was a much bigger man! Think the board had neglected him a few transfer windows and this made our squad unbalanced with loads of big egoes.

I do think if people had knew what was going on at the time that people would have backed him and called for a sacking of the board instead. Makes me really sad thinking back how bad they threated him..

20 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Seriously hope PIF don’t have an itchy trigger finger. 

Saudi is known for good human rights, so I hope he survives. My only concern is whether Howe's style is sustainable year after year without a 30-man squad.

6 minutes ago, Krabbe2 said:

Saudi is known for good human rights, so I hope he survives. My only concern is whether Howe's style is sustainable year after year without a 30-man squad.

It doesnt help with 30 players if we dont rotate.. 

As long as lessons are learnt all for this guy.

Can't even prepare a team or train properly are the moment.  The fixture list is insane as well as our injuries.

How is any squad/manager supposed to manage this.  January can't come soon enough.

Edited by dcmk

39 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Seriously hope PIF don’t have an itchy trigger finger. 

Think this is really unlikely. Staveley + whoever else will be unwavering. Our technical strategy has increasingly become long Eddie Howe. It would need to get so bad PIF were questioning their competency, and we are nowhere near that. 

Just now, LiquidAK said:

Not a single manager in the world I'd swap him for.

Anyone actually advocating for moving him on is deranged. Fortunately only seen a couple who feel that way.

Combination of Injuries and fixture list have killed the team.

Just now, Decky said:

He really needs to sort the away form out fast. Its not even just about fatigue because its been poor all season. Being away to Liverpool and Villa in the next two away games won't help. :lol: 

With fixtures so quick and so fast.  Can he even prepare the team?  He can barely rotate nor train with any intensity.  Since we have been thread bare for so long.